Visitors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Visitors

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:As long as s/he fits in a standard seat

I read about a very fat man who was told he had to pay for two seats
He was allocated one at the front and one at the back :?

I went to see a show once, a very large gentleman sat in front of me - he'd obviously done this before because he purchased two seats since he couldn't fit into one.
Trouble is he had an harse cheek in each seat which meant he was actually sat on the arm raising him up by a good foot plus the rows are all staggered by half a seat so he was directly in front of me. :shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've long maintained that when people check in ready for a flight, the luggage PLUS PERSON should be weighed and charged accordingly.

I find it rather annoying that me and Mrs Mick F are quite slim and light, but we pay the same for our luggage as Mr Fat Man pays - and he's probably heavier than the two of us put together plus our luggage! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:I've long maintained that when people check in ready for a flight, the luggage PLUS PERSON should be weighed and charged accordingly.

I find it rather annoying that me and Mrs Mick F are quite slim and light, but we pay the same for our luggage as Mr Fat Man pays - and he's probably heavier than the two of us put together plus our luggage! :shock:

Plus One, one could do without breakfast to save a bit of weight/cash, cheaper for kiddies too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

"Emotional Support"!? :shock:

Why can't these people do as the little girl does in the novel Chocolat - have an Emotional Support animal* that no-one else can see?

*I believe it was a rabbit in the book - but in the movie it transmogrified into a wallaby...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I have placed a bird feeder dangling from abit of the roof on my balcony. Wow talk about Blue-Tits. I seem to have cornered the market on them, so many visit. They seem to be running a shuttle service to it from across the road some where. they dont like misc seeds but do love the black sunflower seeds. Now some young squirrels have decided to climb up the wall to my balcony and stupidly think its a sensible idea to try and jump off the metal rail up onto the birdfeeder ( the older squirrels take one look and try reaching and move on). Seems like young squirrels are as stupid as other species as one gnawed thru one the bungy straps I was using to secure the feeder from the bottom to stop it swaying in teh wind. I mean why chew thru a cable that other squirrels had tried to use to get up to the bird feeder. talk about stupid? The only thing two very fat and I mean FAAAAAAT ( how on earth can they fly?) pigeons seem to have decided to hoover any food.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if you have trouble with critters on walls etc I have found these effective

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARBED-WIRE-RAZOR-WIRE-ALTERNATIVE-HOME-GARDEN-SECURITY-B/172816334180?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471598853039&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

nope they have learnt how to walk on them grrr :evil:
Last edited by mercalia on 26 Jan 2019, 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Science gets a look in - Squirrel in a bottle

[youtube]sS4ach0CwN4[/youtube]
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

mercalia wrote:well I take my hat off to this squirrel...

And I take mine off to one of our visitors,

if only because he came with his own hat rack.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Mick F wrote:I've long maintained that when people check in ready for a flight, the luggage PLUS PERSON should be weighed and charged accordingly.

Easyjet already do a primitive version of that: they charge extra for seats with more legroom, so anyone with the temerity to be significantly taller than average (with, presumably, the accompanying additional weight) has to choose between paying extra and being more cramped than other passengers.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Tree rats!

I thought pigeons were tree rats?

To quote the "Shadow" in Blackadder

I hate them with their long tails and their stupid twitchy noses!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Have camera will get a squirrel?

[youtube]PNEJ6GaeGRU[/youtube]
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

duh!

[youtube]HTPOSdyA7Uo[/youtube]
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Pastychomper wrote:

Easyjet already do a primitive version of that: they charge extra for seats with more legroom, so anyone with the temerity to be significantly taller than average (with, presumably, the accompanying additional weight) has to choose between paying extra and being more cramped than other passengers.

And the parallel is probably even closer for fat vs thin people.... as research indicates a strong genetic component to weight, with factors such as gut biome probably big factors too along with night work and poor shift patterns disrupting sleep- increasingly prevalent in our society. Of course that doesn't suit many as alot of people enjoy a prejudice, and labelling fat people as morally inferior (for not "moving more and eating less") under a poorly-disguised veneer of "caring for their health" allows the majority to continue enjoying their scapegoat. Unfortunately, medics are aften some of the most judgemental.

I am quite a fan of "Angry Chef" and got his latest book after reading a Guardian review. It's worth a read- with an open mind even when it causes a degree of uncomfortable self-examination (confronting one's subconsicous bias is always uncomfortable especially when one is convinced one is a morally good progressive liberal who does not unfairly discriminate). His moral of the "Easter Lapwing" should be compulsory reading for all medics and all people wishing to express a view about cause and effect..... :

TPO
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, I seem to recall a time when folk were weighed when they arrived for a flight plus their luggage of course?
But as I see it luggage is another element that expanded with the obesity crisis, along with cars, umbrella and cars! So the average traveller carries more clothes on a single trip than I actually had until I started work.
I still travel under the old rule - "If it won't fit into a pair of panniers I won't take it! IGICB MM
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

On one of our ferries there are reclining seats 3 abreast. I used to sit in the inside seat when travelling but gave up and use the outside one now as the 2 adjacent seats seem to be a magnet for 2 very fat women. When complaining about this to my GP friend it was pointed out that some people cannot help being fat. All well and good but with the last pair the outside one went off and came back with 2 burgers and a double portion of chips —- each. They everlapped my seat so much I had to get up and go elsewhere. Sitting on the outside seems to reduce the attraction of the inside seats as they have to climb over my legs and rucksack to get in. Antisocial perhaps on my part but not as much as them.