Visitors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11514
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Visitors

Postby mercalia » 1 Oct 2019, 10:01am

Oldjohnw wrote:Grey squirrels are lovely little things: they just shouldn't be here.

I understand that eighteen Pine Marten are being reintroduced to the Forest of Dean.


Why did the pine martens die out? Possibly they were thought to be a pest and killed off. The same for the red squirrels? I find the idea that certain animals don't belong here strange

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 308
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: Visitors

Postby Pastychomper » 1 Oct 2019, 10:07am

Tangled Metal wrote:Funny thing I learnt about grey squirrels was from a guy online from either side of the Canadian US border. Apparently he didn't know about uk grey squirrel problem. Where he's from the big issue is the grey's being out competed by foreign reds. The reds were bigger and better able to compete for resources so there was a legal take all you can, all year round for reds.

Obviously not our red squirrel species but it did confuse him awhile.


I've seen references by North Americans to the threat posed by reds, didn't realise they were talking about squirrels.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

kwackers
Posts: 13732
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Visitors

Postby kwackers » 1 Oct 2019, 10:12am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: Robins are around in the garden Waiting for food then getting chased off by blackbirds.

Robins are my favourite, my garden is full of them.
I love their curiosity, the way they'll follow you around whilst in the garden often hopping around ones feet.
And I love their song, I've one that hangs around the compost bins when I'm there that if you talk to it will start singing back.

It's easy to see why people like them so much.

Blackbirds are pretty good too, a bit more timid but will hang around.
Tits and finches are merely ornamental.
Starlings are basically boisterous teens.
And I do like magpies, fantastic looking birds and their privileged strutting is great.
I've a few wrens too although they take a lot of watching to see. So quick and so tiny.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1955
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Visitors

Postby Oldjohnw » 1 Oct 2019, 10:14am

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Grey squirrels are lovely little things: they just shouldn't be here.

I understand that eighteen Pine Marten are being reintroduced to the Forest of Dean.


Why did the pine martens die out? Possibly they were thought to be a pest and killed off. The same for the red squirrels? I find the idea that certain animals don't belong here strange


So far as I recall with pine martens it was late 19thC persecution: loss of habitat, the fur trade and assumptions about how damaging they were to game. The Red Squirrels have been driven out by competition from Grey's and squirrel pox, spread by Grey's but to which the Grey's are immune.
John

Cycling and recycling

mercalia
Posts: 11514
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Visitors

Postby mercalia » 1 Oct 2019, 12:01pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Grey squirrels are lovely little things: they just shouldn't be here.

I understand that eighteen Pine Marten are being reintroduced to the Forest of Dean.


Why did the pine martens die out? Possibly they were thought to be a pest and killed off. The same for the red squirrels? I find the idea that certain animals don't belong here strange


So far as I recall with pine martens it was late 19thC persecution: loss of habitat, the fur trade and assumptions about how damaging they were to game. The Red Squirrels have been driven out by competition from Grey's and squirrel pox, spread by Grey's but to which the Grey's are immune.


I seem to remember reading game keepers didn't like the reds for the reason now the greys, so killed them. Presumably a squirrel is a squirrel reds can be as destructive as greys if there are enough of them? Seems like greys are increasingly turning ginger rather attractive
Last edited by mercalia on 1 Oct 2019, 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercalia
Posts: 11514
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Visitors

Postby mercalia » 1 Oct 2019, 12:06pm

kwackers wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: Robins are around in the garden Waiting for food then getting chased off by blackbirds.

Robins are my favourite, my garden is full of them.
I love their curiosity, the way they'll follow you around whilst in the garden often hopping around ones feet.
And I love their song, I've one that hangs around the compost bins when I'm there that if you talk to it will start singing back.

It's easy to see why people like them so much.

Blackbirds are pretty good too, a bit more timid but will hang around.
Tits and finches are merely ornamental.
Starlings are basically boisterous teens.
And I do like magpies, fantastic looking birds and their privileged strutting is great.
I've a few wrens too although they take a lot of watching to see. So quick and so tiny.



We have some pigeon size all green birds. Any idea what they are - look like parrots. Noisy so and sos. And i think a kestrel. Tons of tits 3 floors up

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 900
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Visitors

Postby 100%JR » 1 Oct 2019, 12:10pm

mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: Robins are around in the garden Waiting for food then getting chased off by blackbirds.

Robins are my favourite, my garden is full of them.
I love their curiosity, the way they'll follow you around whilst in the garden often hopping around ones feet.
And I love their song, I've one that hangs around the compost bins when I'm there that if you talk to it will start singing back.

It's easy to see why people like them so much.

Blackbirds are pretty good too, a bit more timid but will hang around.
Tits and finches are merely ornamental.
Starlings are basically boisterous teens.
And I do like magpies, fantastic looking birds and their privileged strutting is great.
I've a few wrens too although they take a lot of watching to see. So quick and so tiny.



We have some pigeon size all green birds. Any idea what they are - look like parrots. Noisy so and sos. And i think a kestrel. Tons of tits 3 floors up


Parakeets are quite common in the SE.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras.Brexit makes no sense!!.

mercalia
Posts: 11514
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Visitors

Postby mercalia » 7 Oct 2019, 10:08am

100%JR wrote:
mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:Robins are my favourite, my garden is full of them.
I love their curiosity, the way they'll follow you around whilst in the garden often hopping around ones feet.
And I love their song, I've one that hangs around the compost bins when I'm there that if you talk to it will start singing back.

It's easy to see why people like them so much.

Blackbirds are pretty good too, a bit more timid but will hang around.
Tits and finches are merely ornamental.
Starlings are basically boisterous teens.
And I do like magpies, fantastic looking birds and their privileged strutting is great.
I've a few wrens too although they take a lot of watching to see. So quick and so tiny.



We have some pigeon size all green birds. Any idea what they are - look like parrots. Noisy so and sos. And i think a kestrel. Tons of tits 3 floors up


Parakeets are quite common in the SE.



well a flock of 13 or so of them decided to visit the tree across the road today - all that flashing green colour impressive. really very noisey though

brynpoeth
Posts: 11276
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Visitors

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Oct 2019, 10:31am

Saw some geese, about a hundred, flying west in almost perfect echelon

A rat scuttled across the cycle path in front of me, rats are ubiquitous apparently but one rarely sees one
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10690
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Visitors

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Oct 2019, 10:53am

Hi
Haven't seen a deer on my route for some time
But last time out a white tail scurried into the bush at hackney marshes (newton abbot) smallish no head gear, on my return a different one head on larger, some looked like one foot growths on the head, struggled to get off path with head in bush.
no kamikaze bats though.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

brynpoeth
Posts: 11276
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Visitors

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Oct 2019, 11:15am

True story from the newspaper :wink:
A jogger got back to his vehicle to find it surrounded, besieged by wild pigs
He tried making a noise to scare them off, but they stayed (he was braver than I should have been)
So he called the cops, who used blues and twos to frighten the wretched beasts away
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17310
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Visitors

Postby Vorpal » 7 Oct 2019, 12:10pm

I recently discovered that our bird house, which has been up on the shed for 3 years, has had residents this year. I had checked earlier in the year & saw no signs of nesting, but they were definitely going in and out on Saturday. I think it was blue tits, but I am not 100% certain & didn't want to try to get close enough for positive identification.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10690
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Visitors

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Oct 2019, 12:27pm

Hi,
Blue or Coal tit probably.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

mercalia
Posts: 11514
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Visitors

Postby mercalia » 7 Oct 2019, 1:09pm

just had a visit sitting on the rail of the balcony of a bird of prey. dont know which one it is. smaller than a big pigeon - Kestrel or sparrow hawk? well he didnt get any dinner from me, so flew off. One of the green birds tried to sit on the small platform that surrounds the sunflower seed bird feeder but didnt seem to have much joy, looked like one of the toy parrots bobbing on a line

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5840
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Visitors

Postby Tangled Metal » 7 Oct 2019, 4:08pm

Whenever I've seen Robin and blackbird altercations the Robin is always the winner. Cocky little birds and I've good reason to appreciate them.

Following a midwinter cold spell and a walk in a forest with route diversions not not enough diversion signs. It was getting dark and the batteries of my head torch was fading fast due to cold. But the robins were still out despite the low light. They were noisily calling from every diversion sign one after the other. So I followed the sound of them to get back to the track.

Jeez I was getting cold and tired so they were much appreciated. Of course we're just a modern day wild boar to them. That's their ancient way to get food. Follow the boar around to eat disturbed bugs. That's why they hang around gardeners digging.