Having the last Laugh

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 9048
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby al_yrpal » 9 Oct 2018, 12:37pm

The enormous value of 'Art' is in the minds of the few, its just like the value of gold, its rare. I and a few friends sell our paintings, it always amuses me that many people dont seem to care about an image and what it says but are more interested in whether it will increase in value.

It does keep people employed in galleries and auction rooms, they can all get on with it. Banksy is often clever and his commentary is brilliant, I love that he is taking the micturate :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby cyclemad » 9 Oct 2018, 1:56pm

yes, but Banksy is sill an over hyped Cock :D

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7668
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby Tangled Metal » 9 Oct 2018, 2:09pm

cyclemad wrote:yes, but Banksy is sill an over hyped Cock :D

And monet wasn't? Van Gogh? Picasso? Don't you think they're over hyped too? Or do you think the huge record sales prices they get at auctions are good value?

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby meic » 9 Oct 2018, 2:25pm

It is the perfect victimless crime isnt it?

I dont mean shredding the picture but taking millions of pounds off the wealthy in exchange for almost nothing but a famous name on a "canvas".
It all falls down when public bodies spend public money on it though. :(
Yma o Hyd

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16727
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mjr » 9 Oct 2018, 5:01pm

I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

cyclemad wrote:He / She really is a proper cock .

I think you mean Wanksy.

mercalia wrote:The big mistake Bansky made was not to use paint that faded very quickly to leave a blank canvass?

It was reportedly a 2006 framed copy, so 12 years wouldn't be very quick.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mercalia » 9 Oct 2018, 11:43pm

mjr wrote:I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

cyclemad wrote:He / She really is a proper cock .

I think you mean Wanksy.

mercalia wrote:The big mistake Bansky made was not to use paint that faded very quickly to leave a blank canvass?

It was reportedly a 2006 framed copy, so 12 years wouldn't be very quick.


hmm I am surprised the internal battery was still good, maybe why the shredder didnt complete the job?

I wonder if Banksy has broken a criminal damage law since he destroyed some ones property (unless he was the seller?)

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5324
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby RickH » 10 Oct 2018, 2:15pm

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:I still miss the Old Street mural. Another sin of TfL.

cyclemad wrote:He / She really is a proper cock .

I think you mean Wanksy.

mercalia wrote:The big mistake Bansky made was not to use paint that faded very quickly to leave a blank canvass?

It was reportedly a 2006 framed copy, so 12 years wouldn't be very quick.


hmm I am surprised the internal battery was still good, maybe why the shredder didnt complete the job?

I wonder if Banksy has broken a criminal damage law since he destroyed some ones property (unless he was the seller?)

The picture may have been made in 2006 but that doesn't necessarily mean the frame was. The picture could easily have been put in that frame quite recently.

PH
Posts: 9979
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby PH » 10 Oct 2018, 2:50pm

Graham wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that this "shredding event" was a completely staged piece of theatre, with the main participants fully aware ?

Yes, I think completely staged. Doesn't anyone think the auctioneers look closely at items they're selling? How does anyone think they checked it's provenance without taking it out of the frame?

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mercalia » 11 Oct 2018, 9:13pm

seems like the sale is going thru, the lady who bought it has decided to keep it

now called "Love is in the Bin"

( Banksy, you cant win against the "art world" -if naked ladies smothered in jam is art any thing goes :roll: )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45829853

if you are in London over the week end you can go and see it -

Love is in the Bin will be put on display to the public at Sotheby's New Bond Street galleries over the weekend.

Flinders
Posts: 3022
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby Flinders » 12 Oct 2018, 10:40pm

PH wrote:
Graham wrote:Does anyone else get the feeling that this "shredding event" was a completely staged piece of theatre, with the main participants fully aware ?

Yes, I think completely staged. Doesn't anyone think the auctioneers look closely at items they're selling? How does anyone think they checked it's provenance without taking it out of the frame?


Looks to me like it is two frames, one built onto the other. I can hardly think that people could see that and not smell a rat. It's just another gimmick.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2018, 7:18am

oh dear oh dear
Banksy 1, Art World 100, You lose Bansky. The "Arte Worlde" has Spoken

"This is what I think about Love is in the Bin. It will come to be seen as one of the most significant artworks of the early 21st Century.

It is not a great painting that can be compared to a late Rembrandt, or a sculpture to sit alongside Michelangelo's David, but in terms of conceptual art emanating from Duchamp's Dadaist sensibility, it is exceptional.

It was brilliant in both conception and execution. Take its initial creation, which was a stunning piece of site-specific, mechanically-aided, performance art: An attention-grabbing spectacle taking place within an attention-grabbing spectacle, which highlighted through dark satire how art has become an investment commodity to be auctioned off to ultra-wealthy trophy-hunters. "

Love is in the Bin - subtitle "why I dont want to be an artiste" or how to turn Nothing into Something


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45818204

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8797
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Oct 2018, 8:29am

I think that's a very thoughtful article by Gompertz.

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2018, 11:04am

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that's a very thoughtful article by Gompertz.


not really as he is part of the problem pretending to be outside of it all. really he thinks he is better than those other people buying the stuff. He has a very superior air about him? Think of any other disciplin where that sort of nonsense wouldbe taken seriously and part of the game? Only "Art" has no clear distinction between what is art and what isnt - would a creatrionist get much of a look in discussing the origins of the universe and black holes i dont think so. What Banksy did was just a jape no more no less , just as any one would play against any pompous person, like putting a bucket of water over a door to drench a teacher: would that be theregfore a part of a physics lesson on gravity? Art since the start of C20 has been bedevilled by not understanding this and allowed nobodies an audience with "works" like the unmade bed by whats-her-name.
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Oct 2018, 11:12am, edited 2 times in total.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8797
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Oct 2018, 11:08am

I said think that it was a very thoughtful article. It made me think. What part wasn't thoughtful, or are you answering a different question of your own?

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Having the last Laugh

Postby mercalia » 13 Oct 2018, 11:11am

Bonefishblues wrote:I said think that it was a very thoughtful article. It made me think. What part wasn't thoughtful, or are you answering a different question of your own?


maybe you should have said thought provoking?