R.I.P

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

R.I.P

Post by mercalia »

A minutes silence for the passing of Ray Galton who with Alan Simpson ( died 2017) brought us Steptoe & Son and Hancocks Half Hour.

steptoe.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45772088
landsurfer

Re: R.I.P

Post by landsurfer »

+1 .. soft and gentle humour, with an acid kick ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Along with Croft and Perry the end of an era of wonderful comedy that often included pathos as well as laughs. The best Hancock for me was the radio shows a lot of which got later TVd.

All there seems to be now is Upstart Crow but you have to know a bit about Shakespeare's plots and characters to get the best out of it. I love the Ricky character. Ben is a genius.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Along with Croft and Perry the end of an era of wonderful comedy that often included pathos as well as laughs. The best Hancock for me was the radio shows a lot of which got later TVd.

All there seems to be now is Upstart Crow but you have to know a bit about Shakespeare's plots and characters to get the best out of it. I love the Ricky character. Ben is a genius.

Al

I prefered the radio Hancock - those with Sid James and that Australian dimwit played by Bill Kerr. I have most if not all of them on minidisc.

I am just glad there hasnt been an attempt to redo them, a bad habit the yanks have eg The Bilko film should never have been made