Man shot dead by cyclist in Liverpool street

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Man shot dead by cyclist in Liverpool street

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Should read :- gangster shot dead by gangster in Liverpool.

would then be evolution at work cleaning out the members of society/ bad genes that serve no purpose?

No it just means one more young man is now dead that shouldn't be and another on the run with either a deed on his conscience to haunt him or a deadened coscience that may lead to him doing it again.
A life lost is someone's brother,son,father,friend,the loss will be great to someone.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read how the police shot and killed someone

All the reports read: male, 22 years old, **homeless** (my emphasis) :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

would then be evolution at work cleaning out the members of society/ bad genes that serve no purpose?

No it just means one more young man is now dead that shouldn't be and another on the run with either a deed on his conscience to haunt him or a deadened coscience that may lead to him doing it again.
A life lost is someone's brother,son,father,friend,the loss will be great to someone.

+ 1 .. :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

horizon wrote:I read this yesterday so I don't think it had been altered:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... belle-vale

The full link and URL itself reads: www. theguardian. com/uk-news/2018/oct/07/man-shot-dead-by-cyclist-in-liverpool-belle-vale

The actual article doesn't mention a cyclist.

I think "man riding a bicycle" is fair enough journalism. If the shooting had been from a car, the wording would surely have been "man driving a car" or "passenger in car". It's just that the word "cyclist" carries a stigma as seen by certain sectors of the population.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

This cycling-shooting thing does seem to be a distinct phenomenon in Liverpool, just as drive-by shootings are a thing in LA. I think it is relevant to mention the bike aspect of it, whatever the wording, because the bike is part of the way the crime is carried out. Nobody, surely, would think this reflected on normal cyclists.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:This cycling-shooting thing does seem to be a distinct phenomenon in Liverpool, just as drive-by shootings are a thing in LA. I think it is relevant to mention the bike aspect of it, whatever the wording, because the bike is part of the way the crime is carried out. Nobody, surely, would think this reflected on normal cyclists.

cant afford mopeds?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote: cant afford mopeds?

More bicycles than mopeds in L'pool, plus lots of police cars around the city bits so stolen mopeds get spotted fairly quickly.

I'm waiting for the ebike shootings to start. Can't believe the criminal fraternity haven't cottoned on yet.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

This.
It reminds me of the headline a few months ago that was something like "car attacked by Zombie-knife wielding cyclist"
On watching the video it was a bloke in a hoody on a (probably stolen)BSO who happened to be riding around with a foot-long knife!
We have kids around here riding stolen Dockless bikes.Are they "cyclists"?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I heard about it on the radio news and that went along the lines of a man being shot dead in a neighbourhood of v Liverpool and the killer escaped by bike. No mention of being a cyclist. Sure it was BBC radio too. A better day of reporting IMHO.

Gangster kills gangster? Possibly in a turf matter over supplying Middle classes with their drug of choice. Apparently the increased violence and number of killings is supposedly related to the county lines form of drug dealing, often to the middle classes which is where the boom is right now.

So are any of you guys going to be wiping excess white powder off the nose in a club toilet cubicle tonight? If so you're part of the problem.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tangled Metal wrote:So are any of you guys going to be wiping excess white powder off the nose in a club toilet cubicle tonight? If so you're part of the problem.

I stopped 'using' sherbet when they took the liquorice stick out.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

kwackers wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:So are any of you guys going to be wiping excess white powder off the nose in a club toilet cubicle tonight? If so you're part of the problem.

I stopped 'using' sherbet when they took the liquorice stick out.

Liquorice and cocaine. What a combination! Sorry "sherbet" :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100%JR wrote:

This.
It reminds me of the headline a few months ago that was something like "car attacked by Zombie-knife wielding cyclist"
On watching the video it was a bloke in a hoody on a (probably stolen)BSO who happened to be riding around with a foot-long knife!
We have kids around here riding stolen Dockless bikes.Are they "cyclists"?

PoBs, persons on bikes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Any chance that it makes motorists think twice before deliberately endangering cyclists? "...hold on....a cyclist....might be tooled up...."
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

djnotts wrote:Any chance that it makes motorists think twice before deliberately endangering cyclists? "...hold on....a cyclist....might be tooled up...."

" Watch out Shrek, he's got a piece!"