Which Kindle ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Which Kindle ?

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
kwackers wrote:....I'd prefer a slightly bigger form factor but that's just me....

I initially thought the same but the Oasis is significantly more expensive and having experience of none of them I guessed the extra £110 probably would not justify the benefits.

Ian

I have the original Oasis as I thought the detachable battery would be better for travelling, I can leave the external battery charging whilst still reading

It is fine, but annoying..... The battery warning comes on when the external battery is low, and you still have a full charge and hours of life left in the main battery

The options really come down to the page turn

If you are happy swiping tenth lower versions are fine, but difficult if you are reading one handed

Higher models have sensors that are onto side and pressing these turns the page, others have a proper raised button
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bobbin wrote:What about a Kobo ?
I use the Kobo app on my iPad as well ,they both sync.so you're always on the same page.
Not had a problem finding books,in fact my wish list is growing ever longer ! 8)

Kindle also has an iPad / iPhone app

The reason I use the kindle is threefold:

Lighter and easier to hold / carry when out
The screen is better in bright sunshine
The screen is more "sleep friendly" as there is no "blue" element to the screen
Bez

Post by Bez »

If you are happy swiping tenth lower versions are fine, but difficult if you are reading one handed

You don't need to swipe, you can tap the right or left of the screen to go forward or back respectively.

Works great when you're holding the Kindle in your right hand, less so in your left.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have a Paperwhite, and whilst I had a few moans about it at first, found it a bit awkward to handle, I'm now well used to it and I'd happily recommend it. I have over 120 books on mine now, saves a lot of paper and shelf space, and there's still oodles of memory for more books. I could probably get over 500 books on it without straining the memory banks.

The backlight is a real bonus (although remember: the brighter the backlight, the more drain on the battery!). Especially if you read in bed.

Remember to switch it to 'aeroplane mode' when you're not actually browsing or downloading. Also saves a lot of juice!

The touch-screen takes some getting used to - as others have said, you don't need to swipe whilst reading a book: simply tap on the right of the screen to turn the page forwards, left to turn back. You will need to swipe, however, when going through the index or booklist, or when doing a search. The 'search' function is rather limited: you tap on a word to highlight it (although, and this is a bugbear, when I do it this often causes several words at once to highlight). Once you've selected a word or phrase you can search up for it from the start of the book. There doesn't seem to be a facility for searching up and down from the current reading position (except with PDF files) which is a pity.

The dictionaries (some of which are provided as freebies) are a real boon! Download any that you might need. Handy, say, for going to a restaurant abroad, the Kindle has saved us many times from ordering the wrong thing! Much easier than lugging a paper copy of Collins-Robert around!

Remember, also, that you don't need to pay for any books that are out of copyright (in the UK, that means that the author died more than 70 years ago) - nor do you need to go to Am*z*n. You can download them for free in Kindle format from gutenberg.org (if you use them a lot, worth making a contribution to their site!). I don't use the built-in browser on the Kindle, I simply download the files to my PC and then copy them across via USB. You can also download your own files in PDF format. Remember that for these the font size adjustment won't work: if you try to zoom in you'll only see part of a page. Best to prepare the file in at least 16 or 18 point text for easy reading.

Hope this helps.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Kindle on a mobile is only for when you've forgotten your Kindle. Otherwise its just a waste of battery.

"I have the one with ads, and don't find it obtrusive. I'm quite good at ignoring ads (I think)." - Agree, you only see the ad for the brief second between switching on and swiping up. Don't tell the advertisers but they're pretty useless (those I've noticed the advertiser is Amazon anyway).
softlips

Post by softlips »

I have the basic version and prefer it over Paperwhite although I see the advantages of the latter.

Many people get sleep disruption with back lit screens.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It doesn't really matter what format a particular E reader uses as there are many free on line facilities to convert almost any format to almost any other for example https://www.epubconverter.com/azw-to-mobi-converter/ .
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Just a note for clarity, the paperwhite screen is not backlit, it is frontlit. A key difference in terms of eye fatigue.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mr bajokoses wrote:Just a note for clarity, the paperwhite screen is not backlit, it is frontlit. A key difference in terms of eye fatigue.

All 'paper' displays are front lit (actually, they're really side lit).
I think folk use the term "backlight" fairly generically.