Hell On A Cycle Path.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Hell On A Cycle Path.

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I did not specify what gender.
Yeah, Sort of been there before with the police, we will see how it pans out.

See my EDIT above :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would have found that experience very upsetting and frightening, and it would take me a long while to come to terms with it.

I think that sometimes in these situations the police will, after reviewing all the evidence, ask the victim how they would like the police to proceed, e.g. whether the victim wants the perpetrator to be prosecuted, to receive a caution, or for the police just to have informal words with the perpetrator. If you are asked, I would say that you want him/her to be prosecuted, even though I appreciate you might wish to be able to put this all behind you as soon as you can, and even though you might not want the prospect of having to go to court and give evidence (although that presumably would not happen if there was a guilty plea, which sounds very possible given the evidence that will be available).

IMO it may only be a prosecution and conviction, no matter how light or severe the actual sentence, that brings it home to the pepetrator that what they have done will not be tolerated, and that any repeat offence will result in much worse punishment. A caution or informal ticking off from the police may only encourage them to think that they can continue to behave like that and get away with it. Indeed it would not surprise me if this person were already known to the police and had behaved similarly in the past, rather than this being the first and only time they have made threats and assaulted someone.

I hope that you recover soon and that you are able not to let the memory of it spoil the experience of riding your bike in future.
jezer

Post by jezer »

There was a case locally a couple of years ago where a driver swerved across the road to intimidate a cyclist. He was clearly captured on camera and reported to the police. It turned out he was on a suspended sentence for a more serious crime, and was immediately jailed.
Power to the pedals
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well latest is that "They will have strong words with driver".

That's it, video not good enough for court, not even a caution..............................

And so my latest abuse by the Stasi will not even register.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126123
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Well latest is that "They will have strong words with driver".

That's it, video not good enough for court, not even a caution..............................

:-( Devon and Cornwall Police, or do I misremember?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH,I think what youre dealing with from a policing perspective is an completely undermanned under resourced police force that has to prioritise its limited and dwindling resources,if you'd been injured needing hospital treatment things may have been different as the crime becomes more serious.
It's not what you want to hear but it's the sad fact in today's austerity ravaged UK and TBH I can only see things getting worse before they get any better :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes its going to get worse before its changes at all.
D&C yes.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.