No meat; no dairy; no....?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

No meat; no dairy; no....?

Post by 661-Pete »

I thought I'd let this article, and others like it, simmer (no pun intended!) for a while before posting. OK we've had stories like this crop (again no pun) up in the past, but this one seems a lot more authoritative. Article in Nature; UN backing and all that.

So what about it? Speaking for myself, having already forsworn all meat, I can't actually eat less than no meat! But the dairy - we still eat a lot, cheese especially - and that's difficult. Next shopping trip, I'll see if Mrs P will allow me to pick up a bottle of oat milk, just to see if it works OK in tea and coffee. But when it comes to making a bechamel sauce, etc., it may simply not work...

And the cheese! I've never tried vegan cheese, but some of those who have, declare that it's ghastly. Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste. And they may be prejudiced...

Are we prejudiced...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Re: No meat; no dairy; no....?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I could not give up meat either, have not eaten any for years
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Next shopping trip, I'll see if Mrs P will allow me to pick up a bottle of oat milk, just to see if it works OK in tea and coffee.

No it doesn't. (There saved you some cash ;) )

I used oat 'milk' and coconut 'milk' for most things with no problems but I haven't found anything that works in tea.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Try mixing oat milk with real milk

Or having tea without, tastes much better :wink:

I could not give up milk either, for the same reason
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I wouldnt say predjudiced, you obviously deeply believe in what you are doing which may be for a variety of reasons. Millions if not billions of people in Asia do similar things observing practices specified by their religion. Good luck with it. Meanwhile I am looking forward to that steak on Saturday…. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote: Meanwhile I am looking forward to that steak on Saturday…. :D

Al never fails to meet expectations... :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

The reports are calling for a more balanced agriculture, rather than total removal of livestock farming.
There are plenty of areas where there is no water shortage and the land is good for forestry or grazing, so why not have some grazing alongside the forestry.

On the consumer end of things, I am no fan of "substitute" anything.
Real cheese or real hummous* would be my choice.
Real butter or nothing.
I dont fancy the idea of eating real dead mammals and the idea of eating fake dead mammal is not much more appetising, even if much more ethical.

I do eat much too much cheese but it is through laziness, laziness of habit and laziness of imagination.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: Meanwhile I am looking forward to that steak on Saturday…. :D

Al never fails to meet expectations... :lol:

Well Al's dietary ambition given here is perfectly inline with the recommendations.
Mine however isnt!
while increasing beans and pulses between four and six times. However, the millions of people in poor nations who are undernourished need to eat a little more meat and dairy.

I have no intention of quadrupling my consumption of pulses or eating more meat and dairy.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

One alternative to giving up stuff is just to cut down. Eat / drink less cheese, milk, etc. I don't eat meat but I do eat too much cheese. I should cut down. It would be good for me.
meic

Post by meic »

Reduction is what the report was calling for.
The absolutism of cutting out is something "extra" some of us are adding on to it.
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Meanwhile I am looking forward to that steak on Saturday…. :D
Just so long as it's not that one in the picture in the Grauniad article. Looks horribly greasy! I do remember the time when I used to eat steaks - but not that one.

No - wait! I suspect you never click Grauniad links. So you won't know what I'm talking about... :wink:

Seriously, have a good hard think about this. Steak once a week? More than once a week? Can you make it, once every two weeks? Once every month? Without undue hardship?

One person may not be able to turn climate change around. A few hundred millions, might.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Let's be fair about this. According to Nigel Lawson, man-made climate change is a fiction. And I believe him because he's a regular BBC pundit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:On the consumer end of things, I am no fan of "substitute" anything.
Real cheese or real hummous* would be my choice.
Real butter or nothing.

What is "real"? Do you mean you only eat butter made manually with scotch hands and so on, rather than butter made by factory processes rather similar to margarine?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:What is "real"? Do you mean you only eat butter made manually with scotch hands and so on, rather than butter made by factory processes rather similar to margarine?
Bit like cow-juice, then. When I read of a cow that's never tasted a blade of fresh grass in its life, I despair...
meic

Post by meic »

What is "real"? Do you mean you only eat butter made manually with scotch hands and so on, rather than butter made by factory processes rather similar to margarine?

I am blissfully ignorant of what happens to the product after leaving the cow, all I know is that, apart from the salt, it came out of cows' udders. The primary concern is the ingredients.
Yma o Hyd