No meat; no dairy; no....?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: No meat; no dairy; no....?

Post by al_yrpal »

IME, and we have only been on 3, Antartica, Asia and Alaska, a cruise is the only way some limited mobility old folk and disabled people can enjoy a holiday. There are undoubtably some people who go who are Gannets but that applies too any buffet type restaurant anywhere not only those on cruise ships.
Rather than attempting to convert folk to trendy unnatural eating habits if you are concerned about your contribution to climate change far better to examine your own lifestyle and curb your own excesses.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Holidays are always a touchy subject - I wouldn't want to be the one asking people to forego what may be the one pleasure in their lives. And that includes cruises and long-haul flights.

If we hadn't bought the French house - where we spend most of our holidays - we'd probably be holidaying elsewhere - and boarding flights or doing long-distance drives thereby. Just like most people do. You can't win!

We are still on schedule to do our South America eclipse-chasing tour next year. It's possible this may be our last-ever long-haul flight. That rather depends on developments in the USA and whether we go to visit my B-i-L again. Not in the current climate!

Avoiding meat in some parts of South America may be problematical. My niece - a vegetarian up till then - discovered this some years ago. We shall see...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Goat or sheep cheese is somewhat more environmentally friendly than from cows.

Quite a few of the vegan 'yogurts' are nice. I also like some other vegan 'dairy' products. But things like lasagna and pizza just aren't the same without proper cheese.

I could potentially reduce my cheese eating to once every week or two, but I have to admit that I really like cheese.

When I am cooking for myself, I mostly have rice with vegetables &/or pulses.

I can only do that once or twice per week for my kids, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Holidays are always a touchy subject - I wouldn't want to be the one asking people to forego what may be the one pleasure in their lives. And that includes cruises and long-haul flights.

If we hadn't bought the French house - where we spend most of our holidays - we'd probably be holidaying elsewhere - and boarding flights or doing long-distance drives thereby. Just like most people do. You can't win!

We are still on schedule to do our South America eclipse-chasing tour next year. It's possible this may be our last-ever long-haul flight. That rather depends on developments in the USA and whether we go to visit my B-i-L again. Not in the current climate!

Avoiding meat in some parts of South America may be problematical. My niece - a vegetarian up till then - discovered this some years ago. We shall see...

Are you reluctant to visit trumpland, why? One could avoid talking about politics, avoid visiting flyover land, or in your case pretend to be French (or Canadian?) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Vorpal wrote:Goat or sheep cheese is somewhat more environmentally friendly than from cows.

Why is that?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Paulatic wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Goat or sheep cheese is somewhat more environmentally friendly than from cows.

Why is that?

I was all set to explain it, only to find out that I was wrong :oops: :oops:

I assumed that it was the same as for meat production, but it's actually the other way around.

The carbon footprint for milk from small ruminants is more than double that of milk from dairy cattle and buffalo: 6.5 kg CO2-eq/kg FPCM vs. 2.8 and 3.4 kg CO2-eq/kg FPCM, respectively. With regard to meat from ruminants, small ruminant meat has a smaller carbon footprint compared with that of beef; 23.8 kg CO2-eq/kg CW vs. 46.2 and 53.4 kg CO2-eq/kg CW for beef and buffalo meat, respectively....
The difference in emission intensity among ruminant species can be attributed to
a number of factors such as:
• Higher milk yields from dairy cattle and buffalo as opposed to small ruminants;
• Greater fecundity, and faster reproductive cycles and growth rates in small
ruminants;
• Larger supporting breeding herds are required to sustain the production of
beef; non-productive animals produce CH4 and urinary-N without contributing
to milk and meat production

http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3461e/i3461e.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Vorpal wrote:
Paulatic wrote:

Why is that?

I was all set to explain it, only to find out that I was wrong :oops: :oops:

I assumed that it was the same as for meat production, but it's actually the other way around.

[f

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The answer to the reluctant vegans dilemma…

Slaughter-free meat? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

What about Turkey twizlers too?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:The answer to the reluctant vegans dilemma…

Slaughter-free meat? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403
Nice try. :lol:

Can't speak for true vegans of course, but speaking for myself, not interested. It's the taste and texture of many forms of meat, that I've "turned-off" from, as much as knowing where it comes from.

But we do use Quorn in some meals, so I'm a bit inconsistent there.

What about Turkey twizlers too?
Ha ha! What indeed!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).