Cheap word processing software

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Cheap word processing software

Post by thirdcrank »

It's very rare these days that I need to send a word processed letter. In the past, I've used MS WordPad but now it wants me to buy MS Word before it will let me print it.

Can anybody recommend cheap basic word processing software? (Notepad is too basic.) Or a legal way to print from WordPad that I've missed?
Si

Re: Cheap word processing software

Post by Si »

I use Open Office - it's free, and mostly works OK.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Google Docs? Freebie…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To save me from downloading a dodgy version, safe links would be handy.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I use LibreOffice on Linux, but it is also available for Windows. Open Source and free. Of course they ask for a donation.

This is a link. There might be others.

I'm reasonably happy with it, but I couldn't say how it compares with the other free options.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si wrote:I use Open Office - it's free, and mostly works OK.

I'e successfully downloaded and used this on the basis that it was the first reply. I'm grateful to everybody who has replied. I'm experiencing a fair amount of stress just now, and in that situation, the toast always lands maramalade down, so the response here has been very helpful
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:
Si wrote:I use Open Office - it's free, and mostly works OK.

I'e successfully downloaded and used this on the basis that it was the first reply. I'm grateful to everybody who has replied. I'm experiencing a fair amount of stress just now, and in that situation, the toast always lands maramalade down, so the response here has been very helpful

Installing new software is usually guaranteed to add stress to any situation. I hope, in this case, it has all gone smoothly.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bovlomov wrote: .... Installing new software is usually guaranteed to add stress to any situation. I hope, in this case, it has all gone smoothly.

Eventually. Just as the first attempt at downloading was getting there, I received a call from the company that triggered the stress. I was so busy dealing with that that the anti virus decided to block the download so I had to try again. All's well that ends well. Thanks for your concern.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

these people -Softmaker

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/freeoffice-textmaker for a free suite and their paid version dont cost much either

Softmaker is a German company and I have in the past bought their nice office packages that are very compatible with MS Office.

if you want to buy ( £60-90 for a whole suite)

https://www.softmaker.com/en/

A very nice company - they took overeeing the Thunderbird email client ( used to be Mozilla Firefox ) that is even more important now that Windows 10 email client is so naff
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I used to use Open Office, then Libre Office but since my main device has become an Android tablet with Google Office suite and Google Drive its all become simpler and less hassle. Everything I write immediately becomes accessible on my phone and Chromebook. Its all free too.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I believe Libre Office was an offshoot of Open Office designed for more recent OS's (Windows 7 and up). We have both: I use OpenOffice on my creaky old XP, whilst Mrs P (who does a lot more writing than I do) uses LibreOffice on the Win10 machine. I can strongly recommend both of them.

One big plus for OpenOffice: you can see at once if you've modified an open file (look for the 'save' button on the toolbar - if it's greyed-out you haven't made any changes yet). A useful feature which wasn't in MS Office - at least not last time I used that (before I retired).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).