Trains...why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest
Posts: 1645
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby Ben@Forest » 23 Jan 2019, 8:09am

brynpoeth wrote:The db deutsche Bahn has problems with punctuality, as the media just discovered :?


When living in Germany, admittedly many years ago, l can't say l noticed the trains were more punctual than the UK. Apart from one 18-month period in the UK l have not had to make a regular commute on trains though, so commuters may have different experiences.

Looking at the report which l think you're referring to it is about long-distance trains, and such statistics always seem to concentrate on this - they don't report on regional or local networks. But most of us don't use long distance trains every day, reports on the local networks might be more illuminating.

reohn2
Posts: 32489
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby reohn2 » 23 Jan 2019, 8:14am

Ben@Forest wrote:.......... - they don't report on regional or local networks. But most of us don't use long distance trains every day, reports on the local networks might be more illuminating.


I wish they would,especially in North West England where it' particularly bad,I can't say for the rest of UK's local trains but if they're as bad as where I live they're pretty bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 11746
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby mjr » 23 Jan 2019, 12:11pm

reohn2 wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:.......... - they don't report on regional or local networks. But most of us don't use long distance trains every day, reports on the local networks might be more illuminating.


I wish they would,especially in North West England where it' particularly bad,I can't say for the rest of UK's local trains but if they're as bad as where I live they're pretty bad.

I think Northern are pretty much the worst at the moment and TPE isn't far behind. My local services are provided by mostly GTR and some Greater Anglia: GTR are notorious for the farces on their Southern and Thameslink routes, but my local Great Northern route survived them relatively unscathed with 10 minutes added to a typical journey to London (but still some faster ones at peak times), some slower joins/splits at Cambridge (both probably due to Thameslink expanding there) and long-promised improvements (longer trains and more half-hourly services) postponed; while Greater Anglia is currently replacing their entire fleet with shiny new Flirt (increase in bike space from 4 to 6 per train, plus clear green markings on the outside) and Aventra trains and the worst that seems to be happening there is delays to the introductions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

brynpoeth
Posts: 8735
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Trains...why?

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 7:48am

Worth mentioning again that train travel is exceedingly safe, hardly any passengers are killed or injured, a great contrast to travel by road

Trains sometimes arrive late, there is so much bleating about this, worth comparing with driving, predicting the time for a car journey is hopeless

What does the 'E' in Edale stand for?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

brynpoeth
Posts: 8735
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 7:52am

Ben@Forest wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:The db deutsche Bahn has problems with punctuality, as the media just discovered :?


When living in Germany, admittedly many years ago, l can't say l noticed the trains were more punctual than the UK. Apart from one 18-month period in the UK l have not had to make a regular commute on trains though, so commuters may have different experiences.

Looking at the report which l think you're referring to it is about long-distance trains, and such statistics always seem to concentrate on this - they don't report on regional or local networks. But most of us don't use long distance trains every day, reports on the local networks might be more illuminating.

In Hamburg and Berlin many lines run at ten-minute intervals or oftener, no-one would notice if all the trains were ten minutes late, there is no need to check the timetable unless one is an importantperson who can not afford to wait about five minutes on average
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1645
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby Ben@Forest » 9 Feb 2019, 8:24am

brynpoeth wrote:In Hamburg and Berlin many lines run at ten-minute intervals or oftener, no-one would notice if all the trains were ten minutes late, there is no need to check the timetable unless one is an importantperson who can not afford to wait about five minutes on average


But that is true here too. Looking as l type this the next trains from York to Leeds are at 8.22, 8.26, 8.38 and 8.45.

brynpoeth
Posts: 8735
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Griddle car menus updated

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 8:33am

Ben@Forest wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:In Hamburg and Berlin many lines run at ten-minute intervals or oftener, no-one would notice if all the trains were ten minutes late, there is no need to check the timetable unless one is an importantperson who can not afford to wait about five minutes on average


But that is true here too. Looking as l type this the next trains from York to Leeds are at 8.22, 8.26, 8.38 and 8.45.

Are they bunched, what is the maximum gap? Are all tickets valid on all trains? Do some stop at all stations or take a longer route and take much longer? (Fragen kostet nichts :wink:)
Used to know York well, picked up a brochure for the city a couple of years ago, it mentioned how easily one may drive to York but did not mention train travel :? I sent a mail to the tourist info asking whether one might reach York by train, 'yes' was the answer!
The next issue of the brochure had a big advert for train travel on the back, Plus One!
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3479
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Trains...why?

Postby NUKe » 9 Feb 2019, 9:08am

They all probably started from different destinations and or have different end points. York was designed to be a hub by the victorians.
NUKe
_____________________________________

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 615
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Trains...why?

Postby 100%JR » 9 Feb 2019, 9:44am

brynpoeth wrote:What does the 'E' in Edale stand for?


Can only find this:-
As spelt, the name is first recorded in 1732. Earlier recorded versions of the name are Aidele (1086), Heydale (1251), Eydale (1275), Eydal (1285) and Edall (1550).[4]:9

Historically, Edale was the name of the valley of the River Noe. From the Norman Conquest of England it was in the royal Forest of High Peak and at its centre is the Edale Cross, which marked the boundary of the three wards at the Forest, Campana, Hopedale and Longdendale. Settlement in the valley consists of several booths, originally established in the 13th century as 'vaccaries' (cattle farms) along the valley of the River Noe, which have since developed into the hamlets of Upper Booth (once Crowdenley Booth and Over Booth), Barber Booth (once Whitmorely Booth), Grindsbrook Booth, Ollerbrook Booth and Nether Booth (also known as Lady Booth and, formerly, Lower Booth)

Ben@Forest
Posts: 1645
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Trains...why?

Postby Ben@Forest » 9 Feb 2019, 10:14am

NUKe wrote:They all probably started from different destinations and or have different end points. York was designed to be a hub by the victorians.


And some will be stopping services and some not.

mercalia
Posts: 9408
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Trains...why?

Postby mercalia » 9 Feb 2019, 3:29pm

brynpoeth wrote:Worth mentioning again that train travel is exceedingly safe, hardly any passengers are killed or injured, a great contrast to travel by road

Trains sometimes arrive late, there is so much bleating about this, worth comparing with driving, predicting the time for a car journey is hopeless

What does the 'E' in Edale stand for?


yes and travel by road in coaches journeys are longer boring and not good for tall people and their legs cannt get up abd go for a walk. As for personal transport well some one has to drive.