Trains...why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Trains...why?

Postby Paulatic » 12 Jun 2019, 10:17am

I’m presently in Southport and discovered I can ride the train (Merseyrail) all day (after 9:30am) getting on and off where ever I like for £5.30. That’s got to be better than the hassle of driving and paying to park.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 12 Jun 2019, 10:20am

Paulatic wrote:I’m presently in Southport and discovered I can ride the train (Merseyrail) all day (after 9:30am) getting on and off where ever I like for £5.30. That’s got to be better than the hassle of driving and paying to park.

You omit the hassle and expense of running a car in the first place.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Jun 2019, 10:28am

Paulatic wrote:I’m presently in Southport and discovered I can ride the train (Merseyrail) all day (after 9:30am) getting on and off where ever I like for £5.30. That’s got to be better than the hassle of driving and paying to park.
Plus one!
Mick F. Cornwall

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 12 Jun 2019, 4:16pm

Hi all, I don't even have to pay the £5-30! Even travelling before 09-30 hrs :D No parking charges to worry about either :lol: .
IGICB MM in Liverpool

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 12 Jun 2019, 5:25pm

Next week I get the train (with my bike) from Berwick to Morpeth (50 mikes) for £2.45. I cycle to Hexham (40 miles) and spend a couple of days around the Roman Wall and then cycle to Newcastle (35 miles). I then get the train to Berwick (65miles) for £4.40.

If that isn't a bargain I don't know what is!
John

Cycling and recycling

brynpoeth

Re: Trams...why?

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Jun 2019, 5:19am

Big thank you to 100% who dislikes trains for starting this, Plus One!

Trams are good too, here is a little-known factoid: some trams have passenger doors only on the near side, why?
Because they run on routes where all the platforms are on one side and there is a reversing loop at each end, they go forwards only, but there is a simple driving cabin at the back just for maneuvering in the depot

Some towns in Europe have lots of trams but not all are standard gauge
Dublin has trams, 'Luas' (flash), standard gauge, mind :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 27 Jun 2019, 4:42pm

Hello all, Quite a few people are currently wondering about the viability of train travel in the Merseyside area? A wheel on a train travelling to Liverpool suffered a wheel seizure at 05-39 in Birkenhead Central Station. Result blockage which has lasted all day! Apparently such a problem means that the train couldn't be towed away, so chaos reigned.
The matter was made much worse by the poor information system. Only tannoy announcements were given, but as I am Hearing impaired I knew virtually nothing! Staff didn't seem to be available at platform level, so no assistance possible.
Surely is should be the case that speedy extraction of dead rolling stock is an absolute priority? MM