Trains...why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Trains...why?

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I'm sure we all agree that this sort of thing shouldn't happen and anyone should be able to use public transport without a worry, day or night. But if I had a journey to do tonight I would avoid public transport for that reason, just as I would avoid dark alleys in urban areas. It isn't going to change soon, so nor will my preferences. The world should be a nicer place, but it isn't.

One is far more likely to encounter abusive drunks on certain roads in most towns most nights of the weekend than on a late train IMO. The British Transport Police are fairly visible around our late trains - I wonder why Wales is getting the short straw?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I get disgruntled when the popular media starts on about rail travel without mentioning how safe it is, that should be compulsory :wink:, there is a standard complaint about one toilet being faulty when a dozen more are all working and another about punctuality, as if motroning from a to b could be done to a timetable :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:as if motroning from a to b could be done to a timetable :?

I always found that comment laughable.

If I get the train from Warrington to Liverpool, as a rule it'll turn up within a 5 minute window and get me to Liverpool within the same window (and usually within a minute or two).
I can count on one hand the number of times in a year this doesn't happen and out of them perhaps twice the train will be very late (i.e. 20 mins or so).

When I've driven the same journey the time taken is give or take about 15 minutes either side every day (more coming home) and I'd reckon five or six times a year it'll balloon out to be an extra hour or so (on one occasion I left work at 3:30 and only got home at 8:30 - 5 hours to travel 14 miles!)

I guess it's all about expectation.
Trains are fairly punctual so any deviation is whinge worthy but everyone expects to get stuck in traffic so it's not even worth a mention...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went on another train trip, the first train left on time but arrived two minutes early, so I had to loiter in the cold two minutes longer than planned before the next train came :(

Had a laugh with some strangers on the way back, told them where to get on, someone asked me whether I was a railwayperson. Unfortunately not, just a railway enthusiast :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Went on another train trip, the first train left on time but arrived two minutes early, so I had to loiter in the cold two minutes longer than planned before the next train came :(

Had a laugh with some strangers on the way back, told them where to get on, someone asked me whether I was a railwayperson. Unfortunately not, just a railway enthusiast :wink:

2 minutes in the cold .... minus 37 deg C was it .... :)
Come on, be honest , no one asked you if you where a "railway person" ... did they .... unless it was a train load of Guardian reading Social Care Workers ..... :lol: :lol:
I've worked "on the rail" for 20 years+ ... "railway person" .... really ... :lol:

Railway Enthusiast .... ? .... respect .. me too.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I used to sometimes get asked questions as though I was "staff" when on the platform wearing my orange hi-vis cycling jacket (if I'm going to wear hi-vis, I tend to avoid the radioactive lemon look as there are just too many dressed the same!). That was despite the fact I was wheeling a bike around.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Went on another train trip, the first train left on time but arrived two minutes early, so I had to loiter in the cold two minutes longer than planned before the next train came :(

2 minutes in the cold .... minus 37 deg C was it .... :)
Come on, be honest , no one asked you if you where a "railway person" ... did they .... unless it was a train load of Guardian reading Social Care Workers ..... :lol: :lol:
I've worked "on the rail" for 20 years+ ... "railway person" .... really ... :lol:

Railway Enthusiast .... ? .... respect .. me too.

Yes they did ask me, I know the timetable which is very regular, Bad Kleinen station is being rebuilt and there is nowhere warm to wait, made a joke about the Ringbahn in Berlin too, it just goes round and round 24/7
Besides, many years ago I did work at Britains Premier Steam Railway, we built a new 'Thomas' :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RickH wrote:I used to sometimes get asked questions as though I was "staff" when on the platform wearing my orange hi-vis cycling jacket (if I'm going to wear hi-vis, I tend to avoid the radioactive lemon look as there are just too many dressed the same!). That was despite the fact I was wheeling a bike around.

Reminds me of a Dream Job advertised a few years ago, so many cyclists go by train in Germany that people were (are?) employed to help them load and unload their bikes. Makes sense, so the trains are not delayed
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

My shift is having a walk/meal/festive drinks in Castleton/Hope on Tuesday 11th.It looks like the Train is going to be the preferred mode of transport yet again.I think I'm going to get the missus to be my Taxi service instead.Train journey is a minimum of 1hr 5mins(with one change)each way.Takes less than half that in the car and I get a guaranteed seat :roll:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

100%JR wrote:My shift is having a walk/meal/festive drinks in Castleton/Hope on Tuesday 11th.It looks like the Train is going to be the preferred mode of transport yet again.I think I'm going to get the missus to be my Taxi service instead.Train journey is a minimum of 1hr 5mins(with one change)each way.Takes less than half that in the car and I get a guaranteed seat :roll:

So you waste the missus' time instead of yours? ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:
100%JR wrote:My shift is having a walk/meal/festive drinks in Castleton/Hope on Tuesday 11th.It looks like the Train is going to be the preferred mode of transport yet again.I think I'm going to get the missus to be my Taxi service instead.Train journey is a minimum of 1hr 5mins(with one change)each way.Takes less than half that in the car and I get a guaranteed seat :roll:

Always amuses me that folk wanting a lift somewhere never think about your time.

30 min journey each way and presumably he's not expecting his missus to hang around and wait for him. So two hours of her time and an hour of his.
Just so he can save an hour...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

kwackers wrote:Always amuses me that folk wanting a lift somewhere never think about your time.

30 min journey each way and presumably he's not expecting his missus to hang around and wait for him. So two hours of her time and an hour of his.

My daughter is fond of asking for a lift, usually home from music lessons. She has a bus pass, and has been told that getting herself home is a condition of attending. But it doesn't keep her from calling most weeks and asking me to collect her. That essentially means 20 - 25 minutes of my time to save 15 minutes of hers. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

kwackers wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Always amuses me that folk wanting a lift somewhere never think about your time.

Swings and roundabouts.
I run her about she runs me about.That’s how things work.She has a friend in Hathersage so she’ll probably spend the day with her so is “wasting” no time :roll:
Even if she returns home does it not occur to you she might actually enjoy the scenic drive?
Quite a few drivers do actually like driving.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How much does one charge an hour for "taxi" services? Does the taxi wait until time to go home, or does the taxi go home, then out again?

- Mum, may a have a quid to get the bus into town?
- Sorry love, I only have a fiver
- No prob, I shall take a taxi!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

100%JR wrote:Even if she returns home does it not occur to you she might actually enjoy the scenic drive?
Quite a few drivers do actually like driving.

Scenic? You're going out for festivities but will be back before dark!

You could be right, but my money is on "likes a quiet life".