Trains...why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Trains...why?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read about the metropolitan tarif regions in Germany, there are dozens, lots of different complicated fares, 30 experts are trying to comprehend them to make an 'Epp'
'It is as if each region has a different dialect in the tariffs', bleated one of the experts
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has an inspiring article about an enchanting journey on a sleeper train from Koeln to Wien
Plus One for overnight trains which are experiencing a renaissance on ME Mainland Europe
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, My wife, daughter and I travelled on a sleeper from Paris to Munich a few years ago. It was run by a German company.
It was the worst journey of any kind that I have undertaken, horrendous, 6 to a box, no curtains, outward 4 men 2 women, return 5 women 1 man!
No worthwhile catering service , little more than crisps & booze?
Toilet facilities started out poor got dire as the progressively broke down.
The Indian Railway system is way better than that experience!
The service has now gone, though the memories live on! Brighton Belle or Orient Express it was not.
I won't fly any longer, so rail was my only choice. Having suffered serious health issues since then the health insurance premiums would break us, so I won't be risking such a journey again.
I like trains, I hate bad rail providers! TTFN MM
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Took a coach to the airport for work...

Far easier. And cheaper than the train - direct as well, no need for three changes (which would have been awkward in a wheelchair with a suitcase.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

merseymouth wrote:...travelled on a sleeper from Paris to Munich...... 6 to a box, no curtains, outward 4 men 2 women, return 5 women 1 man!

You were in the couchette coach then, not the sleeper. Couchette is practically a rolling camping barn. British trains don't have them. Sleeper is a cozy but comfortable 1 or 2 berth cabin, but costs significantly more.

Several European sleepers do that: they serve breakfast in bed in the sleeper coaches but don't offer counter service to couchette and seated customers. The Thello (Paris - Venice overnight train) does have a breakfast buffet open to all passengers.

Having suffered serious health issues since then the health insurance premiums would break us, so I won't be risking such a journey again.

Sorry to read that.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Jgurney, The entire train was formed that way, no berth comparable to the good old BR Sleeper!
Well over 20 coaches, each with 2 loos, by journeys end only 1 working in the entire train :shock: . On the return trip to Paris there was a CTC Tour Group. At least their cycles got a decent billet :lol: .
Sleeping on a channel ferry even without a berth is better. TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Try to avoid flushing the toilet on a train, if the tank is empty the toilet stops working
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Bryn, Keeping my legs crossed between Paris and Munich & reverse is not an option :roll: . Even Liverpool to Penrith tests my tank capacity?
I have a re-printed copy of a book giving train users advice, from the 1860's. That goes into great detail as to how to survive the ordeal, only got hands on it after the horror journey. TTFN MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, My wife, daughter and I travelled on a sleeper from Paris to Munich a few years ago. It was run by a German company.
It was the worst journey of any kind that I have undertaken, horrendous, 6 to a box, no curtains, outward 4 men 2 women, return 5 women 1 man! [...]
The service has now gone, though the memories live on! [...]

1. As others note, that was couchette not sleeper.
2. That German service went basicalky bankrupt for various reasons including poor service while better ones survive, including the Austrian ones in the link and the no-frills Thello service.
3. I've travelled happily on Spanish "Ellipsos Treinhotel". Good but expensive in sleeper, not even too bad in seats (better than overnight buses). Most of its routes have become casualties of the spread of daytime high speed trains (TGV and AVE) which move more people in the time but mean you need more hotel nights.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used to ride to the Central Station to get the train, but I realised I could cycle to a station on the edge of town and hop on there
10 minutes further by cycle, the train calls there 10 minutes later, parking is much easier and one buys a ticket on board, saves even more time
+4!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hi there, My wife, daughter and I travelled on a sleeper from Paris to Munich a few years ago. It was run by a German company.
It was the worst journey of any kind that I have undertaken, horrendous, 6 to a box, no curtains, outward 4 men 2 women, return 5 women 1 man!

You just explained why the Deutsche Bahn stopped running sleeper trains :?
The OeBB Austrian railway runs night trains in ME mainland Europe now, with some success apparently
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The preserved railway movement is very strong in Britain, it is a male-dominated milieu, most of the volunteers, engine drivers, signalpersons and others are male

The Guardian has an obituary of Eileen Clayton, who volunteered at the Festiniog Railway for many years, she encouraged female volunteers, many volunteers progressed to working on BR
The picture of her shews the locomotive engine 'No. 2 Prince' (born 1863, male) the background

No. 1 was 'Princess' I think, but she is no longer with us
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It's looking like Northern Rail will be nationalised today. East coast, SW, NR. What does the Government not understand?

Whatever it's faults, taking a bike on NR was straightforward.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oldjohnw wrote:It's looking like Northern Rail will be nationalised today. East coast, SW, NR. What does the Government not understand?

Whatever it's faults, taking a bike on NR was straightforward.

Agree - let's hope the sensible attitude to bikes doesn't go when the govt/new franchisee gets it. And hope that they don't try to restrict cyclists, part pushing blame for shameless lack of capacity on to them.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John