Trains...why?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
millimole

Re: Trains...why?

Post by millimole »

The bigger heritage railway lines employ a number of professionals which is a cost they hope to recoup through better publicity, improved services, and sometimes selling services to the mainstream rail industry (for example the Great Central brings in funds by having train testing on their line).

The thing about heritage railways are that they aspire to be 'living museums' which is good as far as it goes, but it's like a lot of the heritage industry - they are showing something that never existed.
Where are the infrequent, grubby, ill-lit and overheated coaches of my childhood? Now it's all luxury dinners and gleaming locos! Give me me a crusty black five any time in preference to a wartime re-enactment day.

The heritage railway sector is too big, with too many small and 'me too' tracks run for the benefit of a few old blokes who've fallen out with another organisation. If a contraction diverts funds into the bigger operators I'm all for it.
Having said that, I feel that most of the big operators are missing a trick in not providing a 'public service' year round minimal timetable at affordable prices - a kind of 'parliamentary service' - as a quid pro quo for central grants.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Re: Train, heritage railways...why? Why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Watercress Line is running a pick-up goods, for only GBP 45 one may join in, one fears this involves driving fast to find places to take photos, why? There are plenty in the interweb

Soon the dirty steam railways shall be taking passengers again, and Thomas and his Friends shall reappear :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I like travelling by train, decided to take a day trip last Saturday
Train going out was cancelled, went to get some more juice while waiting, very hot out. An hour later I hopped on a railbus, TSO, train-shaped object to my destination
Back to the station to go home, no trains running. Got a bus home :?

Quite unusual I think :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I like travelling by train, decided to take a day trip last Saturday
Train going out was cancelled, went to get some more juice while waiting, very hot out. An hour later I hopped on a railbus, TSO, train-shaped object to my destination
Back to the station to go home, no trains running. Got a bus home :?

Quite unusual I think :wink:

Train shaped object?

somewhere up north?
Sweep