Electric cars

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
amaferanga

Re: Electric cars

Post by amaferanga »

The Scottish government have installed rapid chargers in most towns so Scottish charging infrastructure is currently better than that in England or Wales where the networks just cherry pick the most profitable locations. Ecotricity having a monopoly on motorway service areas and providing a crap and unreliable service really doesn't help either.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

amaferanga wrote:The Scottish government have installed rapid chargers in most towns so Scottish charging infrastructure is currently better than that in England or Wales where the networks just cherry pick the most profitable locations. Ecotricity having a monopoly on motorway service areas and providing a crap and unreliable service really doesn't help either.

That would account for it. As I say, I took a look at provision and did something of a double take.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

kwackers wrote:A 40kw car will charge from empty to full in 12 hours or so with a 13A plug, so in theory they'd all charge up overnight.
That is, at 100% energy transfer efficiency - which isn't the case, sadly :roll: I also recall reading that slow charging (AKA using the 'granny cable') is notably inefficient...
"42"