Decibels

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Decibels

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Here's a link to a list of fifty trademarks like Hoover that have become generic names
https://digitalsynopsis.com/advertising ... and-names/
Can't open the page. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Can't open the page. :oops:

You're not missing anything
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I can only say that I know approx, what the pain threshold level is, and have felt it when my dogs bark in tandem in the car or the kitchen :lol: .........You should see the cold callers run for the gate :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Took my bin out 1/4 full. :D maxed at 83Db
Doubt anyone heard it as the background noise, of wind, was 77
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We put a black plastic bin-bag out every Wednesday ........... or miss one if we don't have enough to fill one, and won't be putting one out tomorrow.

Silent, except for the plastic.

Cornwall Council have Weelie Bins, but not all addresses. The Wheelie Bin System needs a specific lorry to collect them, and not all roads can be accessed by them .........not even by half! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

thirdcrank wrote:I sort of half remembered from O-Level days that it was logarithmic which made me assume it was more significant that it appears. One on seventy is an increase of one seventieth, but 25% of 70 seems a lot bigger. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick.

As sjs says it's 25% of the power, not 25% of the 70, so if 70dB was 1 watt, 71 dB would be 1.25W.

What I forgot to say above is that the response of the human ear is also logarithmic, so if 25% seems a lot when you say it, that's not the way you ear perceives it. Turning your HiFi volume up by 20dB would be a hundred fold increase in power, but that's not the way you perceive it at all. In fact, volume controls have a logarithmic characteristic for this very reason. If I were to take the log volume control out of your HiFi and replace it with a linear one, you would wonder what on earth was wrong with it. It would sound more like an on-off switch, with a sudden jump to near maximum within the first few degrees of rotation, and then very little variation for the rest of the knob travel.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've been aware for a long time that my own perception of noise is affected by stress. If I'm feeling relaxed I notice it a lot less than if I feel under pressure.

I have mentioned higher up that I started this thread when I was choosing new car tyres. They were fitted this morning so I'll wait to pass judgment on any noticeable noise reduction, which sounds unlikely, going on what people have posted.