Can this country please decide...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Can this country please decide...

Post by peetee »

.....when a child becomes an adult. The rules are a mess. I suspect for many things that there are no rules. When it comes to charging money, public transport, cinemas, theme parks it's usually around 14. But when it comes to earning money the minimum wage only applies when you are 21.
A couple I know found out that their teenage child had, 1 year previously, been prescribed medication that as a side affect may have made them suicidal. Under the patient confidentiality rules it was none of their business!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Re: Can this country please decide...

Post by PH »

peetee wrote: A couple I know found out that their teenage child had, 1 year previously, been prescribed medication that as a side affect may have made them suicidal. Under the patient confidentiality rules it was none of their business!

I had a friend go through something similar and helped them look into it, it isn't that simple. The legal age for medical consent is 16, though if a doctor considers the under 16 patient to be competent in understanding the doctors advise they can treat them confidentially. I understand doctors have a legal board they can consult if in doubt.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

In Southampton Evening Echo the other day they were quoting “child immigrants in Portsmouth 18-25” go figure.................
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a school near here and their advert states that they take: "Children from 5 to 18".
I could agree with that statement if it had used "students" or "young people" ................... and not "children".

Mrs Mick F left school at 15 and had a job to go to. Meanwhile she had a Saturday job in a shop.
We were married when she was 17, and we had our first child when she was 19.
I left school at 16 and joined the RN serving queen and country.

These days, people are in full-time education at school until 18. No wonder we can't work out when childhood finishes. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

the minimum wage only applies when you are 21

Its worse than that, the full rate only applies when you reach 25. From 21 to 24 you get a minimum wage that is less than the minimum wage.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... nimum-wage
Yma o Hyd