Ye shall know them by their post-politics careers?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Ye shall know them by their post-politics careers?

Post by meic »

we actually spoke to each other using a telephone

A telephone that allowed all of you to hold a group conversation?
Facebook is certainly very flawed but it does have some technological benefits. Any messaging board would do, it would be preferable if our group just had its own forum like this one but Facebook is the established player, the line of least resistance.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
meic wrote:
It is a fairly useful tool for allowing groups (in particular cycle groups) to discuss and arrange their activities

In the days before the internet, we used to manage quite well arranging club rides...we actually spoke to each other using a telephone ! Facebook...I don't need it or want it.

As for politicians, you get what you vote for and we live in a age of mediocrity in all things.

Two cheers for democracy (apologies to E.M Forster).

John.

In the days before the electric light we managed quite well with candles, gas mantles and Tilley lamps. Electricity do we need it or want it?
New inventions and processes come along which often makes things quicker, easier or just more convenient.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Facebook...I don't need it or want it.
Nor do I. Likewise, twitter et al. But this is not an age-related thing, not for me. Besides, I do post regularly on this forum.... :D
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is age-related I think, older people have more time for the interweb, cycling, sleeping
Besides I worked with the interweb starting 1986 :wink:
Going cycling in a minute, a lovely grey cool overcast rainy day +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

Various posts trimmed or removed, as telling people to get a life or that they have the intellectual capacity of a 12yo is not conducive to constructive debate, and, as has been demonstrated here, will only serve to divert the topic to discussion of each others' (perceived) character flaws. Have a nice day y'all.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Si wrote:Various posts trimmed or removed, as telling people to get a life or that they have the intellectual capacity of a 12yo is not conducive to constructive debate, and, as has been demonstrated here, will only serve to divert the topic to discussion of each others' (perceived) character flaws. Have a nice day y'all.

As a moderator you should be a little more discriminating. I did not tell the poster to get a life, nor did I tell them they had the intellectual capacity of a 12yo - these are your words and your misinterpretation.

John.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Si wrote:Various posts trimmed or removed, as ....<offensive stuff>.... is not conducive to constructive debate
It does seem to happen an awful lot, though, doesn't it? (Probably likewise on FB etc.). Sometimes I think that's the only way some know how to argue.

People do let their tongues (and their fingers) race ahead of their brains, I think! Even in the genteel setting of my local Bridge club, eruptions can occur. I once did something mildly 'incorrect' while playing a hand, which an opponent took some exception to, and exploded. She accused me of 'cheating' (I wasn't). A week later she repeated the same accusation. I'm afraid I had to tell her sternly to 'cut it out'. Some people are like that. Maybe I'd have done better to just ignore her remarks. "Do not feed the troll" etc. etc...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Si

Post by Si »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Si wrote:Various posts trimmed or removed, as telling people to get a life or that they have the intellectual capacity of a 12yo is not conducive to constructive debate, and, as has been demonstrated here, will only serve to divert the topic to discussion of each others' (perceived) character flaws. Have a nice day y'all.

As a moderator you should be a little more discriminating. I did not tell the poster to get a life, nor did I tell them they had the intellectual capacity of a 12yo - these are your words and your misinterpretation.

John.

Thank you for your concern, I have copies of removed posts - I can see what was said.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
meic wrote:
It is a fairly useful tool for allowing groups (in particular cycle groups) to discuss and arrange their activities

In the days before the internet, we used to manage quite well arranging club rides...we actually spoke to each other using a telephone ! Facebook...I don't need it or want it.

As for politicians, you get what you vote for and we live in a age of mediocrity in all things.

Two cheers for democracy (apologies to E.M Forster).

John.

Well, I admit to preferring email to a telephone. I haven't got a telephone, especially the mobile sort, as anyone can get hold of you when they want to!

Email is "forward & store" which means I deal with it when I want to, not when someone else wants me to. Also, one is far more careful about what is said, as there's time to think about it first, unlike with a telephone. Obversely, should someone say something they later wish to deny, they can't. :-)

The club I'm in uses Facehook. I avoid it. The members do moan when I send them an email instead.

I note your username. Is that a Hobbs of Barbican reference? I had a Hobbs of Barbican track frame for many years, used as the fixed wheel winter bike. I had to have it modified to take brakes, though. (I like one at the back as well as the front).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
meic

Post by meic »

I haven't got a telephone, especially the mobile sort, as anyone can get hold of you when they want to!

My mobile phone has an "off" button.
Or more correctly it has an "on" button because it is almost always turned off.
Yma o Hyd
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Si wrote:Thank you for your concern, I have copies of removed posts - I can see what was said.

Then I suggest you explain yourself before deleting the post or any posts, so all here can see the/your reasoning.

John.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cugel wrote:I note your username. Is that a Hobbs of Barbican reference? I had a Hobbs of Barbican track frame for many years, used as the fixed wheel winter bike. I had to have it modified to take brakes, though. (I like one at the back as well as the front).Cugel

Yes, it does refer to my Hobbs of Barbican, a frameset (and build) that my Wife's Father bought new (from HoB) for a tour of the Loire Valley in 1952 and then bi-annually until he married in 1959.

He went with a joint YHA/CTC* organised tour in 1952 with his sister on a similiar Hobbs - I have hers too, she left it behind when she emigrated to Australia.

John.

*he kept all the documentation, and a few souvenirs, tickets, rare aluminium coins...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Si wrote:Thank you for your concern, I have copies of removed posts - I can see what was said.

Then I suggest you explain yourself before deleting the post or any posts, so all here can see the/your reasoning.

John.

TBH,I think all people who saw the posts before they were deleted did see the reasoning.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:

John.

Which part of "Various posts trimmed or removed, as telling people to get a life or that they have the intellectual capacity of a 12yo is not conducive to constructive debate, and, as has been demonstrated here, will only serve to divert the topic to discussion of each others' (perceived) character flaws. Have a nice day y'all." do you not understand?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Hobbs1951 wrote:

John.

Forum guidelines, which you agreed to abide by when you registered viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3661 include.
The forum staff have the right to remove or edit (without consultation) any post made on the forum, especially if it contravenes any of the forum rules.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom