Ye shall know them by their post-politics careers?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Ye shall know them by their post-politics careers?

Post by mercalia »

"Poor", well not so poor (£ or maybe $) Nick Clegg moving to California & Facebook - a timely reminder how our betters are really just scumbags after all?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/21/nick-clegg-loss-of-face-exploitation?utm_term=R3VhcmRpYW4gVG9kYXkgVUstMTgxMDIy&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
Cyril Haearn

Re: Ye shall know them by their post-politics careers?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

They are not our betters, they are our servants :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

He was offered a decent job and accepted it. So what?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

"So Mr Clegg, what first attracted you to the billionaire Mark Zuckerberg?"
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

He will almost certainly spout some semi-religious stuff about how his high moral character will make a difference to the many sins of Facebook.

Ha ha. Even his hard lessons about how political power corrupts and suborns will not allow him to realise that he's about to be even more corrupted and suborned by the Dreadful Yank and his evil bullhorn-of-lies-and-hate.

Cue defenders of the Facehook, who will protest that it's ever so useful for telling your "friends" what a wonderful life you're having but how various enemies, scapegoats, pariahs and other groups really do need to be disliked, persecuted and hated, via vitriolic cyberspouts, since they might spoil your wonderful life by being not-like-you.

But I rant, in a condemnatory or even vitriolic style no less! The irony. But see how these electronic public squares are so tempting for the setting up of a Hyde Park soapbox or even a small mob? Does that cleg (apt name) think he can quieten the bullhorn or get it to say only "nice" things?

Perhaps his next job can be as a troll for that Putin? He will know all the techniques by then. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
meic

Post by meic »

Cue defenders of the Facehook, who will protest that it's ever so useful for telling your "friends" what a wonderful life you're having but how various enemies, scapegoats, pariahs and other groups really do need to be disliked, persecuted and hated, via vitriolic cyberspouts, since they might spoil your wonderful life by being not-like-you.

It is a fairly useful tool for allowing groups (in particular cycle groups) to discuss and arrange their activities. While on a group I can totally ignore all the rubbish (mostly about cheap secondhand cars in my area and weird HPVs in my case) on the rhs of my screen.
Just remember to disinfect your browser after every visit. With Firefox clearing history isnt enough, you have to go into Privacy and clear data as well.
Yma o Hyd
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

It didn't end well when he last tried to infiltrate an evil organisation in an attempt to turn it into a force for good.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Others have done - and are doing - worse.

Consider the bunch of scoundrels being alluded to here. I never thought I'd find myself on the same side as those defending Theresa, but in this instance, so it is...

[edit]changed 'dehumanising' epithet.
Last edited by 661-Pete on 22 Oct 2018, 3:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

661-Pete wrote:Others have done - and are doing - worse.

Consider the bunch of vermin being alluded to here. I never thought I'd find myself on the same side as those defending Theresa, but in this instance, so it is...

Hard to resit the temptation of using a (dehumanising) figure of speech isnt it?
Does anybody think that talk of "sticking it to her, from the front" is anything other than a figure of speech?
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

meic wrote:

Consider the bunch of vermin being alluded to here. I never thought I'd find myself on the same side as those defending Theresa, but in this instance, so it is...

Hard to resit the temptation of using a (dehumanising) figure of speech isnt it?
Does anybody think that talk of "sticking it to her, from the front" is anything other than a figure of speech?

I think the word originated elsewhere, not from me. But I've changed it, as suggested...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
meic wrote:

I think the word originated elsewhere, not from me. But I've changed it, as suggested...

Quite right too. As Nye Bevan said Tories are lower than vermin so describing them thus is unfair to genuine vermin.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

What about the not even post politics stuff?

Interesting that the red arrows are to go on a 9 week tour of the US to drum up business when a certain Mr May is a senior exec in a firm that is the largest shareholder in BAE Systems!
Who pays for the tour and who creams the profits?

I think they are supposed to be our servants but so many just seem to be utterly devoid of any morality when it comes to lining their pockets! :x
pete75

Post by pete75 »

firedfromthecircus wrote:

What about the not even post politics stuff?

Interesting that the red arrows are to go on a 9 week tour of the US to drum up business when a certain Mr May is a senior exec in a firm that is the largest shareholder in BAE Systems!
Who pays for the tour and who creams the profits?

I think they are supposed to be our servants but so many just seem to be utterly devoid of any morality when it comes to lining their pockets! :x

And his firm was a large shareholder in G4S. Mrs May was pushing for various parts of the criminal justice systems to be outsourced to private security firms like G4S when she was Home Secretary.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Consider the bunch of scoundrels being alluded to here. I never thought I'd find myself on the same side as those defending Theresa, but in this instance, so it is...

[edit]changed 'dehumanising' epithet.

If true :? that is criminal, threatening language, doubtless the girls and boys in blue are on to it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

meic wrote:
It is a fairly useful tool for allowing groups (in particular cycle groups) to discuss and arrange their activities

In the days before the internet, we used to manage quite well arranging club rides...we actually spoke to each other using a telephone ! Facebook...I don't need it or want it.

As for politicians, you get what you vote for and we live in a age of mediocrity in all things.

Two cheers for democracy (apologies to E.M Forster).

John.