Daily Express weather

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Daily Express weather

Post by Tangled Metal »

So is everyone ready for the savage Arctic blast coming our way according to the daily Express?

Does anyone else suspect they're exaggerating slightly? I mean, aren't they the paper that claims its going to n be the coldest winter on record every year towards the end of summer? Only to find out we get at most a wet slush across most of the UK.

So have you stocked up food, water and fuel for your emergency generator? Are you making your house secure for the massive cold blast and accompanying snow storm? Are you ready for the Arctic armageddon?

Am I the only one who thinks a slightly thicker jumper or coat is needed? Perhaps dig out a warm beanie hat if taking the dog for a walk at night? People in real cold areas would laugh at that paper's reporting of a bit of a cold spell approaching. Like I laugh at it.

So what's your views? Are you prepping or are you realistic?
mercalia

Re: Daily Express weather

Post by mercalia »

I've my exarmy softies reedy
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:So is everyone ready for the savage Arctic blast coming our way according to the daily Express?

Does anyone else suspect they're exaggerating slightly? I mean, aren't they the paper that claims its going to n be the coldest winter on record every year towards the end of summer? Only to find out we get at most a wet slush across most of the UK.

So have you stocked up food, water and fuel for your emergency generator? Are you making your house secure for the massive cold blast and accompanying snow storm? Are you ready for the Arctic armageddon?

Am I the only one who thinks a slightly thicker jumper or coat is needed? Perhaps dig out a warm beanie hat if taking the dog for a walk at night? People in real cold areas would laugh at that paper's reporting of a bit of a cold spell approaching. Like I laugh at it.

According to the BBC temps here in Lincs will fall into high single figures 8 or 9 degrees Saturday - Tuesday then go up to 12 -13 degrees.

I dare say the residents of Omyakon, the coldest inhabited place in the world, would find it ludicrous. Winter clothing there is like this. A lady I know who worked in Siberia told me cold weather clothing doesn't need to be waterproof as there's nothing to make you wet when it's cold. She says natural stuff like fur or down is best for keeping the cold out.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:So is everyone ready for the savage Arctic blast coming our way according to the daily Express?

Dunno I I make a point of not reading it(or any other 'news'paper FTM) :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

For my area (mid Sussex) the Met Office forecasts around 3° early Saturday morning, whilst the BBC (who parted company with the Met Office recently) say 2° to 4°. That's cold enough for us - a slight ground frost - but quite normal for this time of year (remember: it's nearly November and the clocks go back on Sunday). Certainly time to get warmer clothes out - and gloves. And we've had the central heating on for some days now....

What it says in the DE is no concern of mine, since I give that outlet no more credence than I do its fellow-rag the DM. But that's a story for another thread perhaps...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Tangled Metal wrote:So have you stocked up food, water and fuel for your emergency generator?
Dunno about any of that, but should I be stocking up on my meds in anticipation of No-Deal mayhem? Some news sources suggest as much. Trouble is, I'd have to convince my GP....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:

Dunno I I make a point of not reading it(or any other 'news'paper FTM) :wink:

Although I'm all a-tremble at the picksher of that fur and balaclava-clad lady up the thread a bit (I am not just trembling but dripping!) I feel I must do one of those added-one things concerning the mass media organs known as "newspapers". Once journalism was regarded as a high calling and a necessary arm of any good quality nation. (There's a good early C20th essay by Max Weber about the role of journalism in a healthy nation).

Some organs of the news do retain something of that spirit and reputation but the great majority seem to have become bullhorns for various vested interests of the right-wing capitalist ilk (they of the "unacceptable face of"). Yet their victims continue to imbibe their toxic distractions and scapegoating, even as the very same creeps who provide the content (via PR-filled articles and captive editors) are fleecing and degrading the hapless readers by one means or another.

Personally I read New Scientist (but with a very wary eye for their mild scientism) and a tiny bit of peripheral Grauniad (not their main news which is suspiciously identical to every other newspaper's main news). In doing so, I turn my scepticism knob up to 11.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A lot of places in the areas of North America with proper winters you get houses with verandas. The idea is you walk into them and brush off the snow before going into the warmth. Snow in places like around calgary area blows about like a dust storm. Instead of that rolling weed and dust you get the dry, powdery snow blowing down the street like dust.

Jeans and leather jackets are common. The leather jackets are well insulated. Carhartt jackets for example are popular work wear in the cold regions over there. If you brush the snow off before reaching heat you won't get wet.

Right now I'm planning a Norway trip end of the year. I'm considering kit options. Since it's not alpine area I'll be able to use kit that's warm but not waterproof like buffalo system kit. I always prefer to avoid using a membrane type of outer layer because they never breathe well IME. I know from winter UK hills that if it's cold enough you stay dry in snow. I've known for years that as you're coming down from the winter hills you brush yourself down to get the snow and ice off you before you descend into the level where it starts to melt and wet you.

However I doubt it'll reach that point at the weekend. It's DE's standard weather scaremongering rubbish.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Currently my employer imports stuff and it takes a day to unload and go through customs and 2 days for onwards transport within the UK. That's for goods from China. If there are any major delays in drugs from European sources it will be wholly down to systems put in place by EU or by certain countries within EU. Talk of avoiding French ports because of the higher risk of issues from France.

Personally it will probably not be an issue after initial issues get ironed out. Trade is good for both sides of the Brexit / EU.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:

According to the BBC temps here in Lincs will fall into high single figures 8 or 9 degrees Saturday - Tuesday then go up to 12 -13 degrees.

I dare say the residents of Omyakon, the coldest inhabited place in the world, would find it ludicrous. Winter clothing there is like this. A lady I know who worked in Siberia told me cold weather clothing doesn't need to be waterproof as there's nothing to make you wet when it's cold. She says natural stuff like fur or down is best for keeping the cold out.

hmm looks to me more like a fashion shot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:..... (I am not just trembling but dripping!)........

Cugel

Be careful,icicles can hurt when the break off :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Be careful,icicles can hurt when the break off :shock:
A key railway tunnel on the London-to-Brighton line (the Balcombe Tunnel) often has this problem in freezing weather - icicles several feet long can form in the air shafts. Apparently if one falls it can punch straight through a train roof, so on some occasions in the past when icicles were discovered, they had to close the line, causing mayhem.

Now, after many years, they are finally getting round to doing something about it, i.e. re-lining the air-shafts or whatever. Unfortunately this (and other works) mean we're stuck with replacement buses, each and all weekend, from now until armageddon...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Meanwhile in some of the valleys South of the Alps the 24th of October went down as a historic day in the story of climatic records.

Ascona recorded a temp of 30.7 degrees, for example.
Which broke the previous October record by some 3 full degrees.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Be careful,icicles can hurt when the break off :shock:
A key railway tunnel on the London-to-Brighton line (the Balcombe Tunnel) often has this problem in freezing weather - icicles several feet long can form in the air shafts. Apparently if one falls it can punch straight through a train roof, so on some occasions in the past when icicles were discovered, they had to close the line, causing mayhem.

Now, after many years, they are finally getting round to doing something about it, i.e. re-lining the air-shafts or whatever. Unfortunately this (and other works) mean we're stuck with replacement buses, each and all weekend, from now until armageddon...

Perhaps icicle-skewered commuter will become a delicacy in post Brexitland aka Armageddon? Rich Chinese, Yank or Russian "inward investors" will enjoy them thinly sliced, high on the balcony of some luxury block of flats as, wearing inscrutable smiles (the Yanks will grin with all their many teeth), they survey their new domains and subjects. :-)

Cugel, who'll be hiding far away.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Currently my employer imports stuff and it takes a day to unload and go through customs and 2 days for onwards transport within the UK. That's for goods from China. If there are any major delays in drugs from European sources it will be wholly down to systems put in place by EU or by certain countries within EU. Talk of avoiding French ports because of the higher risk of issues from France.

Personally it will probably not be an issue after initial issues get ironed out. Trade is good for both sides of the Brexit / EU.

I think you meant to put this in the Brexit thread. Clearly any changes to the present arrangements of importing goods from Europe will be down to Britain leaving the customs union and single market. If te country was not doing so there would be no difficulties or delays.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker