Body Clock

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Body Clock

Post by Mick F »

As I've become older and retired, I find that I'm going to bed earlier and getting up earlier.
It's got to such a problem, that yesterday, I turned in at 8pm and was up and about and having a cuppa at 4am this morning.
I find that late evenings are difficult and early mornings are easy.

It's getting stupid, and I can't see a way out of this towards "normality" ............................. or whatever that is.

Does it matter?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Re: Body Clock

Post by reohn2 »

What's normal?
Sounds like your normal isn't someone else's normal,you had about 7hours sleep,so no problem.
If being out of sync with others such as Mrs Mick is what's troubling you,spend a week going to bed later to see if you body clock becomes reset.
TBH I think TV has a lot to do with people going to bed later than they otherwise would,you seem to buck the trend :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 26 Oct 2018, 7:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Have a look on iPlayer as there was a documentary on TV recently (pretty sure it was BBC as I don't remember any ads) all about our body clocks, how they work, ow to keep them "in-sync", etc. Interesting program.

Pretty sure it was within the last months but might not have that much longer available online.

Ian
avalonian

Post by avalonian »

There is no normal,I am nearly 70 go to bed 11.30 pm get up 8.000 am
Si

Post by Si »

Sounds about right.....when i was working on a uni field school in the summer i was up at 5 with the sun and ready for bed at 9...which was a pain as the students wanted to stay up partying until 2!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

anoher article about the importance of getting 8 hrs sleep

"Insufficient sleep is now one of the most significant lifestyle factors influencing whether or not you will develop Alzheimer’s disease. During sleep, a remarkable sewage system in the brain, called the glymphatic system, kicks into high gear. As you enter deep sleep, this sanitisation system cleanses the brain of a sticky, toxic protein linked to Alzheimer’s, known as beta amyloid. "

remember Thatcher the lady who slept little had it

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/09/best-thing-you-can-do-for-your-health-sleep-well?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MDIwOQ%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

avalonian wrote:There is no normal,I am nearly 70 go to bed 11.30 pm get up 8.000 am

This sleeping 8 hours straight through is a relatively modern phenomenon. Up until the the late 19th it was normal to go to bed when the sun went down and get up in the middle of the night and either do some menial tasks or prepare for the day ahead, go back to bed around 3 and get up with the dawn.

I don't think it matters at all when you get your 7/8 hours rest, as long as you get them you'll be fine. My old Irish nan, who I used to stay with in the summer holidays would be tucked up in bed by 9pm, even on the bright nights and up with the lark at 5am cleaning. At 13 I found this odd, but it only took a matter of days to adjust to, and I found I actually preferred it. Still do!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:
avalonian wrote:There is no normal,I am nearly 70 go to bed 11.30 pm get up 8.000 am

This sleeping 8 hours straight through is a relatively modern phenomenon. Up until the the late 19th it was normal to go to bed when the sun went down and get up in the middle of the night and either do some menial tasks or prepare for the day ahead, go back to bed around 3 and get up with the dawn.

I don't think it matters at all when you get your 7/8 hours rest, as long as you get them you'll be fine. My old Irish nan, who I used to stay with in the summer holidays would be tucked up in bed by 9pm, even on the bright nights and up with the lark at 5am cleaning. At 13 I found this odd, but it only took a matter of days to adjust to, and I found I actually preferred it. Still do!

maybe but what was the live expectancy in those days? The average person didnt live long enough to get Alzheimer’s disease or other sleep related problems? So the past is not a good recomendation for the present?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote: ........ but what was the live expectancy in those days? The average person didnt live long enough to get Alzheimer’s disease or other sleep related problems? So the past is not a good recomendation for the present?

Is Alzheimer's sleep related?
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In winter go to bed about 9 unless I am involved with music practice or some activity. I am up at 5.30-6.00. I don't watch TV but listen to the wireless or Spotify.

In summer I am much later at night.

Seems to work.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote: ........ but what was the live expectancy in those days? The average person didnt live long enough to get Alzheimer’s disease or other sleep related problems? So the past is not a good recomendation for the present?

read the article. written by a scientist of some kind
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

read the article. written by a scientist of some kind

Sorry my bad(or should that be bed)didn't see the link :?
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone got a good tracker and look at how many of those 8 hours you actually sleep? I sleep a lot less than 8 hours but I do know I am sleeping quickly after young to bed, a good thing, and I don't wake much through the night the majority of nights I wear the tracker (fitbit surge).

What's interesting is even when I do get 8 hours sleep the fitbit app only shows between 3 and 5 hours of deep sleep. I believe deep sleep is what is most important. The rest is recorded as restless sleep. Give me 5 hours in bed and I get similar time actually in deep sleep.

Before you think your 8 hours sleep time is doing you good get a sleep tracker and find out what the reality is.

Personally my most refreshing night's sleep has come from when I've slept for 3 hours, woke up for 2 or 3 hours then had another 4 or so hours. My tracker also recorded those night's sleep as having the longest time in deep sleep.

BTW that broken sleep pattern is due to putting my child to bed and crashing out with him then getting up and watching TV, gettiing a drink and snack then going to sleep as late as 1 or 2 am before waking at 6am. The day after at work I'm usually the most productive that day too.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

The broken sleep pattern mentioned above was the norm in Europe up until the start of the 20th century when electric lighting became popular in large cities. I often wake up around 3am, get up have a potter about, maybe read a book or play guitar and have a good solid 3h45 minutes till the alarm..

It works very well for me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I go to bed asleep in about 30 mins.
Wake 3.5 hrs later.
Then doze 1-2 hrs.
I don't get up because at the end of the day mental tiredness sets in earlier.
Go to sleep again for only two hours.
I no longer sleep for 7hrs through.

For the last 40 odd years 3.5 hrs sleep then I can go again for 20 hrs or so.
The more I exercise the shorter sleep I need.
I did for some time maybe 10 years get into 7hrs a night, but as soon as I took up cycling again its back to short hrs.
3 years ago shingles, since then 3.5 hrs max, I always wake then.
I must come out of deep sleep with in about 1.5 hrs as er indoors can wake me easily coming to bed later than me.
Within an hour NO.
So I told er tonight come to bed 50 mins after me and you wont wake me :)
Not an age thing for me (60) in my youth I would sleep one day a week sat night and hardly ever sleep during the week.
https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... ductivity/
Attachments
2014-04-14-cooperSleep.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.