Cordless drills

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Cordless drills

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:So what would you recommend for drilling into "Acrrington Brick". :?:

It's got to be a corded SDS drill on low speed,fitted as Kwackers says,with a good quality tungsten tipped bit fitted,with a couple of spares just incase :? :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Honestly if you are just making one hole to put a screw plug in or something, it can be done with a normal corded drill that has moderate to high torque, and a masonry drill bit. It does require some care, and it will take a while.

If you are doing multiple ones, or expect to do a similar job more than once, use an SDS drill. Otherwise you will ruin your drill.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Having to finish the decking with my corded 850 w variable speed drill.

The first you notice is its heavier, I know you can buy ultralight window fitters pistol drill.
Second the torque which does not cut off when head hits wood means that after several screws my wrist now hurts :(
Never with a cordless torque limited drill driver.
I have to fiddle with the thumbscrew, up to drill and down to drive.

No contest I am afraid.

I will probably go for a bosch with two batts.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
Flinders wrote:Ah, Accrington brick! We even have a neighbour whose bungalow was built with engineering brick. He found out when he tried to drill into the wall. :shock:
W.r.t. power tools, I used to use them a lot at work, still do a bit, and we still do a lot of DIY at home. We found that for continuous use, anything other than the best tools would burn out or just couldn't hack heavy or continuous jobs. A B&D chap once said at an engineering conference my OH was at that their tools were designed down to a price, as most drills sold to the general public got used for only a few hours in their entire lifetime. We pretty much stick to the top range Makita stuff. It costs a lot, but can do the needful when more welly is required, and we've never had to replace one yet; I reckon in the end they are cheaper as well as better (and often lighter). A cheapo router we got lasted less than 20 minutes before the carbon brushes started to crumble to bits. :mrgreen:

Dewalt(which are B&D)aren't much better either I'm assured.
Makita are good tools :)

My Makita has easily accessible brushes that were claimed to be quick and easy to replace should you need to, but I've never had to. It is a lovely robust piece of kit so I will probably get some new batteries for it. Like other brands (Bosch, De Walt etc) Makita also do so-called DIY standard stuff, and I wouldn't expect that to last as long.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:My Makita has easily accessible brushes that were claimed to be quick and easy to replace should you need to, but I've never had to. It is a lovely robust piece of kit so I will probably get some new batteries for it. Like other brands (Bosch, De Walt etc) Makita also do so-called DIY standard stuff, and I wouldn't expect that to last as long.

The new Makita brushless stuff is very good. Not only are there no brushes but they're significantly more efficient which means more power/longer running time.

Not cheap though, but if mine blows up anytime soon...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just bought a new bosch combi.

Something I did not consider was that my old bosch had a lowish number 1 torque setting ideal for small screws into wood.
Number one setting on the tool I just bought I would say is higher.
Worth considering if you intend to drive a lot of smaller screws?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Having to finish the decking with my corded 850 w variable speed drill.

The first you notice is its heavier, I know you can buy ultralight window fitters pistol drill.
Second the torque which does not cut off when head hits wood means that after several screws my wrist now hurts :(
Never with a cordless torque limited drill driver.
I have to fiddle with the thumbscrew, up to drill and down to drive.

You need an impact driver. They put in and take out screws that an ordinary driver can't. They do so without any of the wrist-twisting (or even breaking) of an ordinary driver. Nor do they chew the screw. I have some like these: marvellous!

https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-clx2 ... -8v-102101

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes