Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Derbyshire too I think
Bought the Grauniad at Hartshead Moor Services:
- Hello love
- One pound fifty please love
- Thanks love
How long is it since you last bought the Grauniad? :(
Graun fp001.jpg

Maybe she love-d me so much, she gave me a discount of 50p :wink: :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Re: Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Post by Vorpal »

Anyone calls me an old dear when I'm 64, and I'll hit 'em over the head with my bike ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

There's been a lot of press aout this incident as it happened local to us. The pictures shown of the trapdoor indicate it wasn't barrierd off. There was also an attendant by the trap to warn the unwary. What was she doing? No barriers around the hole which was located at the intersection of several Ilse's. My opinion is WH Smith got off lightly. It's the equivelant of a manhole being removed in the road ready to catch an unwary cyclist. :shock:
WhSmith have admitted liability and settled out of court for the damages. The fine is not related to the compensation already paid.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

100%JR wrote:
My wife is from Nottingham and her family use "Duck" all the time in conversation.

I've worked for companies with head offices in Alfreton and Nottingham and just love the local use of 'duck' - is it more of a Derbyshire thing?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Lincs too.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:
100%JR wrote:
My wife is from Nottingham and her family use "Duck" all the time in conversation.

I've worked for companies with head offices in Alfreton and Nottingham and just love the local use of 'duck' - is it more of a Derbyshire thing?

In Wales of course "bach" (little one) is the equivalent :wink:
"Duck" occurs in Shropshire too, at Wheathill YH there was a sign by the stairs: "duck or grouse" :?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Lincs too.

And Northants, me duck. Not Norfolk, bor'!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In Wales of course "bach" (little one) is the equivalent :wink:
I've heard that word before, I think - but if someone used it on me I'd get horribly confused. I'd be looking over my shoulder and saying, "where's the fugue?".... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In Wales of course "bach" (little one) is the equivalent :wink:
I've heard that word before, I think - but if someone used it on me I'd get horribly confused. I'd be looking over my shoulder and saying, "where's the fugue?".... :lol:

In German Bach means 'stream'

"Bach soll nicht Bach heissen, sondern Meer" said LvBeethoven
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Note to those who keep quoting in other languages,whether it be German,French,Welsh,Japanese or anything but English

Some people on the forum may speak these languages but most I suspect can't,so what's the point?
If you insist of posting in another language then at least have the courtesy to post an english translation so we can all join in,after all in generally English speaking company you'd be talking to yourself in another language so why do it on an English speaking forum.

Yours
A Monolingual
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"Bach should not have been named Bach (stream) but rather Meer (sea)"

Said Ludwig van Beethoven (half Dutch, half German) :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:

Cariad is Welsh for "darling" often used for children + pets
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:If you insist of posting in another language then at least have the courtesy to post an english translation so we can all join in,after all in generally English speaking company you'd be talking to yourself in another language so why do it on an English speaking forum.
Thanks to Google Translate, all of us are 'multilingual' now - in writing at least! Having said that, I can't vouch for any accuracy in its output.

And furthermore, "vISov chaq ghaj 'op nuv". Eat your heart out, Mr Google!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cariad is Welsh for "darling" often used for children + pets
Evidently comes from the same root as Latin carus = 'dear'. Welsh is not that remote a language after all. Having said that, I'd never be able to understand it (apart from the odd set phrase like iechyd da)!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If you insist of posting in another language then at least have the courtesy to post an english translation so we can all join in,after all in generally English speaking company you'd be talking to yourself in another language so why do it on an English speaking forum.
Thanks to Google Translate, all of us are 'multilingual' now - in writing at least! Having said that, I can't vouch for any accuracy in its output.

And furthermore, "vISov chaq ghaj 'op nuv". Eat your heart out, Mr Google!

But I don't want to go to the trouble of or should need to translate via Google into English,what pluristically linguistical skilled individuals decide is that they seem to like to bamboozle the less linguistacally educated individuals using the forum,and as such those individuals posts get skipped over with a sigh and a silent exclamation of,why? :?
To be blunt ,it's tiresome
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden