Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
Graham wrote:I'll let the title stand as is.

We can make our own judgements about the choice of words and how they reflect upon the author.

A general observation though. Our brains seem to be pretty good at deciding where to pay attention and where it may reasonably assume that no special attention is needed. Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

I'm not sure what to make of your reply Graham. It opens as if you've made a judgment in your role of moderator and then seems to moves on to comment as a poster. Or was it all intended as moderation? If not, do you think the two ought to be kept separate?

Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Graham +1. Wrong title on so many levels.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:..... Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

Not as a rule no I expect them to be safe unless otherwise stated or a restriction in the form of a barrier if dangerous.

Slight thread drift.
When I was recovering from my hip op last year as part of rehab I was told to walk with crutches as much as I felt I could,what became immediately apparent which had never occurred to me before was how uneven the pavements were and how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.

EDIT:- The idea behind safety management is much as I treat other road users,that is to work to the lowest common denominator,namely that anyone one of the myriad of people walking about has the potential to be a complete idiot,if only temporarily,but the potential is real and evident within humanity,curiosity,and more likely familiarity knows no bounds.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Nov 2018, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

My Dad had eyesight so poor that he was registered blind in the last few years before he died, and he could have fallen through that hole. So could I if I were looking at a display instead of at the floor.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.

Yes, but it's different money.
That's the great thing about how our government works - it's not about saving money overall, it's about saving money in a department.

Joined up thinking? If only...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:My Dad had eyesight so poor that he was registered blind in the last few years before he died, and he could have fallen through that hole. So could I if I were looking at a display instead of at the floor.

Yes,sorry I forgot to mention the sight impaired.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Nov 2018, 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.

Yes, but it's different money.
That's the great thing about how our government works - it's not about saving money overall, it's about saving money in a department.

Joined up thinking? If only...

I wish :?
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Graham wrote:..... Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

Only in a carpet shop :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Milk of human kindness somewhat curdled here, OP?

+1
W H Auden
661-Pete

<title deleted>

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants. I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

In the 1920's my grandparents ran a grocery shop in south London. One day a customer entered the shop, and finding it unattended, placed an object on the scales. The scales were of the type with a display that could be read from both sides of the counter. He noted the weight as viewed from the his side and then then walked round to the other side of the counter to check if it gave the same reading. You can probably guess what's coming. He landed in a heap in the cellar where my grandfather was working.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Norman H wrote:In the 1920's my grandparents ran a grocery shop in south London. One day a customer entered the shop, and finding it unattended, placed an object on the scales. The scales were of the type with a display that could be read from both sides of the counter. He noted the weight as viewed from the his side and then then walked round to the other side of the counter to check if it gave the same reading. You can probably guess what's coming. He landed in a heap in the cellar where my grandfather was working.

-1, I guessed what was coming, I thought he would have left the money on the counter and gone home, people were so honest back then :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Re: <title deleted>

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants. I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...

And once again the (lack of) moderation makes this forum feel like a toxic environment about a wide range of health problems, physical or mental! Someone fell down a hole? They must be a [rude word removed] loonie, poor dear - lock 'em away! :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bad taste maybe, mercalia doesnae have the power to section people, fortunately

The court got it right, the retailer had to pay a substantial (?) fine

mercalia needs to go cycling more :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Re: <title deleted>

Post by PH »

661-Pete wrote:
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants - about the OP as a whole, not merely about its title (which I refuse to replicate). I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...

I don't disagreeing with Graham's sentiment in his observation. I am disappointed by the moderation.
Neither am I questioning his right to post his opinion, but unlike you and I, he wears two hats and it's unclear from his post (To me at least) whether they have been kept separate. The first line could only be written by a moderator, it's a moderators decision. Is what follows part of that moderation? Or is it Graham posting as a contributor?