Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby pete75 » 2 Nov 2018, 10:42am

PH wrote:
Graham wrote:I'll let the title stand as is.

We can make our own judgements about the choice of words and how they reflect upon the author.

A general observation though. Our brains seem to be pretty good at deciding where to pay attention and where it may reasonably assume that no special attention is needed. Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

I'm not sure what to make of your reply Graham. It opens as if you've made a judgment in your role of moderator and then seems to moves on to comment as a poster. Or was it all intended as moderation? If not, do you think the two ought to be kept separate?


Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8959
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby al_yrpal » 2 Nov 2018, 10:46am

Graham +1. Wrong title on so many levels.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 10:57am

Graham wrote:..... Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?

Not as a rule no I expect them to be safe unless otherwise stated or a restriction in the form of a barrier if dangerous.

Slight thread drift.
When I was recovering from my hip op last year as part of rehab I was told to walk with crutches as much as I felt I could,what became immediately apparent which had never occurred to me before was how uneven the pavements were and how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.


EDIT:- The idea behind safety management is much as I treat other road users,that is to work to the lowest common denominator,namely that anyone one of the myriad of people walking about has the potential to be a complete idiot,if only temporarily,but the potential is real and evident within humanity,curiosity,and more likely familiarity knows no bounds.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Nov 2018, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------

pwa
Posts: 13639
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby pwa » 2 Nov 2018, 11:07am

My Dad had eyesight so poor that he was registered blind in the last few years before he died, and he could have fallen through that hole. So could I if I were looking at a display instead of at the floor.

kwackers
Posts: 15219
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby kwackers » 2 Nov 2018, 11:10am

reohn2 wrote:how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.

Yes, but it's different money.
That's the great thing about how our government works - it's not about saving money overall, it's about saving money in a department.

Joined up thinking? If only...

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 11:10am

pwa wrote:My Dad had eyesight so poor that he was registered blind in the last few years before he died, and he could have fallen through that hole. So could I if I were looking at a display instead of at the floor.

Yes,sorry I forgot to mention the sight impaired.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Nov 2018, 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 11:11am

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:how the old and infirm/disabled could find walking on such surfaces a trip hazard,and should they fall and break a bone their subsequent treatment could pay for a lot of relaying of paving on footways.

Yes, but it's different money.
That's the great thing about how our government works - it's not about saving money overall, it's about saving money in a department.

Joined up thinking? If only...


I wish :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby pete75 » 2 Nov 2018, 11:22am

Graham wrote:..... Do you pay close attention to floors in shops ?


Only in a carpet shop :wink:

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 11:25am

Bonefishblues wrote:Milk of human kindness somewhat curdled here, OP?

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9844
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

<title deleted>

Postby 661-Pete » 2 Nov 2018, 11:56am

pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants. I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Norman H
Posts: 957
Joined: 31 Jul 2011, 4:39pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Norman H » 2 Nov 2018, 12:19pm

In the 1920's my grandparents ran a grocery shop in south London. One day a customer entered the shop, and finding it unattended, placed an object on the scales. The scales were of the type with a display that could be read from both sides of the counter. He noted the weight as viewed from the his side and then then walked round to the other side of the counter to check if it gave the same reading. You can probably guess what's coming. He landed in a heap in the cellar where my grandfather was working.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Nov 2018, 12:29pm

Norman H wrote:In the 1920's my grandparents ran a grocery shop in south London. One day a customer entered the shop, and finding it unattended, placed an object on the scales. The scales were of the type with a display that could be read from both sides of the counter. He noted the weight as viewed from the his side and then then walked round to the other side of the counter to check if it gave the same reading. You can probably guess what's coming. He landed in a heap in the cellar where my grandfather was working.

-1, I guessed what was coming, I thought he would have left the money on the counter and gone home, people were so honest back then :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16581
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: <title deleted>

Postby mjr » 2 Nov 2018, 3:45pm

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants. I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...


And once again the (lack of) moderation makes this forum feel like a toxic environment about a wide range of health problems, physical or mental! Someone fell down a hole? They must be a [rude word removed] loonie, poor dear - lock 'em away! :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Nov 2018, 4:11pm

bad taste maybe, mercalia doesnae have the power to section people, fortunately

The court got it right, the retailer had to pay a substantial (?) fine

mercalia needs to go cycling more :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

PH
Posts: 9775
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: <title deleted>

Postby PH » 2 Nov 2018, 4:25pm

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants - about the OP as a whole, not merely about its title (which I refuse to replicate). I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...

I don't disagreeing with Graham's sentiment in his observation. I am disappointed by the moderation.
Neither am I questioning his right to post his opinion, but unlike you and I, he wears two hats and it's unclear from his post (To me at least) whether they have been kept separate. The first line could only be written by a moderator, it's a moderators decision. Is what follows part of that moderation? Or is it Graham posting as a contributor?