Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: <title deleted>

Postby pete75 » 2 Nov 2018, 4:31pm

mjr wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not really. Graham gave his reasons for leaving the title as it was - presumably after complaints. Nothing wrong with him making a general observation which holds a lot of truth either.
I agree - and I'm certainly one of the complainants. I'm not in the habit of 'going public' about having reported a post, but I will do so this time...

Me too. :twisted:

And once again the (lack of) moderation makes this forum feel like a toxic environment about a wide range of health problems, physical or mental! Someone fell down a hole? They must be a <i>[rude word removed]</i> loonie, poor dear - lock 'em away! :-(


Oh come on - toxic environment indeed. People may well say things you don't like or disagree with but that's not a reason for them to be censored. If you think they're wrong tell them why. It may even help change their views.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Nov 2018, 4:37pm

Moderation - too much, or not enough? :?
Toxic environment?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16581
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: <title deleted>

Postby mjr » 2 Nov 2018, 4:42pm

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:And once again the (lack of) moderation makes this forum feel like a toxic environment about a wide range of health problems, physical or mental! Someone fell down a hole? They must be a <i>[rude word removed]</i> loonie, poor dear - lock 'em away! :-(


Oh come on - toxic environment indeed. People may well say things you don't like or disagree with but that's not a reason for them to be censored. If you think or even know they're wrong tell them why. It may even help change their views.

Firstly, this is about punishment and correction, not censorship; secondly, it's not because I dislike or disagree, but because it's simply offensive and unnecessary in this case. Leaving the offensive text visible means it keeps on damaging forevermore.

Here's an introduction to why using mental health terms like "sectioned" as insults is a bad idea. Be like Jon Snow, mercalia, apologise and correct yourself. https://sectioneduk.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -lunatics/

I'll leave it to others to explain why ageism and sexism is wrong because I must go fettle the bike ready for the next ride.

Why must people still explain these things every bloody time? It would be so much better coming from the mods with the threat of a sanction instead of us repeating the same silly dance with offenders who have probably heard it all before by now and keep on doing it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: <title deleted>

Postby pete75 » 2 Nov 2018, 5:00pm

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:And once again the (lack of) moderation makes this forum feel like a toxic environment about a wide range of health problems, physical or mental! Someone fell down a hole? They must be a <i>[rude word removed]</i> loonie, poor dear - lock 'em away! :-(


Oh come on - toxic environment indeed. People may well say things you don't like or disagree with but that's not a reason for them to be censored. If you think or even know they're wrong tell them why. It may even help change their views.

Firstly, this is about punishment and correction, not censorship; secondly, it's not because I dislike or disagree, but because it's simply offensive and unnecessary in this case. Leaving the offensive text visible means it keeps on damaging forevermore.

Here's an introduction to why using mental health terms like "sectioned" as insults is a bad idea. Be like Jon Snow, mercalia, apologise and correct yourself. https://sectioneduk.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -lunatics/

I'll leave it to others to explain why ageism and sexism is wrong because I must go fettle the bike ready for the next ride.

Why must people still explain these things every bloody time? It would be so much better coming from the mods with the threat of a sanction instead of us repeating the same silly dance with offenders who have probably heard it all before by now and keep on doing it.


Punishment and correction - now if someone says something you don't like they should be punished or corrected... I don't like what the chap said as you can probably tell from my first post in this thread but I'd never say he should be punished or corrected.

User avatar
fossala
Posts: 1237
Joined: 21 May 2013, 8:29am

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby fossala » 2 Nov 2018, 5:13pm

PH wrote:
fossala wrote:
PH wrote:Who says she's an old dear? Your thread says more about you than her.

The article says she's 64 and although I'm not one to presume gender the article refers to her as someone who identifies as a female.

The term is ageist, sexist and patronising, I know plenty of women around that age who the term would be wholly inappropriate to describe. The story doesn't draw any relationship between her gender or age and the incident. Did she fall down the hole because she's an old dear? I'm not making that assumption, some of the 60+ women I saw hammering it around the velodrome last week might also have fallen down it, as might I. When such lazy stereotyping is applied to cyclists we rightly object, it has nothing to do with the story, unless you know otherwise?

Fair point. I guess I've lived down Cornwall too long and find terms like old dear/man normal and there are no intention of implying frailty.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cunobelin » 2 Nov 2018, 6:11pm

fossala wrote:
PH wrote:
fossala wrote:The article says she's 64 and although I'm not one to presume gender the article refers to her as someone who identifies as a female.

The term is ageist, sexist and patronising, I know plenty of women around that age who the term would be wholly inappropriate to describe. The story doesn't draw any relationship between her gender or age and the incident. Did she fall down the hole because she's an old dear? I'm not making that assumption, some of the 60+ women I saw hammering it around the velodrome last week might also have fallen down it, as might I. When such lazy stereotyping is applied to cyclists we rightly object, it has nothing to do with the story, unless you know otherwise?

Fair point. I guess I've lived down Cornwall too long and find terms like old dear/man normal and there are no intention of implying frailty.



I remember a Scottish friend who married a young French lady after working in France. When they returned to Scotland, she went in to a local shop, and bought some bits and pieces. At the till the lady behind the count asked "Is that you, Hen?" Which is a polite Scottish phrase inquiring whether you have everything that you need................unless you are from a place where a "Hen" is a lady of negotiable virtue

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Nov 2018, 6:16pm

I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Basic failure to keep public safe

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 6:44pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

Yet Mrs R2 dislikes that term intensely.
Last edited by Graham on 4 Nov 2018, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The one title that missed the upgrade :)
-----------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 6489
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Graham » 2 Nov 2018, 7:06pm

mercalia may have forgotten that there is an EDIT button. The use of which, upon the original post, might bring some relief.

pete75
Posts: 13641
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby pete75 » 2 Nov 2018, 7:10pm

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

Yet Mrs R2 dislikes that term intensely.

Round here in Lincs they use "duck" in the same way.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 2 Nov 2018, 7:37pm

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

Yet Mrs R2 dislikes that term intensely.

Round here in Lincs they use "duck" in the same way.

Derbyshire too I think
Bought the Grauniad at Hartshead Moor Services:
- Hello love
- One pound fifty please love
- Thanks love

Three times, +3! :)

Why does Mrs r2 dislike being so addressed?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8679
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 Nov 2018, 7:57pm

I reckon peer censure is as effective, if not more so than Mod censorship.

...and we get to have an argument about it, too. What's not to like - apart from the poor lady who paid for a moment's inattention (there's victim blaming in action :wink: ) with months of agony with multiple operations. Shame someone chose to betray their ignorance in such a crass manner.

Shall we move on?

User avatar
bigjim
Posts: 3231
Joined: 2 Feb 2008, 5:08pm
Location: Manchester

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby bigjim » 2 Nov 2018, 8:35pm

So the old lady gets the £120 victim surcharge. Who gets the £337,000?

User avatar
bigjim
Posts: 3231
Joined: 2 Feb 2008, 5:08pm
Location: Manchester

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby bigjim » 2 Nov 2018, 8:37pm

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

Yet Mrs R2 dislikes that term intensely.

My wife says it makes her feel old. I think it's nice.

reohn2
Posts: 40629
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Why didn't she notice the trap door?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Nov 2018, 9:48pm

bigjim wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do like shopping in Yorkshire, the complete stranger at the till calls me "love" :)

Yet Mrs R2 dislikes that term intensely.

My wife says it makes her feel old. I think it's nice.

Mrs R2 sees it as being too familiar,personally I see it as colloquial and pleasantly familiar.
-----------------------------------------------------------