Load of balls on TV - shock, horror !!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: Load of balls on TV - shock, horror !!

Post by peetee »

Si wrote:
I know of lots of people who don't use social media, I am one of them

erm......far be it for me to point out what's wrong with this statement but......;-)

D'oh :oops: Ok fair enough but I was specifically referring to twitface type thingies.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Si wrote:
I know of lots of people who don't use social media, I am one of them

erm......far be it for me to point out what's wrong with this statement but......;-)
A bit like the statement "I'm not paranoid, but people keep getting at me...."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is a publicly accessed internet forum specifically for cycling "social media"?

If so, it's the only social medium I use.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Thanks Mick. Somebody is on the side of the specky skinny kid :(
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I suppose it depends how you define "social media". Any sort of online website in which you can converse with other people, either in real time or after a short delay, counts as "social media" maybe. I play bridge online. Under the playing area on the screen there's a chatline wherein you can chat to other players in realtime. You're supposed to limit your chat to comments about the bridge, but some people go way off-topic! Especially on Friday evenings, for some reason: maybe alcohol plays a part. I think for these people, it does count as a form of social media.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:I suppose it depends how you define "social media".

How do you communicate your bridge moves? Presumably you do so in a social setting?
I think I'd be tempted to say playing bridge online is a form of social media even without a chat window.

It's a bit of a movable feast...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I suppose it depends how you define "social media".

How do you communicate your bridge moves? Presumably you do so in a social setting?
I think I'd be tempted to say playing bridge online is a form of social media even without a chat window.

It's a bit of a movable feast...
I wouldn't call, clicking on a bid in the bidding-box to say, you want to make that bid - or clicking on a card in your hand or dummy, to say, you want to play that card .... I wouldn't call that, communicating, in a social media sense. You can if you prefer remain completely silent on the chatline - and then the other players will know nothing about you except your playing style. Indeed they won't even know whether you speak English. I have partnered non-English speakers.

Another point: many players on that site play with robots. You can't chat to a robot (well: not these robots anyway). Marvin the Paranoid Android and C3PO haven't shown up yet.

No. I call social media, a means whereby people can take part in conversation .... on whatever.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:No. I call social media, a means whereby people can take part in conversation .... on whatever.

That's why I said it's a movable feast.

It really comes down to what constitutes communication.
Obviously doesn't need to be verbal, could be visual, but then doesn't need to be either, could be simply typing, or gesturing or simply telling another person what move you want to make...

The robot analogy doesn't really work for me, in my world everyone on here is a robot. I'm the only real person and I'm talking to a multi-personality bot with cycling pretensions... :lol:
I guess we all simply pick a point where we make our mark in the ground and decide on this side it's social media and on that side it's not.

For some reason this suddenly reminded me of the "which come first, the chicken or the egg?" nonsense. (It was the egg btw).
I think mainly because two non chickens who loved each other very much had a baby between them that by some arbitrary definition of what is a chicken passed the test and was the worlds first chicken (or rather chicken in an egg).
The point being that your definition of what makes a chicken is probably not mine and so whilst the egg always comes first we probably couldn't agree which egg it was...

It's obviously way past my bedtime... ;)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:The robot analogy doesn't really work for me, in my world everyone on here is a robot. I'm the only real person and I'm talking to a multi-personality bot with cycling pretensions... :lol:
Well, I'm glad to hear it! Now excuse me, I really must go and get the diodes all down my left side checked over.....
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
No. I call social media, a means whereby people can take part in conversation .... on whatever.

Which is just what you're doing here - having a conversation about what constitutes social media.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Which is just what you're doing here - having a conversation about what constitutes social media.
Precisely. I never said this forum wasn't an example of social media - I think that was someone else.

If I go to the bridge site, and confine my comments to such as "good luck partner", "well played, opponents", "good try partner", "hard luck, opponents", etc. - generally abbreviated to GLP, WPO, GTP, HLO, etc. - that's not social media. That's just courtesy. Which is - alas! - a virtue sadly lacking in many social media sites....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Trying to get back on topic: who has plans for Black Friday? (Not 29.3.2019)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies