Cornwall cut off

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Cornwall cut off

Post by PDQ Mobile »

peetee wrote:I wonder if accurate full mapping even exists. The practice was unregulated and unrecorded for many years so there are probably miles of tunnels waiting to be found.
I lived a stone's throw away from South Crofty, the last working tin mine, in Pool near Redruth. It was very common to feel rumblings through the floor that would repeat, to a greater or lesser degree, as the blasts echoed through different shafts. Also, most evenings at (around 7.30 IIRC) the glass in the front door would rattle as Concord accelerated away from the UK.
Back in the 80's fly tipping was rife (probably still is) and the easiest place to dump it without a trace was the un-capped disused mine shafts. The one behind our garden was 600 ft deep and when they came to give it a concrete hat all but 30 ft was full of rubbish!

So you know the unforgettable sound of a Morris Minor pushed over the edge of an 800' mineshaft? :shock:
peetee

Post by peetee »

Steady on. I have owned six of them and only one was rubbish.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

peetee wrote:Steady on. I have owned six of them and only one was rubbish.

Did you also own a welder?
Having owned Moggies (and a few Brit cars of the same era) not only did I find a welder to be prerequisite but I got pretty good with it!

(I even owned a Moggie Minor Pickup)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Problem with the Corns(carbuncles),they complain when theyre invaded by Grockles and moan when the Grockles cant get there :? :mrgreen: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Facinating,and more than likely due to the geology the workings will still be there,although they'de need pumping out as water was a problem in that area.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:I wonder if accurate full mapping even exists. The practice was unregulated and unrecorded for many years so there are probably miles of tunnels waiting to be found........

It was the same story with coalmining innthe Wigan area(most mined area in Europe)there were many small,pits that were never recorded for tax evasion purposes.
When the Wigan olympic sized smimming pool was dug out in the 70's they found pillar and stall workings with some tools still there! worķings where estimate to be from the 19th century.
Also there was similar workings uncoverd in the Whelley area of Wigan with pit props,some tools and a wooden minecar all reletively intact,these have been accurately dated to 1737 when a fire had engulfed it and closed the pit.
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

kwackers wrote:

Did you also own a welder?
Having owned Moggies (and a few Brit cars of the same era) not only did I find a welder to be prerequisite but I got pretty good with it!

(I even owned a Moggie Minor Pickup)

Ah, a pick up would have been nice.
In order they were a converted soft top saloon (the duff one), a 2 door for spares, 4 door, 4 door, genuine soft top and Traveller.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ah but I was referring genuinely to the sound and not to the Minor itself, which I am rather fond of.

Perhaps I should have said a Renault Espace!
Ps though it would seem you are familiar with the (Minor!) sound
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:Problem with the Corns(carbuncles),they complain when theyre invaded by Grockles and moan when the Grockles cant get there :? :mrgreen: :wink:

'Tis a common phenomena in Western parts.

" Just throw your cheque book over the boundary and then .... off"!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Where is Morris Major?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

He's in hiding with Austin Mini. :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Problem with the Corns(carbuncles),they complain when theyre invaded by Grockles and moan when the Grockles cant get there :? :mrgreen: :wink:

'Tis a common phenomena in Western parts.

" Just throw your cheque book over the boundary and then .... off"!

Quite!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:He's in hiding with Austin Mini. :shock:

And his rather overly large brother Austin Maxi :shock: :shock:
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On railways, I follow the railway out of Newton Abbott (can see it yards away) on my regular route, through Hackney Marshes where a cyclist was washed down stream and my sub mariner expedition above the knees along the cycle path :)
Through Hackney Marshes which I have concluded is tidal (called Jetty March on some maps) and the single track railway has lost ballast several times with flooding which can be several times a year.
I cross the old rail bed complete with steel rails set in road (I believe this is the spot on map where the railway used to go next to a38) on my route, but that's the last you see of the railway apart from some bridges further on the Teign valley.
There tonight, took me a while to realise that was railway I was crossing on my bike.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have an addit under our property, accessed from the road down the lane.
When we bought this place in 1997, we had a mining survey done, but there was nothing in the report that we didn't already know.

Last place we lived at - moved in in 1985 - the folk next door told us that if we had any rubbish, we should drop it into the mine shaft just up the road. I went to see it, and I could see TONS of rubbish down there including fridges, freezers and washing machines, though I didn't see any Morris Minors. All capped off now properly, but the addit under our place has a only wet wooden panelling holding the airshaft up. We've been under there, and looked up.
PICT0015.jpg

Meanwhile ..................... the railway line at Dawlish has reopened.
Mick F. Cornwall