Twice Drunk Driver Escapes Jail And Keeps Job

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Twice Drunk Driver Escapes Jail And Keeps Job

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Was annoys me is the hypocrisy of the medical profession.

Had this been a Nurse or Allied Health Professional, they would have probably been suspended for struck off at the first offence

Why?

Because drink driving is something that shows a level of professionalism, character and judgement that is below that expected of a Health Care Professional
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

brooksby wrote:

Had this been a Nurse or Allied Health Professional, they would have probably been suspended for struck off at the first offence

I recall taking my son - just a baby, at the time - to an out of hours service late one night. The doctor absolutely reeked of booze. My wife and I were just looking at each other, thinking "Who would we even tell about this?"

There must always be a system with immediate recourse as this individual's actions are endangering their patients. Speak to one of the others, the receptionist, as there WILL be a system in place
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Why?

Because drink driving is something that shows a level of professionalism, character and judgement that is below that expected of a Health Care Professional

I wasn't clear. Why would different members of the medical be treated differently?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Why?

I wasn't clear. Why would different members of the medical be treated differently?

My point exactly...

Nurses and AHPs tend to have higher professional standards than Doctors, and all too often are suspended or removed for offenses that a Doctor gets a slapped wrist for
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

My point exactly...

Nurses and AHPs tend to have higher professional standards than Doctors, and all too often are suspended or removed for offenses that a Doctor gets a slapped wrist for

I'm interested to see the evidence for that.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There are confidentiality issues, but over 40 years I have seen numerous examples, which have emphasized this

In one case a Doctor was stealing controlled drugs, forging prescriptions self administering and it did not even merit an investigation, and they continued to practice

Now compare to this: Nurse struck offg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

My point exactly...

There's always different rules for those at the top of the tree than for their minions. Either that or could it be there's lot more money down the drain when a Dr is topped from working.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So it can't be evidenced except anecdotally, I guess.
meic

Post by meic »

Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:There are confidentiality issues, but over 40 years I have seen numerous examples, which have emphasized this

In one case a Doctor was stealing controlled drugs, forging prescriptions self administering and it did not even merit an investigation, and they continued to practice

Actually, thinking about that more, aren't all determinations by NMC and GMC in the public domain, so statistics should be available?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:https://www.mpts-uk.org/static/documents/content/Dr_Lauren_FOWLER_02_November_2018.pdf

I take it to mean that she is allowed to continue to work within the medical profession under supervision and with restrictions on the type ow work she can do and that there will be a review where she will be expected to demonstrate she has made progress. (That's my summary after a quick read.)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's pretty much it. Her case was aided because she'd had time to demonstrate remorse and behavioural change, I think.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:There are confidentiality issues, but over 40 years I have seen numerous examples, which have emphasized this

Actually, thinking about that more, aren't all determinations by NMC and GMC in the public domain, so statistics should be available?

.... isn

That would be ideal, but if no action was taken by these bodies (as in the case I gave) there is no public record, so any detail that could identify the person would be a breach of confidentiality
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:
meic wrote:https://www.mpts-uk.org/static/documents/content/Dr_Lauren_FOWLER_02_November_2018.pdf

I take it to mean that she is allowed to continue to work within the medical profession under supervision and with restrictions on the type ow work she can do and that there will be a review where she will be expected to demonstrate she has made progress. (That's my summary after a quick read.)

NOT (as a rule) something extended to AHPs and Nurses
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

.... isn

That would be ideal, but if no action was taken by these bodies (as in the case I gave) there is no public record, so any detail that could identify the person would be a breach of confidentiality

GMC rules below:

The fact that a doctor is the subject of an investigation will not be routinely disclosed to
general enquirers (apart from current or new employers/responsible officers) or the media
unless and until a warning is issued, undertakings are agreed or a hearing takes place.