Prescription Charges

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Prescription Charges

Post by Psamathe »

I was rather shocked/disappointed today when 1st time for ages I had to get a prescription from my local pharmacy (tooth abyss/anti-biotic) and I went to pay and they said "no, you get them free". I queried this as there is no way I justify getting free prescriptions but they said because I am over 60 they are now free! 60 is not even government retirement age and with an NHS more than struggling in need of money to give me free prescriptions seems ludicrous. 60 still 5 years short of state pension age!

Ian
reohn2

Re: Prescription Charges

Post by reohn2 »

Yes I was surprised at this too in similar circumstances.I'd agree to half charges after 60years old and free after retirement age.
IIRC I was also informed that I was eligible for a bus pass at 60 too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I think bus passes now go with retirement age.
John
meic

Post by meic »

They are free for everybody on the right side of the border. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:I was rather shocked/disappointed today when 1st time for ages I had to get a prescription from my local pharmacy (tooth abyss/anti-biotic) and I went to pay and they said "no, you get them free". I queried this as there is no way I justify getting free prescriptions but they said because I am over 60 they are now free! 60 is not even government retirement age and with an NHS more than struggling in need of money to give me free prescriptions seems ludicrous. 60 still 5 years short of state pension age!

Ian

Plus One, a novel complaint :wink:

I should like to complain about fuel being too cheap when I fill up my vehicle, maybe I could donate some cash to the Authorities
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:IIRC I was also informed that I was eligible for a bus pass at 60 too.
Bus Pass is at 'retirement age' now.

It was 60, but they gradually increased the age. I was 62 before I was allowed mine as a late 1952 baby, but Mrs Mick F has to be 66 as she's a 1956 baby.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I always think 'Prescription Charges? An unfair tax on the sick! '

Should be free of charge regardless of age IMO.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Psamathe wrote: 60 still 5 years short of state pension age!

Ian

Sorry to bring bad news but it will be at least 6 years before you reach state pension age. And if they move the goalposts again......... :x
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

meic wrote:They are free for everybody on the right side of the border. :wink:

No, they are not "free for everybody the right side of the border" ... it's paid for by those of us tax payers on the wrong side .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

They are still free for US though. :D
Thankyou.

Though I dont make use of this state benefit I am pleased to say.
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If it's any consolation to folks, any presciptions from my dentist are not free (because my dentist is not on the NHS :( ).

I've been getting free NHS prescriptions for over 8 years now. Maybe the charge ought to be means-tested? But how to do it fairly? Anyway, before I reached 60, for several years I had a prescription Prepayment Certificate (a sort of season ticket). Last time I renewed mine, it cost £102 per annum (it's probably more, now) - quite a tidy sum - but for the amount of stuff I needed, it was still a cost benefit.

I don't really feel guilty about this. After all, the amount of taxes I've paid over the years - and am still paying...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Anybody who feels they are receiving too much from the welfare state can always pass it on to the Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt.

https://www.dmo.gov.uk/responsibilities ... reduction/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote:
Psamathe wrote: 60 still 5 years short of state pension age!

Ian

Sorry to bring bad news but it will be at least 6 years before you reach state pension age. And if they move the goalposts again......... :x

Speaking "generically". Everybody I know was kept well informed of the increase in pension age so no complaints from me about it.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:I always think 'Prescription Charges? An unfair tax on the sick! '

Should be free of charge regardless of age IMO.

Al

I would agree or at least it should be the same across the entire UK. But given we have prescription charges and given the NHS is short of money, seems a daft to discriminate against those ages 59 vs those age 60. It would make sense to have no prescription charges or for it to be linked to receiving the State Pension.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I was rather shocked/disappointed today when 1st time for ages I had to get a prescription from my local pharmacy (tooth abyss/anti-biotic) and I went to pay and they said "no, you get them free". I queried this as there is no way I justify getting free prescriptions but they said because I am over 60 they are now free! 60 is not even government retirement age and with an NHS more than struggling in need of money to give me free prescriptions seems ludicrous. 60 still 5 years short of state pension age!

Ian

Plus One, a novel complaint :wink:

I should like to complain about fuel being too cheap when I fill up my vehicle, maybe I could donate some cash to the Authorities

A jest surely. Fuel should be about 50 pence a litre. The price is mad artificially high by taxation.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker