Has Mrs May been a good PM?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Yes
18%
No
74%
Dont Know
9%

Total votes: 34

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

"But if her premiership has been sorely lacking in imagination at times, by taking the referendum result so literally she has at least provided a moment of dreadful clarity about the consequences. Tory Brexiters demanded the impossible. Well, now they have it; a deal impossible to get through parliament, impossible to sell to leave voters so cynically led to expect something better. If nothing else, history will surely remember her more kindly than either the architects of leave or her predecessor, David Cameron, whose catastrophic error of judgment landed us in this mess. They broke it, but she owned it, which explains the odd note of pity that creeps in when her name crops up in conversations beyond Westminster. It may now be for someone else to glue the pieces back together."
reohn2

Re: Has Mrs May been a good PM?

Post by reohn2 »

In total a resounding NO just like all the rightwing cowboys of the past 30 odd years the rich have got richer and the poor have struggled evenmore.
Another slimeball IMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The question is in the past tense but she is still in office and in power :wink:
Maybe she shall last as long as Maggie :?

JoJo for PM!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The question is in the past tense but she is still in office and in power :wink:

JoJo for PM!

not past tense I think. Pete-661 will probably churp in and tell us the grammatical tense

I could have added " so far"?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Senior female politrickians go on and on, Mrs Clinton wants to stand for President again! :wink:
'I got us into this mess, I shall get us out of it!' - Chairperson May :?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The question is in the past tense but she is still in office and in power :wink:

I interepreted it as meaning up to this point in time. If you can accurately judge someone's future performance, please let me know how. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:

I interepreted it as meaning up to this point in time. If you can accurately judge someone's future performance, please let me know how. ;)

It's the best predictor of future performance we have yet devised. Lazarus bucked the trend, but few others do.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Is the Pope a Protestant? :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:In total a resounding NO just like all the rightwing cowboys of the past 30 odd years the rich have got richer and the poor have struggled evenmore.
Another slimeball IMHO

39 years, 1979? :?
Who was the last good pm?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:

JoJo for PM!

not past tense I think. Pete-661 will probably churp in and tell us the grammatical tense

I could have added " so far"?
Well I don't really mind bearing the label "grammar pedant". Let's see if I can recall my Latin - and Spanish - grammar, and the difference between Imperfect, Perfect and Preterite tenses... oh and of course all those wretched Indicatives, Subjunctives, Imperatives and whatnot..... :shock:

Without probing too deeply: I think the OP's grammar is OK here :wink: .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It is something to do with the action being finished or still in progress so 'was she a good pm' would be wrong now
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

At risk of going off-topic, what did the author mean by Cameron's catastrophic error of judgement? Was it deciding to hold the thing-that-shall-not-be-named, the way he timed it, or his failure to manage the PR to get the vote he wanted? Or the really big one, becoming a Tory in the first place? :lol:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:
Is the Pope a Protestant? :roll:

Apparently he's Coptic Orthodox, if you believe a recent QI TV show. Turns out that the Roman Catholic who most of us call "the pope" doesn't actually have that as a title, instead it being a nickname from the Greek papa, for father.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pastychomper wrote:At risk of going off-topic, what did the author mean by Cameron's catastrophic error of judgement? Was it deciding to hold the thing-that-shall-not-be-named, the way he timed it, or his failure to manage the PR to get the vote he wanted? Or the really big one, becoming a Tory in the first place? :lol:

Doubtless the plural form should have been used :?
But Cameron the great cycling ambassador was (is?) such a softie, what else could he have done?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Pastychomper wrote:At risk of going off-topic, what did the author mean by Cameron's catastrophic error of judgement? Was it deciding to hold the thing-that-shall-not-be-named, the way he timed it, or his failure to manage the PR to get the vote he wanted? Or the really big one, becoming a Tory in the first place? :lol:
Rumour* has it that a pig was somehow involved...

*categorically denied no doubt