Motorcycle users group, seriously !

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bigjim

Re: Motorcycle users group, seriously !

Post by bigjim »

There are so few motorcyclists now, one is rarely troubled by them

Why do you think that is?
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I’ll have a guess at answering that;

1. Motorcycling isn’t as fashionable as it was in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. The result is that the age profile of motorcyclists is getting older, we are literally dying out.

2. The hoops that a young person has to go through to ride a bigger bike seem much more complex now. You can’t get away with riding your 250 around the block while the examiner stands on a street corner anymore**

One of my brothers mates actually fell of his bike during his test, but still passed as the examiner didn’t see it :-)
hondated

Post by hondated »

Whippet wrote:
2. The hoops that a young person has to go through to ride a bigger bike seem much more complex now. You can’t get away with riding your 250 around the block while the examiner stands on a street corner anymore**

One of my brothers mates actually fell of his bike during his test, but still passed as the examiner didn’t see it :-)

Reads to me that your brother got lucky Whippet like we did when we just had to ride our bikes around the block. :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Whippet wrote:I’ll have a guess at answering that;

1. Motorcycling isn’t as fashionable as it was in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. The result is that the age profile of motorcyclists is getting older, we are literally dying out.

Yep and you can't have a 250 at 16 either.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[youtube]HESIjHvOjtw[/youtube]

Dream on!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Our local training company has 6-10 under 20's going through their test .. successfully each month ... and lots of over 20's as well ....... but it is a hard grind ... respect to all our new Brothers and Sisters ....The Road Goes On Forever ...... 8)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Our local training company has 6-10 under 20's going through their test .. successfully each month ... and lots of over 20's as well ....... but it is a hard grind ... respect to all our new Brothers and Sisters ....The Road Goes On Forever ...... 8)

Is it harder than learning to drive a car?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Our local training company has 6-10 under 20's going through their test .. successfully each month ... and lots of over 20's as well ....... but it is a hard grind ... respect to all our new Brothers and Sisters ....The Road Goes On Forever ...... 8)

Is it harder than learning to drive a car?

A lot harder ..... like all on 2 wheels ... you have car and lorry drivers to contend with !!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

hondated wrote:Reads to me that your brother got lucky Whippet like we did when we just had to ride our bikes around the block. :lol:

That comment brings back memories of my test, taken on a snowy February morning in Redhill, Surrey (I called the centre beforehand to check tests were still going ahead in spite of the snow).

Rode to Redhill on my Yamaha RD250E, tester told me where to ride; I passed the test - in the snow: mind you even though I say so myself I am a natural: having a Dad and Grandad who rode motorcycles (Grandad in the 1920s and 30s, Dad in the late 40s and 50s) and bicycles I must add !

John.