Missing Person £11.75 Mil

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Missing Person £11.75 Mil

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
After the latest 150K from home office last week its running at 11.75 million of tax payers money.
I just wonder why so much and is this normal for a missing person?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7779795/m ... -be-alive/

“She is most likely being held captive, possibly in an underground cellar or dungeon and could emerge at any time.”
Really.

“I think there will be a resolution, it will be something simple like someone talking - a confession is the best hope of a breakthrough.”
We live in hope.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Missing Person £11.75 Mil

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am not saying stop looking, but why is so much being spent on one individual when so may others have gone missing?
It does appear to me that this sum is disproportionate.
My sceptic guess is the parents are well connected, how the other half live.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I assume in part it's because it's a higher profile story, with more news coverage, the authorities are then under more pressure to be seen to be doing something. It was a huge news story at the time, with people discussing the circumstances of it.

It isn't the same as a normal missing person, most missing people are assumed to have gone on their own accord and aren't as young.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The Ben Needham investigation was far less well-financed, hundreds of thousands rather than millions. McCann's parents are middle class and better connected - and this l think has made a difference. And overall, though it's hard to imagine how the McCann's feel, l don't think that £12 million is worth it for any single person.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am not saying stop looking, but why is so much being spent on one individual when so may others have gone missing?
It does appear to me that this sum is disproportionate.
My sceptic guess is the parents are well connected, how the other half live.

Better connected indeed. The girls mother is a friend of Esther McVey. It is not usual for the UK police to spend large amounts of money investigating crimes committed in other countries.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker