EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option --

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Should the UK stay in the EU?

Poll ended at 29 Dec 2018, 5:03pm

Yes
75%
No
24%
Don't know
1%

Total votes: 75

mjr

Re: EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option --

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:But that said,why did you pose such a poll when,from what's transpired on the other thread,it was obvious as to which way it would go?

I think we've been told repeatedly that leave's silent majority are ignoring the other thread because there are too many remainers challenging them and they don't need to explain and so on, so I can see why someone might think it was worth trying a new thread with a simple poll to see if that majority still believes in brexit strongly enough to vote anonymously.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many leave voters don't bother thinking much about politics but they do bother to vote

I do wish someone would vote 'don't know' and explain why
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But that said,why did you pose such a poll when,from what's transpired on the other thread,it was obvious as to which way it would go?

I think we've been told repeatedly that leave's silent majority are ignoring the other thread because there are too many remainers challenging them and they don't need to explain and so on, so I can see why someone might think it was worth trying a new thread with a simple poll to see if that majority still believes in brexit strongly enough to vote anonymously.

Yeah they won so no need to explain eh?
They couldn't care less about the 48% ,half of the population who voted remain they won.
Not a valid excuse,but it does smack of more than a bit of arrogance IMHO,which there's more a leettle in the brexit camp
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Believing several (six) impossible things before breakfast is a phrase used in 'Alice in Wonderland' good for politrickians, I like the phrase, I sadly believe the 'impossible' result of the 2016 referendum

I think the reference to Alice in Wonderland explains a lot both about Brexit and yourself,I'll leave it at that.
It's Through The Looking-Glass actually. But you must excuse my pedantry, I think the Looking-Glass analogy is more apposite. Hasn't the whole of politics, along with reason and commonsense, been turned a***-about-face since 2016?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Believing several (six) impossible things before breakfast is a phrase used in 'Alice in Wonderland' good for politrickians, I like the phrase, I sadly believe the 'impossible' result of the 2016 referendum

I think the reference to Alice in Wonderland explains a lot both about Brexit and yourself,I'll leave it at that.
It's Through The Looking-Glass actually. But you must excuse my pedantry, I think the Looking-Glass analogy is more apposite. Hasn't the whole of politics, along with reason and commonsense, been turned a***-about-face since 2016?

Quite right your last sentence says it all,we currently have a corrupt and incompetent government who's sole interest is looking after the rich and continuing their present course of making the rich richer and the poor suffer and who's contempt for the people knows no bounds.
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Pedantry excused, Plus One!
Both are true actually, I saw a film of the story 'Alice in Wunderland' (German), the mirror was mentioned too
The author dreamed up the story while staying in Llandudno, there are some figures there including Tweedledee & Tweedledum

Thread drift away from b****t, Plus Two!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Voting is generally anonymous, for good reasons I think

Quite right,but so is asking for an explanation for voting in such a way,it's entirely up the voters whether they enter into the debate.

But that said,why did you pose such a poll when,from what's transpired on the other thread,it was obvious as to which way it would go?

For you and I the result is obvious, a no-brainer, but I thought it would be interesting to allow votes, hope for a better shorter understanding instead of thousands of arguments and no votes on The Other Place (b****t thread)

Vote could have surprised us, I wish a few people would vote 'don't know' and explain why

Should have offered 'abstain' too (would anyone have chosen that?) but if I modify the poll now votes are zeroed
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:For you and I the result is obvious, a no-brainer, but I thought it would be interesting to allow votes, hope for a better shorter understanding instead of thousands of arguments and no votes on The Other Place (b****t thread)

Of course your poll is skewed by the fact that only those who could be bothered to vote have taken part. This is reflected by the fact there are no Don't Knows but polls reckon there are anything from 14 - 27% who still haven't decided. Given the excoriating nature of the other thread I'm not surprised people haven't posited their opinions here.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My Great Plan is 'compulsory' voting, I would make voting very easy with options 'none of the above' and 'abstain'

Parliament would in theory have 600 members, this would be adjusted according to turnout

60% turnout -> only 360 MPs :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:My Great Plan is 'compulsory' voting...

I don't know that compulsory voting in Australia has improved the quality of political debate, action or civility at all. And from what l read a few years ago it means that people deliberately don't register so they don't get fined - but that also means they never vote. Certainly the figures which give mid 90% estimates for turnout are not really of the total electorate.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There was an issue back in the 1992 GE, when many people of voting age hadn't registered because of the poll tax. According to some opinions this skewed the result in favour of the Tories.

I would go along with compulsory voting, even if it doesn't work in all countries. UK is not Australia. I would hope that a secure means of online voting could be implemented, with of course safeguards for those who don't have access to internet.

And there would have to be a 'none of the above' option on all ballots.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:My Great Plan is 'compulsory' voting...

I don't know that compulsory voting in Australia has improved the quality of political debate, action or civility at all. And from what l read a few years ago it means that people deliberately don't register so they don't get fined - but that also means they never vote. Certainly the figures which give mid 90% estimates for turnout are not really of the total electorate.

In Belgium I think it has been more successful, it is more about making voting easy and attractive by post, www etc etc
We are familiar with Australian legislation in another field (h*****s) :(
Belgium 1 Australia 0
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In Belgium I think it has been more successful, it is more about making voting easy and attractive by post, www etc etc
We are familiar with Australian legislation in another field (h*****s) :(
Belgium 1 Australia 0

I know quite a lot about Belgium and political processes there are not to be universally admired. It is a system which has six parliaments for only 11 million people, it is divided along linguistic lines and has frequent money related scandals.

Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25). I personally know of a funding cock up in Brussels which meant that a park project due to start in 2010 still hadn't started in 2016.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:For you and I the result is obvious, a no-brainer, but I thought it would be interesting to allow votes, hope for a better shorter understanding instead of thousands of arguments and no votes on The Other Place (b****t thread)

Of course your poll is skewed by the fact that only those who could be bothered to vote have taken part. This is reflected by the fact there are no Don't Knows but polls reckon there are anything from 14 - 27% who still haven't decided. Given the excoriating nature of the other thread I'm not surprised people haven't posited their opinions here.

A bit like the EU referendum of 2016 then eh? :wink:
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote:Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25).

OK, I'll bite: Brussels Capital Region has 4 ministers and 1 minister-president, so where are the other 95?

Belgium's politics isn't perfect, but the UK is currently stood in a very fragile greenhouse.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.