EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option --

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Should the UK stay in the EU?

Poll ended at 29 Dec 2018, 5:03pm

Yes
75%
No
24%
Don't know
1%

Total votes: 75

661-Pete

Re: EU referendum 3.0 -- with don't know option --

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:I know quite a lot about Belgium and political processes there are not to be universally admired. It is a system which has six parliaments for only 11 million people, it is divided along linguistic lines and has frequent money related scandals.

Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25). I personally know of a funding cock up in Brussels which meant that a park project due to start in 2010 still hadn't started in 2016.
Yes but I don't think these problems are the fault of the voting system - nor do I think they are grounds for dissing the EU in its entirety. And Belgium has been troubled by its linguistic/ethnic division for ages. Bit like Northern Ireland with its religious divide. Neither country has found it easy to maintain a stable Parliament. Where is Stormont today?

Of course, we have to admit that the UK is now riven down the middle by a political schism: courtesy of 2016. And it will be slow to heal - if ever.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:I know quite a lot about Belgium and political processes there are not to be universally admired. It is a system which has six parliaments for only 11 million people, it is divided along linguistic lines and has frequent money related scandals.

Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25). I personally know of a funding cock up in Brussels which meant that a park project due to start in 2010 still hadn't started in 2016.
Yes but I don't think these problems are the fault of the voting system - nor do I think they are grounds for dissing the EU in its entirety. And Belgium has been troubled by its linguistic/ethnic division for ages. Bit like Northern Ireland with its religious divide. Neither country has found it easy to maintain a stable Parliament. Where is Stormont today?

Of course, we have to admit that the UK is now riven down the middle by a political schism: courtesy of 2016. And it will be slow to heal - if ever.

One thing I've noticed is that many anti EU folk seem to have great difficulty in distinguishing between the EU as a whole and individual member states.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25).

OK, I'll bite: Brussels Capital Region has 4 ministers and 1 minister-president, so where are the other 95?

Belgium's politics isn't perfect, but the UK is currently stood in a very fragile greenhouse.

Possibly poor translation on my part, l read it in a German article (Focus) which was comparing the various numbers of politicians used to run cities. Of course GLA members are not ministers either, plus of course how do you (or they) count anything from councillors to peers?

But Belgium is top heavy on politicians - and scandals never stop happening.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&sourc ... 9064051800
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mjr wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Brussels, a city of 1 million, has more than 100 ministers (the GLA has 25).

OK, I'll bite: Brussels Capital Region has 4 ministers and 1 minister-president, so where are the other 95?

Belgium's politics isn't perfect, but the UK is currently stood in a very fragile greenhouse.

Possibly poor translation on my part, l read it in a German article (Focus) which was comparing the various numbers of politicians used to run cities. Of course GLA members are not ministers either, plus of course how do you (or they) count anything from councillors to peers?

But Belgium is top heavy on politicians - and scandals never stop happening.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&sourc ... 9064051800

And the UK isn't top heavy on politicians? Lincolnshire with a population of just over a million has about 360 councillors. That's not including Parish Councillors. They're all drawing on the public purse for doing something which was once done without payment by people who regarded it as a public duty.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mjr wrote:

Possibly poor translation on my part, l read it in a German article (Focus)

:wink:
Focus! It just reported that Luebeck is 399th in a list of the safest places in Germany (out of 401 towns/counties)
'We got the bronze!' rejoiced a commentator, another described Focus as Bild for richer people, it is full of lists and speculation, I am surprised it is still printed, Germany has three news magazines, UK has none, Spiegel* is better or even Stern

* Spiegel: makes complicated stories simple. And simple stories complicated (Spiegel)

Belgium has three languages, there is a lot of arguing and conflict as described elsewhere by chocjohn but no violence, Plus One

Cities, towns, communities are organised in diverse ways, it is hard to compare numbers of staff. Germany has too much democracy, 16 regional parliaments, seems to work well :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'We got the bronze!' rejoiced a commentator, another described Focus as Bild for richer people, it is full of lists and speculation, I am surprised it is still printed, Germany has three news magazines, UK has none, Spiegel* is better or even Stern

* Spiegel: makes complicated stories simple. And simple stories complicated (Spiegel

Maybe Focus is easier to read... but l found out why Spiegeleier are so called this week!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I know that Spiegel means mirror, but I think Spiegelei means fried egg. I'm sure I've seen it on menus.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:I know that Spiegel means mirror, but I think Spiegelei means fried egg. I'm sure I've seen it on menus.

Right again, fried egg
Spiegel is mirror, also the name of a news magazine

Couldnae find what mirrors have to do with fried eggs, mind :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps it's because people who read Der Spiegel can only see the sunny-side-up of things. Bit like Brex**it voters, back then in 2016...

On second thoughts - perhaps it's people who spend all their time looking in the mirror....
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again, fried egg

It's taken me 25 years to find out!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again, fried egg

It's taken me 25 years to find out!

Your starter for three
Who or what are:
Merkel-Raute
HSV-Raute
Neufuenfland
AKK?

A really easy one :wink:
What magazine publishes Fakten Fakten Fakten, facts facts facts?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Spiegel weich-ei?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Spiegel weich-ei?

Falsch, wrong!
Spiegel is read by schlecht gelaunte Besserwisser, bad-tempered know-alls like me :wink:
I read the Guardian mostly actually

Fff is the slogan used by another magazine, (not the Spiegel, which is best-known for the forged hitler diaries)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Falsch, wrong!
Spiegel is read by schlecht gelaunte Besserwisser, bad-tempered know-alls like me :wink:

Fff is the slogan used by another magazine, (not the Spiegel, which is best-known for the forged hitler diaries)

Fakten, Fakten, Fakten is Focus isn't it? (or maybe Mr Gradgrind...). The Merkel Raute is that square/diamond shape she makes with her hands.

Ich warte auf das aber...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Falsch, wrong!

Fakten, Fakten, Fakten is Focus isn't it? (or maybe Mr Gradgrind...). The Merkel Raute is that square/diamond shape she makes with her hands.

Ich warte auf das aber...

Merkel-Raute correct
Focus correct
HSV-Raute is the symbol of a Hamburg 'Dinosaur' football club just relegated to the second division for the first time (Schadenfreude)
Neufuenfland, new five land, is Ostdeutschland (the old Germany in both positive and negative senses)
AKK, you will know her soon enough, is Merkel's likely successor, the election for CDU chair is on 6.12, looks like another female 'Head Girl', +1