FILUMS .. Dud endings/starts/concept

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

FILUMS .. Dud endings/starts/concept

Post by mercalia »

I can think of 2 to start
Prometheus - the so called precursor to Alien that is supposed to explain Alien a) the completely unintelligable start where the alien eats some thing and his body dissolves into dna strands?!? b) who on earth would think about exterminating a species using some big mouthed monster on a one by one basis :roll:

Knowing - the end when the tall men become angels and whisk 20 or so kiddies off to become new adam and eve and dumps them near the tree of good and evil in a new eden :roll: So the only things worth saving werre a few kids? all the rest not worth the bother? what about all the culture that people have strived to create? The angels had 50+ years to do some thing better....
661-Pete

Re: FILUMS .. Dud endings/starts/concept

Post by 661-Pete »

I never understood Prometheus from beginning to end - let alone that beginning scene. Rather a disappointment. I was itching to learn what sort of a monster the "Space Jockey" (as per Alien) would turn out to be when it was still alive. You know the sort of thing: backbone in the front of its body and all that...

That it ended up as a mere humanoid in a funny space-suit ... well, a bit of a come-down.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:I never understood Prometheus from beginning to end - let alone that beginning scene. Rather a disappointment. I was itching to learn what sort of a monster the "Space Jockey" (as per Alien) would turn out to be when it was still alive. You know the sort of thing: backbone in the front of its body and all that...

That it ended up as a mere humanoid in a funny space-suit ... well, a bit of a come-down.

You were always going to be disappointed.

I hate it when somebody somewhere thinks it's a good idea to explain the hows and whys of something in a film.
Very few films stand up to scrutiny, but that's OK. I'm prepared to accept the premise no matter how unlikely (magic? NP. FTL travel NP. Beings with extraordinary powers? NP).
Just don't try to explain it - you can't.

Classic examples; The Matrix, first film was great, then they tried to explain it. Star Wars "The Force" - why even try? and so on and on.
The alien in Alien just is, why try to give it a back story?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

'The Lobster' (2015)

I've rated over 600 films on IMDb and this is my all-time worst and by a clear margin. I wish I could say it was "so bad that it's good" but I can't.

My next worst are;

Punch Drunk Love (2002)

House Of Last Things (2013)

Assassin (2015) straight to video - Danny Dyer say no more...

Barb Wire (1996)
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

These days, most filums are just a mode to portray various kinds of violence, horror and car chases, even if they are in space ships with ray guns. They're made for the lowest form of American, you see.

In watching them, even a decent Blighter can become infected with their stupid violence, goodguy-badguy, I-love-dollars dullardism and similar drooley-gobbed Yankishness. Best to avoid them and watch ancient repeats of Poirot or even The Vicar of Dibley, which are obvious flim-flam but nice British flim-flam, with extra cream and jam (and butter).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Jack Reacher....

He was one of the largest men she had ever seen outside the NFL. He was extremely tall, and extremely broad, and long-armed, and long-legged. The lawn chair was regular size, but it looked tiny under him. It was bent and crushed out of shape. His knuckles were nearly touching the ground. His neck was thick and his hands were the size of dinner plates.

6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest.[9][11] In Never Go Back, he is described as having "a six-pack like a cobbled city street, a chest like a suit of NFL armor, biceps like basketballs, and subcutaneous fat like a Kleenex tissue." In his youth, his physical appearance likened to that of a 'bulked-up greyhound'

... and then choose Tom Cruise!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I go to see a film a second time sometimes, then one might understand better

Beforehand I read reviews and background in the hope of understanding as much as possible
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Lobster - I beg to differ, the completely wacky but very scary dystopian concept makes it one of my favourites!

Now if you want a REALLY bad film try 'Point Break' - staring one of Hollywood's worst actors, including every cliche in the book and the most cringeworthy ending ever
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I mentioned Prometheus, but hard to think of another really bad film that I've actually watched, seeing as if it's really that bad I won't have gone to see it anyway, so I'll know nothing....

One film which, IIRC, Mrs P and I walked out of at the cinema, was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 2011 version with Gary Oldman). The gratuitous violence was just too much (in the book, and in the excellent TV series with Alec Guinness, there is relatively little physical violence). And it departed far too much from the plot of the book. The "Xmas party" scene with someone dressed up as Lenin-cum-Father-Christmas .... that was just too trite. I don't think that even le Carré's over-characterised hoods would disport themselves like that. Just silly...

No doubt others have a different opinion.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:I mentioned Prometheus, but hard to think of another really bad film that I've actually watched, seeing as if it's really that bad I won't have gone to see it anyway, so I'll know nothing....

One film which, IIRC, Mrs P and I walked out of at the cinema, was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 2011 version with Gary Oldman). The gratuitous violence was just too much (in the book, and in the excellent TV series with Alec Guinness, there is relatively little physical violence). And it departed far too much from the plot of the book. The "Xmas party" scene with someone dressed up as Lenin-cum-Father-Christmas .... that was just too trite. I don't think that even le Carré's over-characterised hoods would disport themselves like that. Just silly...

No doubt others have a different opinion.

I dont think Prometheus was a totally bad film just I am sure they could have invented a better concept - there was no need to see it as a biological weapon to wipe out humans - since the ending will never be followed up with the woman going to find them to ask why make us then change their mind?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was slated as a bad film for silly reasons eg the Save Martha plea or Lois throwing the kryptonite spear into the pool of water - The whole idea of batman with that cave that no one knows about ( who built it? and that old codger who maintains it :roll: ) is a bigger target that is passed over. They chose the wrong guy to play Batman, needed some one who could act ( that means not Ben Affleck?)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was slated as a bad film for silly reasons eg the Save Martha plea or Lois throwing the kryptonite spear into the pool of water - The whole idea of batman with that cave that no one knows about ( who built it? and that old codger who maintains it :roll: ) is a bigger target that is passed over. They chose the wrong guy to play Batman, needed some one who could act ( that means not Ben Affleck?)

I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Batman vs Superman was done really well some years ago in one of the comics (can't remember which one) and given the travesty of the film version of Superman where he's so stupidly powerful he'd be undefeatable I figured the film of it would be crap beyond belief.
peetee

Post by peetee »

As a child I was (when I could get hold of them) an avid reader of Marvel comics so was really happy when advancements in CGI meant that Hollywood could pay realistic homage to the brand and to DC. In recent years however, despite there being plenty of worthy plots and characters to explore the whole concept has become tired and corny as filmmakers have concentrated on ever more complex and showy action scenes and attempted to offset the juxtaposition of realistic violence and imaginary storytelling with crass one-liners and flippant humour. Deadpool was a concept in extraordinary poor taste and Venom a dull, pointless, drawn-out confusing mess of ill cast actors and dreadful script. I gave up, tried again then gave up for good after half the movie.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

GITSAC ... Or Ghost in the Shell .... was excellent and a precursor to many more in the series .... but seems to have stalled ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

My worst ending is the Spielberg version of War of the Worlds. In the book and 50’s version, man was totally defeated and the Martians only died because they had no immunity to germs. In the Spielberg version the aliens were indeed affected by germs but for some reason Spielberg felt it necessary for the staggering tripod to be brought down by a missile from some marines. It kind of spoils the point made at the end of the story and was presumably inserted so that dumb red necks in the audience could have their fist pumping moment.