The Smartphone Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:well I have now had my first smartphone for 2 months and I like it: Living in London there are 2 apps that are proving very useful - a) a bus app that shows the bus stops on a map and the buses ( numbers) due - as displayed by the screens at bus stops b) a train time table app for any station that shows departures and arrivals times and platforms. I do notice though that the ones that people zombie with on the buses or trains are very thin compared to mine ( not really worried ). So the question is how reliable are these esp these ultra thin ones. So an informal poll how long your have lasted and why it failed.

My current phone is two years old and working well, my old phone is 4 years old and that still works well too (despite Ms Kwackers having it).
In work there are dozens of assorted ones and I'm not aware of any failing.

Usually if you charge them regularly, don't run them beyond flat, don't flush them down the loo or drop them onto something hard then they seem pretty reliable.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what are owners attitudes to updates here? Window phone 8.1 stopped getting updates a year or so ago and Windows 10 phone the end of this year.

It seems Android phone owners have nothing to crow about as even a Google phone will have 3 or possible 4 years of support and non Google phones where the updates have to come from the phone maker or carrier maybe only 2 or even less if a budget phone ( I read ).

So how many people here are using phones that dont get updates any more? And what phone?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:what are owners attitudes to updates here? Window phone 8.1 stopped getting updates a year or so ago and Windows 10 phone the end of this year.

It seems Android phone owners have nothing to crow about as even a Google phone will have 3 or possible 4 years of support and non Google phones where the updates have to come from the phone maker or carrier maybe only 2 or even less if a budget phone ( I read ).

So how many people here are using phones that dont get updates any more? And what phone?

I don't think 'no update' is so much of a problem when you can still get the same functionality from a phone. In real terms I don't think it's relevant anyway as most phones now have internal non removable batteries which, if you charge it every day have a good operating lifespan of about 4-500 cycles. A year and a half, two if you're lucky. After that battery performance, and usefulness drops off quite dramatically.
Last edited by Canuk on 24 Jan 2019, 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've an Iphone 5C which I bought almost four years ago to the day. Except for the odd time when I forgot, I've recharged it overnight every night since I bought it. I don't hammer it either literally or in the sense of using it extensively, nor have I laundered it. I've not noticed any reduction in any sort of performance.

Although I like to think I'm not superstitious, I don't like tempting fate so I'm touching wood (metaphorically, that is :wink: )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:
mercalia wrote:what are owners attitudes to updates here? Window phone 8.1 stopped getting updates a year or so ago and Windows 10 phone the end of this year.

I don't think 'no update' is so much of a problem when you can still get the same functionality from a phone. In real terms I don't think it's relevant anyway as most phones now have internal non removable batteries which, if you charge it every day have a good operating lifespan of about 4-500 cycles. A year and a half if you're lucky. After that battery performance, and usefulness drops off quite dramatically.

Thats very depressing and why I bought my obsolete Windows phones as the battery can be replaced. So I will get a few batteries and put in cold storage.

I was listening to a podcast called Windows Weekly and Paul Thurrot was complaining about how people would deluge him with email telling him they intended to stay with Windows phone, making him feel quilty as he had in the past recommended Windows phone and had earnt a comfortable living from writing about them. Was quite disparaging about them comparing Windows phone diehards as like those who went to Comic-Con wearing a teeshirt with a Super Hero on it
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Jan 2019, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Beware of fake batteries sold on the Internet. By fake, I mean they are branded and might state the original charge capacity of say 3000mah, but on inspection are probably half that (Samsung especially so). The only option is to pay through the nose for brand new original batteries from the manufacturer, which probably cost the same as a new phone.

They get you one way or t'other!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think if you only get a year and a half or two years out of a phone battery you're doing something wrong (or buying naff phones).
I charge mine daily, it's well used and typically I expect (and get) 4-5 years.

As I mentioned Ms Kwackers has my old phone, I'd had it two years, she's had it another two and it still holds a charge and runs for something like the right amount of time when used.
That was a HTC M8, current one is a Samsung S7.

(And I've just bought a OnePlus 6T for her birthday - thought I'd give the Chinese a try plus I get to re-purpose the HTC as a home automation controller).

Be interesting to see how long the battery on the OnePlus lasts.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I came across this article describing the deplorable state of unupdated phones in the Android world

https://www.wired.com/story/android-phones-hide-missed-security-updates-from-you/
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I too am new to smart phones.
Did a bit of homework ha ha, went for a iPhone SE. This model takes the latest software with updates, and has the processing power of later bigger more expensive models.
150 green ones off EBay New :)

Compare to a desktop it’s much faster accessing websites et cetera.
Except when you have to do things like editing.
In the past I scorn people glued to their phones, Instant updates on delivery of junk I am buying or amusing myself wasting time outside the Changing room in Matalan :)

Text dictated by speech.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mercalia wrote:I came across this article describing the deplorable state of unupdated phones in the Android world

https://www.wired.com/story/android-phones-hide-missed-security-updates-from-you/

Hah! My Motorola Moto G 3:

Android version: 6.0.1
Security patch level: 1 April 2017

System updates says "Your device's software is up to date". Does not add "April Fool!"
Have we got time for another cuppa?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Did a bit of homework ha ha,

What's wrong with a "gut feeling"?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

For people with Freedom Passes who use the buses there is an app ( on Windows Phone and probably Android ) called Next Bus Uk Live

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/next-bus-uk-live/9nblggh0dfpj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

This plots the bus stops and gives the time tables times from all around the UK!

It pulls in the data from either TFL or Traveline.

georgew

Post by georgew »

kwackers wrote:I think if you only get a year and a half or two years out of a phone battery you're doing something wrong (or buying naff phones).
I charge mine daily, it's well used and typically I expect (and get) 4-5 years.

As I mentioned Ms Kwackers has my old phone, I'd had it two years, she's had it another two and it still holds a charge and runs for something like the right amount of time when used.
That was a HTC M8, current one is a Samsung S7.

(And I've just bought a OnePlus 6T for her birthday - thought I'd give the Chinese a try plus I get to re-purpose the HTC as a home automation controller).

Be interesting to see how long the battery on the OnePlus lasts.

If it's anything like the OnePlus 5 it should be fine. I'm impressed with mine having had an HTC and several Samsung ones and a charge lasts over three days.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Android Phones with os 7 and later ( ie quite recent) have a serious exploitable bug from displaying .png image files ie just viewing a picture ( in a webpage say) which allows taking over the phone, The flaw has just been patched with a February 2019 patch. SO if your Android phone is no longer getting patches then you are very vulnerable in the way described.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah just the phone?

A new Energizer phone promises its battery will last up to 50 days on one charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47387390