The Smartphone Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by mercalia »

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GREASEY SMARTPHONE SCREENS.

I see you can buy capacitive touch screen pen stylus for smartphones? are they any good?
Cunobelin

Re: so I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by Cunobelin »

Canuk wrote:So much for your tin foil hat...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 83416.html

Here's how GCHQ can turn your nice shiny new phone on and off (Android/Apple or Windows OS), even when in 'airplane' mode (yeah they can turn that on and off too). And how they can turn on your microphone, front and rear cameras and record it all at will. They can even track you within better than GPS accuracy (which is about 10m) finding your position relative to the nearest mobile mast within 1 metre. The first time you put a SIm card in your new phone that's it, you're made.

They can even find your phone when it's switched off, with no sim card inserted and according to the esteemed Mr. Snowden, even when the battery is taken out. (that's how they caught one of the 7/7 bombers, when he fled to Italy). They just power up the local microwave tower and go search your IMIE. There is no such thing as 'offline'. Your smart phone is always connected to the nearest mobile mast.

Anyone who thinks anything about a smart phone is safe and secure is bonkers. They were custom built as discrete surveillance tools. I can even post a video of fingerprint and face unlock being broken by a nice Russian hacker in under 40 seconds. It's estimated that at any one time there are 1500 GCHQ hackers offensively and defensively monitoring and recording UK wide electronic communications. 24/7... Each one of these can grab and track (with the aid of very sophisticated AI) 1000+ targets per day. I could post it. But I wouldn't want to blow your fancy metallic head gear off :wink:

Want to be safe and secure? Buy yourself one of these :a Nokia 3210.

I need a second phone ( I keep personal and work separate) and have just bough an updated Nokia 8110. Does maps, email and the real basics

Doesn't do Facebook, but does Twitter (needed for work)

Weirdest things though are;

Nothing happens when ou touch the screen
The input id from the phone buttons (multiple press)

I suspect that I will get used to it though
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I AM SICK AND TIRED OF GREASEY SMARTPHONE SCREENS.

I see you can buy capacitive touch screen pen stylus for smartphones? are they any good?

Quick rub on your jeans, problem sorted.

I only ever notice my screen is grubby once every blue moon. In comparison having to dig out and use a stylus every time would drive me bonkers.

You can always use voice, I must admit for a lot of 'common' stuff I use it because it's a lot faster to say "hello google, navigate to SW1A 2AA" or "hello google, send message to Delilah. On my way have the bed warm" than it is to find and run the app and then navigate through to the relevant bit along with all the typing.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:

I only ever notice my screen is grubby once every blue moon. In comparison having to dig out and use a stylus every time would drive me bonkers.

You can always use voice, I must admit for a lot of 'common' stuff I use it because it's a lot faster to say "hello google, navigate to SW1A 2AA" or "hello google, send message to Delilah. On my way have the bed warm" than it is to find and run the app and then navigate through to the relevant bit along with all the typing.

Many of the first "PDAs" as they were known where stylus operated and it was a pain.

I started with a Jornada:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cunobelin wrote:I started with a Jornada:

Posh!

My first organiser was a Psion 2, than a 3 and then a 5 (the 5 had a stylus).
Then I moved over to an iPAQ (still B&W) and migrated through various iterations finishing with a colour 6600 (or something like that).
The stylus was always a PITA.

I still have all the above organisers in a box in the attic - along with spare styli...
Spares where a necessity although a pen would do when desperate.

I think the Samsung Note smartphones have stylus although their use is optional.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Many of the first "PDAs" as they were known where stylus operated and it was a pain.

I started with a Jornada:

I still have a few pocket pcs that use a stylus and apart from their relative slowness work just fine with mapping and have one virtue the brighter the sunlight is the brighter the display as they have transreflective screens like the original Kindles. I still want to get a styus for my smartphone - it seems any large based metal object will do eg the negative base of an AAA battery..
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... and of course Apple do NOT use a stylus, it is a Pencil
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote: I need a second phone ( I keep personal and work separate) and have just bough an updated Nokia 8110. Does maps, email and the real basics.

I'm impressed! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-8110-4G- ... 5Q5QM?th=1
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote: I need a second phone ( I keep personal and work separate) and have just bough an updated Nokia 8110. Does maps, email and the real basics.

I'm not. I got 3 mint 2nd hand windows 8.1 phones for that
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:

......... but it's Windows.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote:
......... but it's Windows.

have you ever used a Windows 8.1 phone? it is surprizingly good, reliable & very easy to use and works well, even my budget one. One of the things they got right. ( The windows 8.1 phone section in Microsoft were not the same as those who made the desk top os - this windows 10 pc desk top fiasco) Really sad that it failed, is equivalent to the Betamax situation?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
Sounds good then. :D

I imagined a desktop Windows thing.
Why did they call their phone a Windows phone when they have a computer running Windows?

Apple have Macs and iPhones. They don't call their phone a Mac Phone.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Ok.
Sounds good then. :D

I imagined a desktop Windows thing.
Why did they call their phone a Windows phone when they have a computer running Windows?

Apple have Macs and iPhones. They don't call their phone a Mac Phone.

What else would you call it?

People expect Apple devices to work together. They understand Google works on any device but a "Microsoft Phone"? Few would expect such a phone to work with Windows whereas calling it a "Windows Phone" tells you exactly that.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I think they probably call it a Windows phone because when it isnt misbehaving you cant use it because its continuously downloading updates! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Once upon a time Microsoft had a Grande Strategy of One Windows to Rule Them ALL Desktop-phone-tablet-xbox that looked the same what ever device you used. I understand though that the desk top division didnt really cooperate with the Wndows phone ( 8.1 ) division just ransacked them ( well they where the DESK TOP people that had brought us XP and Windows 7 :roll: ) didnt learn from the cleverness behind Windows 8.1 phone & subsequently inflicted on us Windows desktop 8 then 10.They also had.have a chip on their shoulder when they see that Apple who once upon a time nearly went bankrupt now is worth more than them & make innovative products, and they feel the need to look as if they doing some thing innovative also, hence all these Windows 10 updates that they give fancy names to like "Creators Update" with features that no one wants that just mess up their pcs