The Smartphone Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

The Smartphone Thread

Post by mercalia »

how do you keep it from getting greasy from fingers. I cant be the only one that seems to ooze finger grease. I am at the moment trying some thin cotton gloves seem to work after a fashion
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Mar 2020, 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: so I just got my first smartphone but ...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Welcome to the club.
A folding leather / looking book cover can come with a screen protector too for a fiver, stops it dropping out of your hands for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

its the screen getting greasey thats my problem. not dropping it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You will drop it for sure, anyway I too have sweaty hands, the thin plastic screen protector will safe the screen from scratches if nothing else.
What are you doing baking a cake :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Bin it. GCHQ are spying on you already (as soon as you put a simcard in it) and Google are absolutely tracking your every move (even if you have opted out of 'save my history and location data'.) Makes no difference.

Install Duckduckgo as your new search engine (they destroy every search and cookie as soon as they are made) and uninstall Google from your 'apps' settings.

And Facebook... Forget about it, you might as well leave your front door open and give them the combination to your home safe while you're at it.

Because they are. At it.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The problem can be avoided thusly:

Take the instrument to your shed and put it on the bench.
Go to the rack wherein resides the lump hammer and remove it, perhaps gleefully.
Take the wee hammer to the bench and apply it, with vigour and vim, to the prattle-machine, until it disintegrates.
Sweep the bits under the bench where they will be further crushed by your footfalls of the next year.
If you need the services of such a prattle box, get the ladywife to do it for you on hers. She will have nice clean fingers.

Alternatively, don't use it as you eat fish & chips or one of them fried-grease-in-a-polystyrene-bun things.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Canuk wrote:Bin it. GCHQ are spying on you already (as soon as you put a simcard in it) and Google are absolutely tracking your every move (even if you have opted out of 'save my history and location data'.) Makes no difference.

Install Duckduckgo as your new search engine (they destroy every search and cookie as soon as they are made) and uninstall Google from your 'apps' settings.

And Facebook... Forget about it, you might as well leave your front door open and give them the combination to your home safe while you're at it.

Because they are. At it.

Apparently the "in thing" at the moment is the iPod touch

No SIM card, so not traceable, connects to WiFi only when needed and using the "Draft Folder technique" there are no emails for GCHQ to trace

Also if you use the Signal Appyou gain the functionality of a phone without the traceability
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:Bin it. GCHQ are spying on you already (as soon as you put a simcard in it) and Google are absolutely tracking your every move (even if you have opted out of 'save my history and location data'.) Makes no difference.

Because they are. At it.

not me I got a mint £19 Nokia 635 Windows 8.1 phone from Ebay so dont have to use Google anything. The phone and windows 8.1 on it are very nice. Comes with Bing maps that is like the Google version with the difference that can be downloaded for use offline ( eat your heart out Android users ). GCHQ might only be tracking me if I have it switched on all the time - I dont. I dont know if you can do this on Android but in Airplane mode it is possible to manually selectively switch eg wifi back on so turning off the sim ie use the device like the ipad touch mentioned above.

no one yet mentioned any ideas what to do with normal non fish and chip non sweaty fingers, just normal greasy finger marks.
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Nov 2018, 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:

Because they are. At it.

not me I got a mint £19 Nokia 635 Windows 8.1 phone from Ebay so dont have to use Google anything. The phone and windows 8.1 on it are very nice. Comes with Bing maps that is like the Google version with the difference that can be downloaded for use offline ( eat your heart out Android users ). GCHQ might only be tracking me if I have it switched on all the time - I dont. I dont know if you can do this on Android but in Airplane mode it is possible to manually selectively switch eg wifi back on so turning off the sim ie use the device like the ipad touch mentioned above.

Google maps can be downloaded for offline use in Android
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Because they are. At it.

Google maps can be downloaded for offline use in Android

I thought only bits at a time?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Because they are. At it.

Oh and don't forget your

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:

Because they are. At it.

Oh and don't forget your

Now you have done it!

This thread will be relegated to.... you know where
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

So much for your tin foil hat...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 83416.html

Here's how GCHQ can turn your nice shiny new phone on and off (Android/Apple or Windows OS), even when in 'airplane' mode (yeah they can turn that on and off too). And how they can turn on your microphone, front and rear cameras and record it all at will. They can even track you within better than GPS accuracy (which is about 10m) finding your position relative to the nearest mobile mast within 1 metre. The first time you put a SIm card in your new phone that's it, you're made.

They can even find your phone when it's switched off, with no sim card inserted and according to the esteemed Mr. Snowden, even when the battery is taken out. (that's how they caught one of the 7/7 bombers, when he fled to Italy). They just power up the local microwave tower and go search your IMIE. There is no such thing as 'offline'. Your smart phone is always connected to the nearest mobile mast.

Anyone who thinks anything about a smart phone is safe and secure is bonkers. They were custom built as discrete surveillance tools. I can even post a video of fingerprint and face unlock being broken by a nice Russian hacker in under 40 seconds. It's estimated that at any one time there are 1500 GCHQ hackers offensively and defensively monitoring and recording UK wide electronic communications. 24/7... Each one of these can grab and track (with the aid of very sophisticated AI) 1000+ targets per day. I could post it. But I wouldn't want to blow your fancy metallic head gear off :wink:

Want to be safe and secure? Buy yourself one of these :a Nokia 3210.
Attachments
600x540_ac.jpg
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

mercalia wrote:how do you keep it from getting greasy from fingers. I cant be the only one that seems to ooze finger grease. I am at the moment trying some thin cotton gloves seem to work after a fashion

If you can get one that fits, try a"fitBAG" phone case. The microfibre lining does a great job of keeping your phone pristine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Because they are. At it.

Oh and don't forget your

Now you have done it!

This thread will be relegated to.... you know where

Yep - and that'll make the cat look even more unhappy....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker