The Smartphone Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 27 Feb 2019, 2:57pm

mercalia wrote:ah just the phone?

A new Energizer phone promises its battery will last up to 50 days on one charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47387390

If I strapped a car battery to my phone I reckon it'd last twice that.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 27 Feb 2019, 5:01pm

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:ah just the phone?

A new Energizer phone promises its battery will last up to 50 days on one charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47387390

If I strapped a car battery to my phone I reckon it'd last twice that.


I thought some one mught suggest attaching a powerbank to the underside thru the micro usb port?

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 27 Feb 2019, 5:07pm

mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:ah just the phone?

A new Energizer phone promises its battery will last up to 50 days on one charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47387390

If I strapped a car battery to my phone I reckon it'd last twice that.


I thought some one mught suggest attaching a powerbank to the underside thru the micro usb port?

Where's the ludicrosity in that idea?

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 27 Feb 2019, 6:26pm

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:If I strapped a car battery to my phone I reckon it'd last twice that.


I thought some one mught suggest attaching a powerbank to the underside thru the micro usb port?

Where's the ludicrosity in that idea?


who said it was ludicrous? I do that to my ancient pocket pc as the batteries are now a bit dull and the device is better for maps in bright sunight than any modern equivalent such as a smartphone.

its a shame that smartphones dont have a tougher connection than the silly fragile usb thing

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 27 Feb 2019, 8:48pm

mercalia wrote:who said it was ludicrous? I do that to my ancient pocket pc as the batteries are now a bit dull and the device is better for maps in bright sunight than any modern equivalent such as a smartphone.

its a shame that smartphones dont have a tougher connection than the silly fragile usb thing

Of course it's ludicrous - did you see the pic of the guy with it in his pocket? If that's not daft nothing is.

If you really want to use a powerbank with a robust connection - knock up a wireless charger.
You'll need a newer smartphone and a bit of electronics added to the powerbank, couple of sticky velcro pads and jobs a good un.
(Wireless isn't the most efficient so might want a bigger powerbank than you thought).

Given you're effectively carrying a powerbank and phone I'm not sure what problem the phone is fixing over carrying a separate powerbank and plugging it in every now and again.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 28 Feb 2019, 11:53am

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:who said it was ludicrous? I do that to my ancient pocket pc as the batteries are now a bit dull and the device is better for maps in bright sunight than any modern equivalent such as a smartphone.

its a shame that smartphones dont have a tougher connection than the silly fragile usb thing

Of course it's ludicrous - did you see the pic of the guy with it in his pocket? If that's not daft nothing is.

If you really want to use a powerbank with a robust connection - knock up a wireless charger.
You'll need a newer smartphone and a bit of electronics added to the powerbank, couple of sticky velcro pads and jobs a good un.
(Wireless isn't the most efficient so might want a bigger powerbank than you thought).

Given you're effectively carrying a powerbank and phone I'm not sure what problem the phone is fixing over carrying a separate powerbank and plugging it in every now and again.


well presumably the internal battery isnt being used ( or is it then just charged up again second by second?)

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 28 Feb 2019, 12:56pm

mercalia wrote:well presumably the internal battery isnt being used ( or is it then just charged up again second by second?)

If you hook a power bank up (either wireless or wired) then the internal battery will charge and the phone will run from the power bank - same as if your phone is plugged in.

After a bit, unplug it and use it for a day or two before plugging it in for another go.

Handy things powerbanks, you can use them for pretty much anything these days.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 1 Mar 2019, 2:19pm

I mentioned these small capacitive sytlus some time back

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-MINI-Uni ... 2749.l2649

10 for a £2


they have a cord and poker that will insert into a headphone socket so you dont lose it

after using them I cant see what any one would want to use their dirty fingers any more. much more precise and leave the screen clean of grease

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2019, 2:54pm

web url icons on the start screen on Android

I heard a comment about the latest Android smartphone to the effect you can attach a web url now to the start screen: the commentator didnt know what that was. This surprised me as Windows Phone has been able to do that for some time since atleast 2015 and windows phone 8.1

eg BBC News

Is it true that you can only now attach an icon of a particular web page to the start screen?

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 2 Apr 2019, 4:00pm

mercalia wrote:after using them I cant see what any one would want to use their dirty fingers any more. much more precise and leave the screen clean of grease

For some reason this popped into my head this morning whilst I was using my phone - with my gloves on.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2019, 7:49pm

well an example load any page from this forum into your browser on your mobile and select any of the miniture page tabs numbers with your finger esp with gloves on? I can just about do it with with those styli

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 2 Apr 2019, 8:24pm

mercalia wrote:well an example load any page from this forum into your browser on your mobile and select any of the miniture page tabs numbers with your finger esp with gloves on? I can just about do it with with those styli

I can't be bothered going and getting my gloves to try - I'll give it a go in the morning.
I can type messages quite easily with my gloves on though.
Probably wouldn't use them if I wanted to sketch something but as far as I can tell the actual contact point is just a centre weighted average of the part of screen my finger covers.

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2019, 8:45pm

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:well an example load any page from this forum into your browser on your mobile and select any of the miniture page tabs numbers with your finger esp with gloves on? I can just about do it with with those styli

I can't be bothered going and getting my gloves to try - I'll give it a go in the morning.
I can type messages quite easily with my gloves on though.
Probably wouldn't use them if I wanted to sketch something but as far as I can tell the actual contact point is just a centre weighted average of the part of screen my finger covers.


what size phone have you? one of those monster ones? well what gloves have you got? i am surprised they work at all. I bought some cotton jewelers gloves off ebay, very thin ones and they work passably but not as good as those small stylii.

kwackers
Posts: 14745
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby kwackers » 2 Apr 2019, 9:00pm

mercalia wrote:what size phone have you? one of those monster ones? well what gloves have you got? i am surprised they work at all. I bought some cotton jewelers gloves off ebay, very thin ones and they work passably but not as good as those small stylii.

OK, I relented.

It's a Samsung S7 (the one with the curved screen) which has a 5.1 inch screen apparently so not the smallest but hardly a phablet either.

Gloves I'm not too sure, it says Shimano on the index finger and near the palm it says 'poron rd' - no idea if that's the type or the "filling".
The index finger has a special bit indicated by a 'power' button style icon which allows it to work with a phone.

Tried it with the chrome browser and could navigate the BBC website fairly easily, use the little tabs on it etc.

I wouldn't suggest the gloves were in any way an improvement on ones finger but good enough so I wouldn't (and don't) bother taking them off.

Finger print reader doesn't work (haven't tried 'training' it with the gloves though) ;).

mercalia
Posts: 14005
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I just got my first smartphone but ...

Postby mercalia » 2 Apr 2019, 10:08pm

ah special gloves