Double edge Safety razor

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NUKe

Double edge Safety razor

Post by NUKe »

In an effort to reduce plastic, I decided to buy a double edge safety razor. So when it was my birthday a week ago and the wife wanted to know what to get. I asked her for a shaving brush and soap and then went out and bought a safety razor.
It took a while to find a DE razor, no one in Felixstowe sold one and the one we found in Ipswich wasn’t worth it, just cheap and nasty, so turned to the internet. They are more popular on line. Found a firm not too far away selling them, and the razor I chose was made in Sheffield. Also realised there is a whole sub culture based around these razors.
I have never owned a safety razor before, I was bought an electric razor for my 15th birthday and didn’t start wet shaving until Bic had launched their disposables. So it was with some in trepidation that I went for the first shave. Needn’t have worried easy to use, no nicks, and most important for me no razor burn, I seem to get with the multi-bladed disposables. Which also seem to clog up with dead skin and soap, so become single bladed very quickly. Prices for the blades are very reasonable.
There is a whole world of different razors and blades out there.
Anyone else either still use a Safety razor or like me has taken it up recently?
NUKe

Re: Double edge Safety razor

Post by cyclemad »

I binned my electric razor after many years - fed up with it being blunt / clogging up etc and moved to wet shaves permanently. I have tried the cheap ones - ouch / blood loss and the expensive ones and I have found that you get what you pay for.

The Gillete sensitive ones ( green ) are really good as a shave is required daily...Other wise the Gillete 3 blade ( blue ones ) are ok...

For other cyclist related areas...legs ...I use a ladies Venus blade/razor....I tend to find the mens razors cut the skin too much and leave me looking like I have been mawled by some mad feline.

Plenty of soothing gel on both face and legs makes for. good pain free shave.Another tip is to place a hot towel / face cloth on your face prior to shaving was it softens both skin and hairs and makes for a closer shave... Then after splash with Cold water as this closes up the pores...

I hope to start my laser hair removal after xmas and have are also considering an IPL ( LASER ) as I HATE shaving...

:D
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I changed to a traditional safety razor two years ago. Very happy that I’m no longer producing so much waste as well as no longer getting ripped off by the major manufacturers. It always amazed me that for the price of the latest Gillette razor and a few packs of blades, it would be possible to buy a really crappy full suspension mountain bike. I’ve also dumped tins of foam and use a badger hair brush and traditional soap.

This is the razor I bought:

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/me ... 11133.html
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

https://connaughtshaving.com/del89li14.html
Is the one I bought,
The price of blades is pleasant suprise as well if you consider a blade last about 6 days you can buy a couple of years worth for £10 for 100.
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's the classic all-rounder. I use Feather blades with it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I got annoyed at the price of multi bladed throwaway shavers around 10 years ago.
Bought a quality safety razor and blades and must have saved a fortune over the years. I’ve settled into Proraso tubes of cream off EBay and the rest of my purchases from https://shavelounge.co.uk/ where I’ve had great service and excellent choices in blades.
Someone mentioned 6 days. I Turn the blade over and get even more days. 14 being my record. That must have been a good un
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a long time since I used traditional razor blades and I'm surprised they seem to have become hard-to-find items. I suppose the reprise of Reggie Perrin with Martin Clunes as the razor creating exec ought to have been a clue. One trick for extending blade life is said to be honing them on the curved inside of a straight glass tumbler. I believe that that was common during wartime shortages.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I’ve recently moved back to disposable cartridges, after being on DE safety razors for a few years. I was sick of having the blades taken off me at airports.

I’ve sold my DE razors on eBay. I had two Murkur razors and couldn’t believe how much people paid for them.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In an effort to reduce plastic, I decided to buy a double edge safety razor. So when it was my birthday a week ago and the wife wanted to know what to get. I asked her for a shaving brush and soap and then went o

For my birthday in September - the last before I reach my three score and ten - I received the same from my wife for the Sam reasons. I used the Traditional Shaving Company. Blades and shavers are unobtainable locally so I bought 10 packs of blades.

I am delighted with my purchase.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I gave up shaving many years ago, never did it regularly, just trim my greying beard occasionally
Saw some articles about beard care, apparently one should get it trimmed regularly and oil it oneself every day, what rubb€sh
Anyone care to explain why they shave? How much cycling/sleeping time does one spend shaving in a whole lifetime? And how much does it cost?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone care to explain why they shave? How much cycling/sleeping time does one spend shaving in a whole lifetime? And how much does it cost?

I get too much unwanted male attention if I don't shave.

But in terms of time I use an electric razor and the big win of them for me is the ability to take a dump and have a shave at the same time thereby costing no time at all.
Total cost up to now is the price of three moderately priced electric razors (I never buy spares for them). So call it £200 or so?

Now if I can figure out how to also have a shower then I can parallel task the three sh's.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone care to explain why they shave? How much cycling/sleeping time does one spend shaving in a whole lifetime? And how much does it cost?

I get too much unwanted male attention if I don't shave.

But in terms of time I use an electric razor and the big win of them for me is the ability to take a dump and have a shave at the same time thereby costing no time at all.
Total cost up to now is the price of three moderately priced electric razors (I never buy spares for them). So call it £200 or so?

Now if I can figure out how to also have a shower then I can parallel task the three sh's.

Unwanted male attention? How may I get wanted female attention?
I save more time than you, I read these fora while dumping :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Unwanted male attention? How may I get wanted female attention?
I save more time than you, I read these fora while dumping :wink:

Getting rid of the beard works for me - at least with regards my own missus...
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I gave up shaving many years ago, never did it regularly, just trim my greying beard occasionally
Saw some articles about beard care, apparently one should get it trimmed regularly and oil it oneself every day, what rubb€sh
Anyone care to explain why they shave? How much cycling/sleeping time does one spend shaving in a whole lifetime? And how much does it cost?

Will WD40 or Muc-off do, or do I need a propriety lubricant? :wink:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Since my posting above, the postie has delivered a couple of magazines (Caravan & Motorhome Club and Cycling UK).
Two fliers dropped out of one (I'm not sure which as I cut both plastic bags open at the same time :roll: )
and were for new-fangled razors, one for a company called Harry's and another called gruum (with an umlaut over the first u).

It seems that men's shaving and grooming has become one of the hit topics of the day.
As a goatee man in the summer months and full beard for winter plumage,
I'd like to know which club doesn't approve of me being too hirsute.
Can I safely drive my motorhome hairy or ride my bike unaerodynamic.

As an aside... my Dad died when I was only 18 months old and I've obviously have no memory of him.
It was when I was around 15 that my Mum gave me a couple of his possessions:
his old cricket bat, a lovely calf-skin leather wallet and his safety razor.
I still have the first two but sadly can't remember what happened to the razor :(
fausto.