Elastic band - how does this work?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Elastic band - how does this work?

Post by Vorpal »

Most foods in jars are either put in hot, or they are vacuum sealed as part of the process. When food is put in hot, it contracts with cooling, which has a similar, but lesser effect to evacuation in vacuum sealing.

This will also be working against us when opening. In that case, I would argue that any deformation will work to help, because it may break the seal.

FWIW, I have used a table knife under the edge of the lid. That can deform it just enough to break the seal, without harming the jar or making the lid unusable. I think it works better than a screw driver, and it's more likely to fit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:FWIW, I have used a table knife under the edge of the lid. That can deform it just enough to break the seal, without harming the jar or making the lid unusable. I think it works better than a screw driver, and it's more likely to fit.

Table knives are also often not strong in the right way to make good levers, plus damaging one knife of a set will be a lot more annoying than trashing a screwdriver head. I'll keep on turning the screw!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:On disposable jars, a straight screwdriver under the edge of the lid in one or two places and turned a little to release the seal is often all that's needed. Don't be tempted to try using it to lever the lid off - many screwdrivers do not have enough strength in that way and will snap in two, possibly lobbing sharp ends of metal around.

What quality of screwdrivers do you buy if that happens to them?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:Most foods in jars are either put in hot, or they are vacuum sealed as part of the process. When food is put in hot, it contracts with cooling, which has a similar, but lesser effect to evacuation in vacuum sealing.

This will also be working against us when opening. In that case, I would argue that any deformation will work to help, because it may break the seal.

FWIW, I have used a table knife under the edge of the lid. That can deform it just enough to break the seal, without harming the jar or making the lid unusable. I think it works better than a screw driver, and it's more likely to fit.

Plus you're likely to have one to hand in the kitchen.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:On disposable jars, a straight screwdriver under the edge of the lid in one or two places and turned a little to release the seal is often all that's needed. Don't be tempted to try using it to lever the lid off - many screwdrivers do not have enough strength in that way and will snap in two, possibly lobbing sharp ends of metal around.

They're fine as screwdrivers. Some branded, some not, a mixed bunch. Also, I've never been daft enough to do that myself and I've seen someone stab themselves that way.

How often do you abuse your screwdrivers if you know they work as crowbars?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:

They're fine as screwdrivers. Some branded, some not, a mixed bunch. Also, I've never been daft enough to do that myself and I've seen someone stab themselves that way.

How often do you abuse your screwdrivers if you know they work as crowbars?

A decent quality screwdriver won't have any problems levering the lid off a food jar. I've got a an old screwdriver I've been using as a"crowbar" for years with any problems.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:FWIW, I have used a table knife under the edge of the lid. That can deform it just enough to break the seal, without harming the jar or making the lid unusable. I think it works better than a screw driver, and it's more likely to fit.

Table knives are also often not strong in the right way to make good levers, plus damaging one knife of a set will be a lot more annoying than trashing a screwdriver head. I'll keep on turning the screw!

I don't use it as a lever. I use it as a thin wedge.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom