A girl, a boy and a bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby Patrickpioneer » 11 Dec 2018, 11:03am

I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRt1gZqg5ag

pete75
Posts: 11965
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby pete75 » 11 Dec 2018, 11:14am

Patrickpioneer wrote:I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRt1gZqg5ag


No it's a good film and quite charming. Must be new on youtube because I couldn't find it there a couple of years ago so bought the DVD.

mercalia
Posts: 11641
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby mercalia » 11 Dec 2018, 12:26pm

on the matter of Utube videos


User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby Patrickpioneer » 11 Dec 2018, 3:37pm

No it's a good film and quite charming. Must be new on youtube because I couldn't find it there a couple of years ago so bought the DVD.[/quote]

Charming, yes that's the word and a good record of the period, not just for cycling but housing, deserters and the class system, illegal betting, not much they did leave out.
A charming jolly good film
pat

1066enthalpies1939
Posts: 42
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 10:33pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby 1066enthalpies1939 » 11 Dec 2018, 4:13pm

Patrickpioneer wrote:I don't like films, I'm a misery, but I found this link on another forum to an old film involving cycling and I enjoyed it, perhaps I am mellowing?
Pat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRt1gZqg5ag


Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby Patrickpioneer » 11 Dec 2018, 4:20pm

if you have a look at the photos in this link, people have identified some of the places,
Pat
https://www.reelstreets.com/films/boy-a ... -a-bike-a/

merseymouth
Posts: 1129
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby merseymouth » 11 Dec 2018, 7:32pm

Hi all, Do you think it would help to get the title of the film correct?
It is "A Boy, a Girl and a Bike"! Patrick Holt, Honour Blackman, Diana Dors, Megs Jenkins, Leslie Dwyer, John McCallum, Maurice Denham, Anthony Newley et al. Great film. TTFN MM

mercalia
Posts: 11641
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby mercalia » 12 Dec 2018, 8:04am

well I watched it well some of it, a film best forgotten. One thing I did seem to notice, did the handle bars have any tape on them? they seemed rather shiney. you notice many of the men were drawing on their fags? I find it hard to believe they could be any good on their bikes also?

Hobbs1951
Posts: 407
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby Hobbs1951 » 12 Dec 2018, 8:32am

1066enthalpies1939 wrote:Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?


The Yorkshire Dales, suggest Calderdale.

John.

N.B Love the soundtrack, a charming film thanks for sharing. Honor Blackman...stunning.
Last edited by Hobbs1951 on 12 Dec 2018, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.

freeflow
Posts: 1209
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 1:54pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby freeflow » 12 Dec 2018, 8:48am

I find old films like this fascinating. Not because of the plot but as an insight into what is different between now and then.

User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby cyclemad » 12 Dec 2018, 11:34pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:
1066enthalpies1939 wrote:Can anybody identify the locations used in this film?


The Yorkshire Dales, suggest Calderdale.

John.

N.B Love the soundtrack, a charming film thanks for sharing. Honor Blackman...stunning.


The opening scene is the road from Buckden village in Upper Wharfedale. At Buckden take a left towards Oughtershaw
( direction towards HAWES ) and through an area known as Deepdale. At the cattle grid at Low Raisgill Farm B and B the road descends with the river on the right towards the old pack horse bridge which forks right towards Yockenthwaite farm.

When you watch the film at the point where the Bentleyhas broken down you can now see the stone bridge. This is still there which now take you to a National Trust office, a Granola producer and Yockenthwaite Farm The road continue to Beckermonds Bridge and Yockenthwaite.

51'24'' at Kilnsey Crag.

52' 08'' at Linton in Craven - The Fountaine Hospital and Alms Houses

1hr 07.09 - at Barden Bridge nr Bolton Abbey

1hr 9.18 - At the top of Malham Cove.

1hr 14 . 45 - Skipton High Street.

1hr 19.39 - Gordale Nr Malham

1hr 22.49 - B6160. from Burnsall towards Bolton Abbey ( The Fell Road )

This is my neck of the woods :D :D :D

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 914
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby 100%JR » 13 Dec 2018, 7:58am

cyclemad wrote:The opening scene is the road from Buckden village in Upper Wharfedale. At Buckden take a left towards Oughtershaw
( direction towards HAWES ) and through an area known as Deepdale. At the cattle grid at Low Raisgill Farm B and B the road descends with the river on the right towards the old pack horse bridge which forks right towards Yockenthwaite farm.

When you watch the film at the point where the Bentleyhas broken down you can now see the stone bridge. This is still there which now take you to a National Trust office, a Granola producer and Yockenthwaite Farm The road continue to Beckermonds Bridge and Yockenthwaite.

51'24'' at Kilnsey Crag.

52' 08'' at Linton in Craven - The Fountaine Hospital and Alms Houses

1hr 07.09 - at Barden Bridge nr Bolton Abbey

1hr 9.18 - At the top of Malham Cove.

1hr 14 . 45 - Skipton High Street.

1hr 19.39 - Gordale Nr Malham

1hr 22.49 - B6160. from Burnsall towards Bolton Abbey ( The Fell Road )

This is my neck of the woods :D :D :D

Can't argue with that :)
I haven't watched the entire film but I need to get back up to the Dales.Haven't cycled there for a couple of years,the last time being Kings Dale,Chapel-Le-Dale,Dent Dale,Garsdale,Swale Dale.
My parents live just outside Hawes but since falling out 12 years ago I don't get up to the Dales as often as I used to :|
We spent many a good year Holidaying at Braida Garth Farm in Kingsdale throughout the 70/80s.I think riding around Kingsdale and Dentdale as a lad is why I still ride now.Happy days.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras.Brexit makes no sense!!.

User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby cyclemad » 13 Dec 2018, 10:51am

its good to see how much it hasn't changed .The Fountaine Pub in Linton In Linton In Craven is my local...The food and beer is fantastic.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 914
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby 100%JR » 13 Dec 2018, 12:16pm

cyclemad wrote:its good to see how much it hasn't changed .The Fountaine Pub in Linton In Linton In Craven is my local...The food and beer is fantastic.

We camped near there some years ago now.Wood nook?IIRC we visited the Fountaine.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Lynskey R480 build
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras.Brexit makes no sense!!.

User avatar
cyclemad
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 9:16pm

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Postby cyclemad » 13 Dec 2018, 5:21pm

wood nook is still open and still the same family who run it ...Elec hook ups even on etc tent pitches...Luxury under canvass. Its a great caravan and camp site ( statics for hire too ) :D