A girl, a boy and a bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: A girl, a boy and a bike

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:well I watched it well some of it, a film best forgotten. One thing I did seem to notice, did the handle bars have any tape on them? they seemed rather shiney. you notice many of the men were drawing on their fags? I find it hard to believe they could be any good on their bikes also?

Why not. Merckx smoked and he wasn't bad on a bike.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:well I watched it well some of it, a film best forgotten. One thing I did seem to notice, did the handle bars have any tape on them? they seemed rather shiney. you notice many of the men were drawing on their fags? I find it hard to believe they could be any good on their bikes also?

Why not. Merckx smoked and he wasn't bad on a bike.

If you look at some of the old TDF footage many riders smoked.Apparently they'd also pull over in a village en-route and sit and have a fag and a beer 8)
They used to smoke to "open up the lungs" :roll:

and not that long ago Cipollini
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It appears the great Gino Bartali smoked. Won the TDF by 18 minutes and KOM in 1938. Didn't ride it again until 1948 because of the war and politics. Won by 26 minutes and again KOM.

Eddy even advertised fags.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

And Jimmy Savile plays a brief role on the front of the 'peloton' in one of the cycle race scenes
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"