What NOT to give a cyclist for Xmas

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk

What NOT to give a cyclist for Xmas

Post by Canuk »

A full lycra skinsuit. I saw a chap in one yesterday, he looked like a sack of Brussel sprouts gone wrong. :lol:
Tangled Metal

Re: What NOT to give a cyclist for Xmas

Post by Tangled Metal »

How about one of those multi tools sold on the seasonal promotional stand of supermarkets. The ones shaped like a bike but apparently have all the tools you'll need on your bike. Along with a set of cheap puncture repair kit but it's got a picture of a bike on it so gotta be great right?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Canuk wrote:A full lycra skinsuit. I saw a chap in one yesterday, he looked like a sack of Brussel sprouts gone wrong. :lol:

A skinsuit with Christmas emblems plastered all over it, in the tradition of the Christmas jumper! These may not be a good present from the point of view of the recipient but, if that recipient can be persuaded to wear them, they are very good presents from the point of view of we observers. A bit like blokes with 70mm deep aero wheels and 5 gizmo on the handlebar. :-)

On the other hand, Christmas is a time of niceness and friendly halloos, so a guffawing point & mock seems inappropriate. Also, the landfill will bulge even more.

Cugel, now waiting for twelfth night when Consumer-mass will hopefully be over.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cugel wrote:Cugel, now waiting for twelfth night when Consumer-mass will hopefully be over.
+1
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The January sales! Don't they have them anymore? Consumerism is an all year thing.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:The January sales! Don't they have them anymore? Consumerism is an all year thing.

True. But, like the chickenpox virus that lurks at the back o' yer neck, conditions sometimes encourage a virulent excursion. With the pox virus there's a sore and ugly lip-sore. With the consumerism virus, there's a regular surge of extra [p0llution] into the environment and another half dozen species go extinct because Amazon had a sale and they needed more forest, not to mention the splurge of extra plastic-wrapping dump into the sea.

Cugel
Last edited by Graham on 18 Dec 2018, 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mild F.F.E.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Last year I was given an Endura cycling shirt advertising a distillery size XXXL. I can get it on but frightened to breath in in case it splits. Normally I go for 44” chest size which is XL or even L in some cases. Never dared wear it but as a gift cannot really get rid of it and doubt if I could change it for anything bigger from the same firm. Certainly cost far too much money as well.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Canuk wrote:A full lycra skinsuit. I saw a chap in one yesterday, he looked like a sack of Brussel sprouts gone wrong. :lol:

I want a bag of Brussels Sprouts gone right for Christmas
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Who was it who said "there will never be equality between the sexes until a woman can walk down the road with a beer gut and a bald head and still think she's dead sexy"?

There will always be lifes Peter Stringfellows....
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

iandriver wrote:Who was it who said "there will never be equality between the sexes until a woman can walk down the road with a beer gut and a bald head and still think she's dead sexy"?

There will always be lifes Peter Stringfellows....

Have you not been to The Bigg Market and other similar festivals of human degradation of a Saturday neet? There are many lasses of the aspect you describe, although it's often their eyebrows rather than their heeds that are baldy. That Viz comic portrayed their essence in the characters known as The Fat Slags. A cruel nomenclature but unfortunately accurate, as were their comical antics portrayed in that Beano for adults.

They can certainly strut their stuff; and do so quite vigorously. Yes indeed!

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
Cugel wrote:Cugel, now waiting for twelfth night when Consumer-mass will hopefully be over.
+1

Cugel gets a copy of 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' by Dylan Thomas :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies