Facebook? No thanks:Facebook's data-sharing deals exposed

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Facebook? No thanks:Facebook's data-sharing deals exposed

Post by mercalia »

seems like they are still up to their old tricks in sharing your data without your permssion
A list of companies who know about you are given
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46618582
I think a News Years Resolution is due - Stuff you Facebook
Get Behind me Facebook
100%JR

Re: Facebook? No thanks:Facebook's data-sharing deals exposed

Post by 100%JR »

Won't stop me of millions of others using FB :roll:
Bit of a non-issue AFAIC :roll:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I'll carry on using it as I have for months now - in a virtual machine with minimal other software. I don't mind using it as long as I get to choose what it gets from me.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi 100%JR, Watch out mate/Ms, with spelling mistakes, lapses and unintelligible acronyms you'll get told off.
As for Farcebook? (Deliberate mis-spelling) I will never go there even though certain members of my cycling club swear it's the Bee's Knees.
I know for sure that many of the criminal class love it, gives them notice of when so many properties will be unoccupied.
IGICB MM (The Uneducated)
softlips

Post by softlips »

I quite like it although I was a late adopter. I work away a hell of a lot and it keeps me in touch.

It amazed me how many people were against anonymised GP data being shared to assist others but are quite happy to post every minute detail of their day on FB.
hodge

Post by hodge »

merseymouth wrote:As for Farcebook?
I know for sure that many of the criminal class love it, gives them notice of when so many properties will be unoccupied.

Yep, I regularly see lots of info potentially open to abuse on facebook ride listings - names, pictures, meeting places, times and dates for the length of time away from home, often including gpx of the route which would indicate when furthest away.
Arguably worse for a leader as this suggests you're most likely to stick to the full route you're responsible for, rather than opting out for an early bath. Contact numbers for the leader also often listed. Useful updates of changes to plan may be posted.

All this open to access anytime, anywhere a signal exists.
Strava, google and old fashioned observation being further options to fill in details for addresses.