Do you drink too much?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How many units of alcohol do you drink a week?

Poll ended at 18 Jan 2019, 9:58pm

1. More than 42 units (18 pints of beer)
11%
2. 28-42 units (12-18 pints)
4%
3. 14-28 units (6-12 pints)
19%
4. 0-14 units (0-6 pints)
45%
5. Zero units
21%

Total votes: 53

Canuk

Do you drink too much?

Post by Canuk »

As Christmas rapidly approaches and the season of solid over indulgence is upon us I'm reminded of the demon drink, not so much the demon but how easy it is to underestimate one's consumption.

I did a little stocktaking during the summer of my own and was shocked to find I was easily drinking double the number of units recommended (14 units a week, about 6 pints of average strength beer or 7 glasses of wine) for men on a weekly basis. To that end I pretty much cut out daylight hours boozing (a real pastime here in France) and now hardly touch a drop, if at all till after 7pm at night. Its possible to be drinking here in almost any pub from 7am each morning. I feel so much the better for it. And my wallet is a little bit fatter each month.

Do you consider your own consumption to be a problem? Is it affecting your health? If so, is it a problem for others also? Obviously the poll attached is anonymous.
Last edited by Canuk on 19 Dec 2018, 10:47pm, edited 3 times in total.
fossala

Re: Do you drink too much?

Post by fossala »

Yes. I did drink too much, It crept up on me. In the end I was drinking about 20+ pints of beer a week. Stopped just over a year ago, doubt I'll ever start again. I was lucky that I don't think I was addicted so stopping was easy.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I used to think alcohol and I got on well together. I eventually came to realise that it always got drunk at my expense and then took the micturate out of me.

I now rarely drink alcohol.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Gave up nearly 29 years ago :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I often go out on a ride with the mechanic from our local bike shop. He's a proper dyed in the wool old school French drinker. Can easily drink two bottles of wine over lunch. He says his limit is 3 bottles a day, which would be twice the weekly limit (28 units) every day of the week. His performance on the bike is 'variable', some days he'll complain of a bad stomach (or 'the weather') and we'll never ride more than 40km, but I guess he'll not change until there's a dramatic change or deterioration in his health.

The problem in France is the availability and low cost of booze. This is compounded even moreso by our proximity to Spain where alcohol is even cheaper again. An okay bottle of wine here is about £2. A cheap one, £1.25. Just over the border in Spain it's possible to buy a 70cl bottle of 40 proof spirits for about £3.50 (rum or vodka). Which is great if you're someone who enjoys a glass or two a day but not so much if you have a problem with alcohol.
Last edited by Canuk on 19 Dec 2018, 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is there a lot of alcohol-related crime, violence, domestic violence, 'road accidents', chronic sickness, early death?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is there a lot of alcohol-related crime, violence, domestic violence, 'road accidents', chronic sickness, early death?

Alcohol related violence is virtually non existent, as its still considered a social faux pas to be seen drunk in public. But drink driving is a real problem here in rural France. There's a very low police presence and I don't think I've ever been stopped once in two years on any of the local roads (just as well sometimes as I've been well away on the bike a few times)! Mostly the police aren't interested unless you're speeding. Again this is compounded by the 'sans permit' culture: if you lose your licence you are still entitled to drive around in 50cc 'putt-putt' cars which I think are limited to 55km/h top speed.

As for early death, I don't know, perhaps the red wine mitigates the damage done by the alcohol. People seem to live a long time here before getting any serious health complications. I was just commenting to my wife the other day in a small restaurant that the only overweight person in the entire place (50 odd clients) was the owner, and that most of the men, even in their 60/70's were in remarkable good condition. There's a dramatic difference just in comparison to where we stayed previously in the UK, in Bristol, where the opposite was true.
Last edited by Canuk on 19 Dec 2018, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Option 4 should read "0-14 units (0-6 pints)".

Anyway, I'm putting myself down as a 'zero'. Though we do use some wine in cooking - for a few dishes only - and the occasional glass with our meal when in France. It averages out to pretty nearly zero, over time, though.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Canuk wrote:...the only overweight person in the entire place (50 odd clients) was the owner...
One curiosity I've noticed for a long time, is that most of the checkout aisles at French supermarkets are a lot narrower than they are in UK. A very obese person might well find it hard to squeeze through, and may have to resort to the 'wheelchair' aisle. Is there some message in this?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

661-Pete wrote:
Canuk wrote:...the only overweight person in the entire place (50 odd clients) was the owner...
One curiosity I've noticed for a long time, is that most of the checkout aisles at French supermarkets are a lot narrower than they are in UK. A very obese person might well find it hard to squeeze through, and may have to resort to the 'wheelchair' aisle. Is there some message in this?

French people are definitely getting fatter. Especially older women and kids. I guess the advent of McDonald's in most small /medium sized towns is not helping. But on the whole taking regular exercise (walking is very popular here, especially in groups) and eating a good diet high in meat /poultry and low in carbohydrates makes for a generally slim and active population. I asked our postman what age they retired at, and he said 'I'm off next year'. He looks in his early 40's, but he's a grandfather of 64!

My neighbours across the way are 85, 80 and a couple in their late 60's. The older woman rides the bike every single day of the week, hail or shine and the couple cycle to see their mother and to the shops I'd say at least 5 times a week. It's very unusual to see an overweight person in the village, and if you do, they are normally a Brit or an American on holiday :lol:
Last edited by Canuk on 19 Dec 2018, 11:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have a bottle of champagne given me by a client that must be vintage by now. How long does Champagne keep? I think I will have to open it this year at News Years Eve or maybe keep it for Brexit?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm no wine expert, but I've been told that Champagne does not keep well. Open it now (and taste it before serving it up to any friends you want to keep!)

Reminds me - I believe we have a bottle of cheap sparkling wine (not champagne) in our drinks cupboard, which has been gathering dust there ever since our wedding in 1982. Trouble is, no-one likes the stuff. Must root it out. It must surely be undrinkable now - only fit for the drain - and the bottle for the recycling bin...
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I see no one so far admits to drinking at all! Only me then :oops:

It is an anonymous poll, and it's better (for you at least) if you are honest about your consumption!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yoo hoo. Most weeks I'll be around 14 +/- units. Wife & I shared a bottle of champagne last Friday and felt awful on Saturday, so we're entirely self-limiting.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Canuk wrote:I see no one so far admits to drinking at all! Only me then :oops:

It is an anonymous poll, and it's better (for you at least) if you are honest about your consumption!

What is the socio-economic status of the locals, any rich people from Paris, any from other parts of France, strangers, foreigners? (Apart from you :wink:)