Gatwick Drones

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Gatwick Drones

Postby Cunobelin » 20 Dec 2018, 6:06am

Gatwick has been closed due to Drone(s) over the runway causing safety concerns

They are trying to locate the operators

Why bother..... there are armed Police, must shoot the things down!

Then identify the serial numbers and trace the owners

Canuk

Re: Gatwick Drones

Postby Canuk » 20 Dec 2018, 7:41am

Cunobelin wrote:Gatwick has been closed due to Drone(s) over the runway causing safety concerns

Drones under 250gr in weight (the vast majority sold in the uk) are not required to be registered at all. The only rule for airports is that you must be at least 1000m away when operating it. AFAIK serial numbers don't mean zip on a drone as you're not required to register them either. So pretty much anonymous flying objects.

Which seems odd to me because in the wrong hands they could make pretty good payload delivery systems. And shoot them down? You'd have to be a crack shot to hit such a small aerial moving target at 500m altitude.

Also, did you not think about live fire up into a busy, commercial airspace? Deadly.
Last edited by Canuk on 20 Dec 2018, 7:45am, edited 3 times in total.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Dec 2018, 7:42am

Suspect
a. Not easy to hit
b. Danger of collateral damage significant

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Dec 2018, 9:00am

I remember, last time I called in at Maplins (before they went bust), they had several flashy-looking drones on prominent display in the window. I will state categorically that that wasn't what I went there to buy! :roll:

What's the point in them? Recreationally, are they any advance on model fixed-wing aircraft, which have been around for years, mostly without causing trouble? (Although there was one dreadful incident some years ago when a hang-glider pilot was killed following a collision with a model aircraft).

Perhaps it's because they require little or no skill to fly - unlike model aircraft.

Other uses: well the criminal fraternity seem to have latched on to the wretched things, as an easy means of smuggling stuff into or out of prison...

And Am*z*n - is it true that they're using the things for deliveries? Not in my parish (but then I don't buy all that much from that outfit). I reckon I'd be scared ****less if one of those things came buzzing around my front door. And how would it ring the doorbell?

Bin the whole lot of 'em - that's my take - irrespective of size, power or cost. Serve no useful purpose.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Dec 2018, 9:08am

How's this as a scenario:

They can be operated from anywhere in the world.
They were launched locally of course, and when they run low on power, they return to where they were launched from, or to a predetermined spot.
Meanwhile, the launcher person has done a bunk, and launched another one from another place.
When they come down, they are just left there.
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Dec 2018, 9:51am

There was work being done on drone-catching drones, which should avoid the collateral damage arising from shooting them down, but I guess they're not in use yet.

Registration or sale restrictions won't work. The main effect would be to limit legitimate use - and some of those users are who's likely to figure out solutions to this problem. Counter measures and punishments are better ways.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Dec 2018, 10:09am

This reminds me very much of the 'green laser' problem: equally loutish behaviour which has beset aviation in recent years. Trouble is, drone flyers are less easy to pin down than laser idiots, so it seems.

I recall one incident of being 'lasered' and can bear testimony that they are exceedingly bright, even at a distance of some 3-4 miles! I wasn't in an aircraft, thankfully: we were on a ferry in Indonesia, taking us to the island where we were going to watch an eclipse. The laser was being flashed from somewhere on the island we had just left. At that distance, it was hardly going to damage my eyesight nor anyone else's, but to an aircraft pilot it would certainly have been disconcerting and a serious hazard.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 20 Dec 2018, 10:20am

Mick F wrote:How's this as a scenario:

They were launched locally of course, and when they run low on power, they return to where they were launched from, or to a predetermined spot.
Meanwhile, the launcher person has done a bunk, and launched another one from another place.

My grandsons drone is placed on a table in the back garden ... he retires to his bedroom, puts on his VR goggles and flies his drone within a 2 mile radius of the house .... he gets live telemetry on the head up display in his VR goggles and when the power reaches a pre determined level if he ignores the warning the drone returned to its launch location and lands automatically .... the pilot of these drones could be in afghanistan ... which would be ironic.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Dec 2018, 10:23am

GPEOD on RN frigates.
General Purpose Elecro-Optical Device.

It is an infra-red and laser unit high on the foremast used for directing the main gunnery and missile systems and would track an enemy aircraft passively or actively. It has a very high-powered laser and would blind anyone instantly if required.
HMS Sutherland2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Dec 2018, 10:26am

landsurfer wrote:
Mick F wrote:How's this as a scenario:

My grandsons drone is placed on a table in the back garden ... he retires to his bedroom, puts on his VR goggles and flies his drone within a 2 mile radius of the house .... he gets live telemetry on the head up display in his VR goggles and when the power reaches a pre determined level if he ignores the warning the drone returned to its launch location and lands automatically .... the pilot of these drones could be in afghanistan ... which would be ironic.
Yep.
Anywhere in the world. All it needs is for someone to launch it and then do a bunk.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Dec 2018, 10:50am

Cunobelin wrote:So Gatwick has been closed due to Drone(s) over the runway causing safety concerns

many fly too high for that?thats the trouble. Think of all the wonderful YoyTube videos that have been shot using them shows what they can do
I have mused over the idea that a small one with camera might be a usful tourist device to see whats ahead, if you are in un charted territory.
I wonder how long before terrorist think of using one - zoom in and drop one with a bomb in Oxford st say on the last saturday before xmas?

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Dec 2018, 1:34pm

Hello there, I thought I had finished for the recess?
But DRONES. What about the muppets who choose to fly the blooming things in main city streets.
One trendy gadget shop in Lord Street, Liverpool was flying one of the "Toys" right in front of the shop. Hundreds of pedestrians going about their lawful business, with the stupid thing 50ft above them!
I made it abundantly clear to the shop staff that if they didn't immediately stop I would call the Police. Fortunately they did.
Way back when I used to watch model aircrafts in flight, all sites had to follow a strict code of conduct, which they did, because the possibility of a prang causing a fatality was very real.
These days it would appear such an attitude is not popular, MM

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Dec 2018, 2:31pm

merseymouth wrote:Way back when I used to watch model aircrafts in flight, all sites had to follow a strict code of conduct, which they did, because the possibility of a prang causing a fatality was very real.
These days it would appear such an attitude is not popular, MM

Aren't model aircraft rather heavier than most drones, so injuries would be worse?

Examples:
· A DJI Spark drone is 300g. More restrictive regulations kick in at 3.5kg.
· A Seagull Extra 260 model aircraft is 5.2kg. More restrictive regulations kick in at 20kg.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 20 Dec 2018, 3:16pm

https://www.electronicproducts.com/Aerospace/Aircraft/5_of_the_worst_drone_related_accidents.aspx

2015 article on common drone injuries. There's plenty of images showing injuries. It's not just the unguarded blades on some drones. There's other modes of injury.

So weight is realy irrelevant. The light ones can cause harm. Personally I don't like the way you cast still buy unguarded drones even now. You can buy guards as an aftermarket extra though. Why not make them compulsory? One less issue with them.

A campsite we were at had one flying overhead a bit too much for my liking. Annoying buzz. It didn't have guarded blades and more than once flew a bit too low through pilot incompetence I reckon. The pilot I saw flying it (possibly not the my one to fly it but the one I saw) was about 9 or 10 in age.

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Dec 2018, 3:23pm

Tangled Metal wrote:https://www.electronicproducts.com/Aerospace/Aircraft/5_of_the_worst_drone_related_accidents.aspx

2015 article on common drone injuries. There's plenty of images showing injuries. It's not just the unguarded blades on some drones. There's other modes of injury.

So weight is realy irrelevant.

I was with you until there. MM mentions model aircraft killing people, but that list of 5 of the worst drone injuries has no fatalities - one of the five has no injuries at all! So it doesn't seem like weight is irrelevant to the harm they do. Drones can still do harm, but it seems less.

Tangled Metal wrote:The light ones can cause harm. Personally I don't like the way you cast still buy unguarded drones even now. You can buy guards as an aftermarket extra though. Why not make them compulsory? One less issue with them.

That seems like it would be a good idea. Is there any drawback except the slight weight increase?