Gatwick Drones

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Gatwick Drones

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is generally understood that it is not the severity of a sentence that is the deterrent but the likelihood of being caught.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 21 Dec 2018, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

And now, in return for his failure to prepare for this threat, anyone living near airports gets a coal-shaped Christmas present from Failing Grayling: sleepless nights as the night flying restrictions are lifted! https://www.reuters.com/article/britain ... B?rpc=401&
(Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0 - yes, I'm surprised that smug smirk is an officially-shared photo, too.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Flights suspended again due to possible drone!
Debs

Post by Debs »

Canuk wrote:
pete75 wrote:Brexit voters in action. What lovely people....

[youtube]mppVchHyaiA[/youtube]

What relevance does this have in any way whatsoever to Drones over Gatwick? :roll:

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Debs wrote:Image
As I thought. Good find! :lol:

Now this gives me an idea. How can I get hold of one of these things, and programme it to make an incursion into Downing St.? Carrying a suitable payload of course....

....and before I get the MI5 heavies descending on me en masse, let me point out that I'm of the "non-violence" persuasion. A battery of stink-bombs or similar, are more what I had in mind...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Who needs a drone?

[youtube]xoxhDk-hwuo[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
Debs wrote:Image
As I thought. Good find! :lol:

Now this gives me an idea. How can I get hold of one of these things, and programme it to make an incursion into Downing St.? Carrying a suitable payload of course....

....and before I get the MI5 heavies descending on me en masse, let me point out that I'm of the "non-violence" persuasion. A battery of stink-bombs or similar, are more what I had in mind...

Somehow I don't think that would put them off in the unlikely event they wanted to talk to you about it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Who needs a drone?

[youtube]xoxhDk-hwuo[/youtube]

eh stealing my video thread :wink:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=126970
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[youtube]X27-2WDIZR0[/youtube]
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Grayling is an utter tool. The moment he doored a cyclist he utterly and irrevocably undermined any tiny shred of credibility as Transport Secretary.

As for Gatwick, they were offered a new RPAS Area Denial system earlier this year, but turned it down saying they "didnt need it", which roughly translates as "we aint spending forty grand!" Well, their reluctance to spend a few quid earlier in the year has cost individuals, businesses and the country tens if millions.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

This story has done one good thing. It has highlighted the treat posed by drone technology. We must now consider how this could be used by terrorists to deliver bombs or chemical weapons at major public events. They are already delivering drugs and phones to prisoners.

My own personal view is that we cannot hope to get to grips with that threat while drones are on sale as toys. If they were banned there would be an illegal market, but at least people could then be arrested for possession. If you are caught loitering near a prison wall with a drone at the moment you cannot have it taken off you unless you are seen using it.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Santa Drone.jpg
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that the technology is already there - these things have some for of radio control - but the authorities are behind the curve, in the lingo.

At the very least, it must be easy to transmit a stronger signal which would disable the operator's control and beyond that, to locate the operator, perhaps by some form of triangulation. As pwa implies, this should concentrate some minds. I don't think they are bothered much about prisons, but air travel is a biggy.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

we need a anti-drone killer drone?
pwa

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:I suspect that the technology is already there - these things have some for of radio control - but the authorities are behind the curve, in the lingo.

At the very least, it must be easy to transmit a stronger signal which would disable the operator's control and beyond that, to locate the operator, perhaps by some form of triangulation. As pwa implies, this should concentrate some minds. I don't think they are bothered much about prisons, but air travel is a biggy.

They don't have to be radio controlled. They can be pre-programmed and fly with no signal.